Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BROKEN KEY !!!
Hi all.
Managed to get my DeLorean to the local fixit guy to replace my water pump, only to get there and the ignition key break off in the ignition!!!!!
Anyone know how to get the broken bit out?
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
Can't imagine this is just a D specific problem - have you tried scouring google and other forums like pistonheads?

Good luck, sounds like a right sh*tter :x
VIN 7176
DOC 643
try a match or thin bit of plastic with super glue on it leave it about an hour then try to pull it out, failing that remove the barrel and tap it from the other side it may work paul TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Ive not looked on pistonheads no.
I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and how they dealt with it?
Is there an ingenious way of removing the broken bit, or does it mean buying the new cylinder and key?

Right bloody timing eh!
Someone doesnt want me to go to Eurotec in the D!
as long as you get the bit out you can get another cut no probs, why cant we all live together in a religious sect that way we can help each other :lol: :lol: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Yeah. I vote you as Minister David Koresh the DeLorean Cult Leader. Shock
Cheers for the info anyway tony. I think i'll give the superglue thingy a go.
With the broken key in the barrel I assume you can turn the car on and off with a flat blade screwdriver? Not ideal but means it can still go to eurotec :wink:

Did the water pump get fitted all ok though?
VIN: 6511
Yes was just going to say you can still use the bit of key left to start the car ?
Its the last 3rd of the key that has broken off. If you wiggle the other 2/3rds of it in, it will work.
I'll see how it is tomorrow when I pick my car up from having the new pump fitted.

Id rather take the bit out if I can (before Eurotec) Dont fancy having to do it after a stop on some services somewhere.
If there is any of the jey sticking out can you use long nose pliers to pull it out?

NickT
I know there is a cost involved but a good automotive locksmith would get this out within a couple of mins, without dismantling the barrel. Unfortunatly I dont know of any in your area, as I'm 'down south'. sorry cant be more helpful..
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
OK Chris. Cheers.