Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Springs
No, one of them must have gone whilst sat on my driveway (hence the rust in the break). The other one must have gone en-route. I didnt feel it go, but there was a whole inch of height missing from journey start to end.
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
not good that Paul, but at least you and your car are ok, and that is the main thing.

I've had my springs on for 6 years now, and the only 'twanging' noises I had were cured
when PJ Grady fitted my new track rod ends.

I've never had any other suspension issues, which is good really considering the way I used
to throw the car into the bends when going round Donington circuit Mr Green
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
My springs definitely twang. You only need to push down on the wing to hear it. I can only imagine it's the spring rotating?
VIN 7176
DOC 643
No, thats what I was told. But they were properly seated. The twang is more likely to be poor structure of the spings themselves. Not the overall structure, I mean the metallic properties.
sorry to see this. So are these aftermarket springs then - where'd you get em originally?
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
They are the ones Chris P supplies... Only recently any problems seem to have been surfacing though. Could be iffy batches perhaps? But then Birksie has had his for ages, and both mine and Dan's twang and we got ours quite a while apart...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
ahh right. I ust admit I've never heard of stock springs going like this.

My Lag had one of its springs fractured in two pieces.

Two shocks going on the same car? christ.
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
I brought my set about 4 years ago and have had no problems. Maybe the steel used in some batches were brought in from the eastern block countries or china and used by the manufacturers unbeknown to anyone apart from them, maybe this is why a few are dodgy TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Tourettes Tony Wrote:I brought my set about 4 years ago and have had no problems. Maybe the steel used in some batches were brought in from the eastern block countries or china and used by the manufacturers unbeknown to anyone apart from them, maybe this is why a few are dodgy TT

Am seeing this on a lot of cars at the moment (broken springs) all fail within a few years of production. common opinion seems to be along the same lines TT wrote, poor quality recycled steel.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I agree.
Also, once these springs had been made, the quality control was either highly negligable, or non-existant. There are too many poor springs out there for it to be a "One off" or fluke.
The 'distributor' of these springs should have some form of supporting documentation that they are manufactured in line with BS1726-1:2002.

If that cannot be produced then along with recent failures you might want to look at alternative sources.
Chris, when you said that you've seen broken springs on many cars did you mean all makes in your line of work or were you talking about just Deloreans?
The Hoopers Wrote:Chris, when you said that you've seen broken springs on many cars did you mean all makes in your line of work or were you talking about just Deloreans?

Yes sorry re-read it and it's not clear, I did mean in my work on newer cars rather than DeLorean specific. Even the ones on my wifes Rover 75 have bust on the front, infact there was a recall to replace them all at some point in the first year of production, however our's missed it.:roll:
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
....and as I've said to a couple of people, has anyone actually contacted the supplier
of their springs to make them aware that there might be a problem?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Ive not personally contacted the supplier, but ive been told the supplier is fully aware of the situation.