Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how did you fit the fuel filter 90 degree entry fitting?
Hi

i am just changing the fuel filter (again), and has been a b**ger to remove.

now how have you fitting your bottom entry, the one with the 90 degree elbow?.

did you use copper washers?. My old one had ptfe type tape which i do not think is right.

and did you remove the elbow, as now cannot get it to budge (and don't want to damage the steel fuel line)

the exit i have a banjo, 2 washers and new fuel line to fuel distributor unit.

thanx all

Regards

Steve
vin 1621
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
I too had the same problem a few years back as it wouldnt budge, WD'd it for a week and no matter how hard it wouldnt come off ...

Yes 'exit' to fuel dist should be a bango bolt with 2 copper washers ...

I ended up with one of these on the flow into the filter

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/ ... ection.jpg

Meant cutting the exisitng elbow off and fuel clamping the rubber hose over the metal fuel line..

Still works 4 years later ...
The elbow is easy to remove if you know the magic trick...

Now if I was in it for the money I'd keep it to myself.....but since I'm the Technical Advisor and I'm a nice chap, it would be wrong to do that :wink:

You need two hammers

It's difficult to get in there, but it can be done.

Lightly do up the pipe nut (finger tight is plenty), then simultaneously (and at the same time) give it a good whack either side with both hammers. The pipe will drop off like it was never stuck.

Trust me it does work Mr Green
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Try not to create any sparks though! I remember having this issue a while back and it did come apart with a struggle, crap design though! SpecialT's solution does seem a good idea but I think I might want something a bit more secure than a jubilee clip for the pumped side of the filter.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
No problem Chris

.... well not a jubillee clip its a proper fuel line clip (well actually 2 of them!) and if you see how and where the fuel hose attaches to the metal line you can see it wont come off ...

Your more than welcome to take a look this weekend and try thou Chris ... I know I have Wink Smile
That's much better then. It's a good replacement solution, but in the picture it showed just one J/clip which I'm sure you would aggree is not really satisfactory for a high pressure fuel hose. But as with all John stuff is a good solution to Deloreans common problems and is a great guy to deal with
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
hi

this side of the fuel system should not be under to much pressure should it?

yes the 90 degree will not unscrew, but the fuel filter is off.

this is the one i meant....did you use copper washers between elbow and filter??

so will fit fuel line onto filter, then under car screw filter onto elbow, otherwise cannot get to the top of the filter to fit top banjo. (why put the filter there???)

hate working with fuel systems!, was underneath last night with petrol running down my arm.

Steve
vin 1621
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Hey Steve

If you like i can chat on the phone about this , done 2 or 3 now might be easier

Droip me a number to call on Im only updating 'stuff' for the weekend

Regards

Mike

steve.s Wrote:hi

this side of the fuel system should not be under to much pressure should it?

yes the 90 degree will not unscrew, but the fuel filter is off.

this is the one i meant....did you use copper washers between elbow and filter??

so will fit fuel line onto filter, then under car screw filter onto elbow, otherwise cannot get to the top of the filter to fit top banjo. (why put the filter there???)

hate working with fuel systems!, was underneath last night with petrol running down my arm.

Steve
vin 1621