Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting New Roll Bar Bushes
Just received my front sway bar kit from DPNW and I just wondered if there was anything
I should know before I install the bushes.
  • What do i need to disconnect 1st?
    Is anything likly to fly off and hit me?
    Can I do this on my drive on ramps?

Any pics or tips welcome, battle will commence 0900hrs Wednesday!

a break for Aircon re-gas and a pasty @ 14:30 and then TABs in the Afternoon :-)

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Good luck, took Mike and I about 3 hours to swap the lot over, using pit, blocks of wood, lump hammer, me swinging on the anti roll bar as nimble fingered Mike installed the bolts.

Hardest part is drifting in the new silicon bushes in the lower arms. Tip to use silicone lubricant to help them initially slide in.

Get your geometry checked after too.

NickT
"Nimble Fingered Mike"... Now that does have a ring to it Wink

Yeh agreed ... get a friend to give you a hand, as with a lot of these car repairs its going to be far easier (and more fun)... Im not sure putting the front end of the car on ramps is such a great idea, there was a lot of tugging to get the anti roll bar on / off ...but if you do make sure the wheels are all chocked up safe etc ...

You will need good access round the back on the lower control arm to get the poly bushing in just bear that in mind too...

All the best..
When I did mine, the anti rollbar was wider than the distance between the 2 wishbones. I did it on my own. I got a ratchet strap round the bar to squeeze it in so it lined right up to the holes.

The bushes slipped in ok with the lubricant they supply. I just tapped them into place with an old socket.

Once the bar is in you will find it needs to be lifted up to the front of the chassis. I just used a trolley jack to bring it up, then put the bolts into the chassis.
VIN: 6511
Lump hammers? Drifts? Ratchet Straps?

Good grief my D must be feeling generous to me for that job :lol:

Jack the front end of the car up on axel stands, remove both front wheels.

Take out the four bolts holding the bar to the front chassis. The bar will drop by a couple of inches - watch yer teeth

Undo the two nuts on each side holding the roll bar to the lower arms - note the order of the various washers. Pull out one end, it'll boing out by a bit.

Fit new bush to each end.

Slot one end of the antiroll bar into one of the arms, fit other half of bush and loosely fit the nut. Push in the other side, you'll have to give it a bit of a bend but not nothing to break a sweat.

Slot in the other bush, loosely fit the nut.

Push the antiroll bar up against the chassis and fit the two front bushes - this can sometimes be a bit tricky - I pushed the bar up using my shoulder whilst I got the bolts in a few turns.

Torque everything up.

Don't try and do this with the wheels on the floor unless you want to make the job very difficult for yourself.

TABs

Auto or Manual?

Manual: Not Bad
Auto: Nightmare
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Did you use the kit from DPNW or use new oem style bushes Rich??

NickT

RichH Wrote:Lump hammers? Drifts? Ratchet Straps?

Good grief my D must be feeling generous to me for that job :lol:

Jack the front end of the car up on axel stands, remove both front wheels.

Take out the four bolts holding the bar to the front chassis. The bar will drop by a couple of inches - watch yer teeth

Undo the two nuts on each side holding the roll bar to the lower arms - note the order of the various washers. Pull out one end, it'll boing out by a bit.

Fit new bush to each end.

Slot one end of the antiroll bar into one of the arms, fit other half of bush and loosely fit the nut. Push in the other side, you'll have to give it a bit of a bend but not nothing to break a sweat.

Slot in the other bush, loosely fit the nut.

Push the antiroll bar up against the chassis and fit the two front bushes - this can sometimes be a bit tricky - I pushed the bar up using my shoulder whilst I got the bolts in a few turns.

Torque everything up.

Don't try and do this with the wheels on the floor unless you want to make the job very difficult for yourself.

TABs

Auto or Manual?

RichH Wrote:Don't try and do this with the wheels on the floor unless you want to make the job very difficult for yourself.
So I should raise the car on axle stands so the weight if off the wheels or will my ramps be suitable, do I have to remove the wheels?

RichH Wrote:TABs
Auto or Manual?
It's an auto, but I'm not too worried about the tabs, I've had a good long look at them and I'm not too concerned, I can see why it's aqward.

Thanks for the info, i'll print it off and take it with me.

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
I don't think it matters, but probably easier to have to car on axle stands with wheels off to give yourself a bit more room round the arms to pull and poke about with the lower arms.

However you will have a job to get the roll bar attached to the front of the chassis without the suspension squashed down, so I bolted it up to the front of the chassis with the wheels back on and suspension squashed down under the cars weight.

Rich says he raised the bar up with his shoulder to start the bolts off. If thats the case then no way does he have the DPNW bushes in. They are far too hard for that.

Are you planning on doing this job tomorrow james? I could always lend a hand if you get stuck, your only up the road.
Dan1986 Wrote:I don't think it matters, but probably easier to have to car on axle stands with wheels off to give yourself a bit more room round the arms to pull and poke about with the lower arms.

However you will have a job to get the roll bar attached to the front of the chassis without the suspension squashed down, so I bolted it up to the front of the chassis with the wheels back on and suspension squashed down under the cars weight.

Rich says he raised the bar up with his shoulder to start the bolts off. If thats the case then no way does he have the DPNW bushes in. They are far too hard for that.

Are you planning on doing this job tomorrow james? I could always lend a hand if you get stuck, your only up the road.

Hi Dan,

Yep I'm doing it tommorrow (Today now) Wednesday, I'm dropping Jane off at the station at 8:30 and then heading over to Mersea Island where the car is 11 Firs Hamlet CO5 8NF

I should be there from 9, i may call you and take you up on your offer of help!

have you got a number i can contact you on.

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
To reply to your first question, I did do this job using car ramps and the DPNW bushes, not to difficult a task other than getting the bushes in the lower control arms. From memory I had to 'pull' them in using a long nut and bolt and very large washers! But I found it easier to get the anti roll bar back in by having the weight of the car on the wheels as it lifted the LCA higher up. May be even easier with two doing the job though..

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
RichH Wrote:Don't try and do this with the wheels on the floor unless you want to make the job very difficult for yourself.

JamesRGUK Wrote:So I should raise the car on axle stands so the weight if off the wheels or will my ramps be suitable, do I have to remove the wheels?

RichH Wrote:Jack the front end of the car up on axel stands, remove both front wheels.

That'll be a yes then :wink:
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Just spoke to JRG on loudspeaker lol...he has the pass side tab in and was about to look at the front side of things.

Sounds like he is cracking on well.
Blimey ...no stopping him then !

Tab bolts on an auto ...what a pain ....
Tab bolts with the body off and engine out..... :wink: :lol:
Dan1986 Wrote:Tab bolts with the body off and engine out..... :wink: :lol:

mmmm, wish I had thought of that when I did mine, 'hindsight a wonderful thing'

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584