Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Warning Light
I've been trying to get the car ready for Eurotec and thought I had managed just that when it passed its MOT on friday…BUT, I took it out at the weekend and whist it was fine for a day then gave me an oil warning light, which seems to come off and on intermittently. The oil pressure gauge has not worked since I bought the car.

It had an oil change just before the MOT and seems to be running fine, but obviously I'd like to make sure there's nothing wrong before driving it away for the weekend. Is this is likely to be just a problem with the warning light? One suggestion I've had was that I'd used too light an oil and changing to something heavier would put the light out, but that was based on an experience with a different car.

Help!
Chris Bale
Norwich, Norfolk

DOC# 528 / VIN# 2325
Is the wire that goes to the oil pressure sending unit (Near where the CAT is ...This triggers the warning light ) clean and making a good contact ?

Has this sensor been replaced?

Obviously the correct level of oil is showing on the dip stick Wink
Hey Chris,

I had this issue a couple of years back and as Mike said I just cleaned the contact on the sender.

If you get stuck give me a shout!!
Cheers for the advice guys, i'm headed out to my parents tomorrow so i'll give it a try and let you know how i get on.
Chris Bale
Norwich, Norfolk

DOC# 528 / VIN# 2325
If it turns out to be a new sender , get one from Ed perhaps? , I can soon give you a hand to fit it at Eurotec if you need it matey....
Right,

The contact on the sender looked a bit crap and the wire was melted where it had rested on the Cat so this morning i've replaced the wire. The light still hasn't gone out though.

Is there any way I can test if the sender is duff or anything else I should be looking at? I don't fancy staring at that light all the way to Hunstanton.
Chris Bale
Norwich, Norfolk

DOC# 528 / VIN# 2325
Chris,

The oil warning light is ground switched, so dirty contacts are actually more likely to make the light go off.

Disconnect the oil pressure switch completely - does the light go OFF?

If so, then the oil pressure switch, or something more sinister is the problem

If the light stays ON then you have a short circuit to ground, somewhere along the wire.

You should be able to make the light come on or off simply by connecting or dissconecting the terminal at the sensor end to ground.

The oil pressure switches are easily repairable by dissassembly, and can be removed without draining the oil.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Cheers Rich,

I've just tested that and if you disconnect the sensor the light stays on.

Am I therefore right in saying that the warning light is not the result of anything the engine is doing and I can drive the car to eurotec without worrying, where perhaps I might find a willing volunteer to help fix it?
Chris Bale
Norwich, Norfolk

DOC# 528 / VIN# 2325
Quote:Am I therefore right in saying that the warning light is not the result of anything the engine is doing

Correct. There is a short to ground somewhere in your wiring.

Quote:and I can drive the car to eurotec without worrying

Welllll......Assuming your engine has the correct amount of oil in it, and assuming that your oil pump is working, then yes.

Disclaimer: Do bear in mind that although the warning light is coming on due to a wiring fault, doesn't mean to say your oil system is OK. :wink:

Does your oil pressure gauge show pressure is OK?
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
so Rich, rumour has it your not happy with your wheels then mate :wink: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
There's plenty of oil in the car and to the best of my knowledge the oil pump works, unfortunately the oil pressure gauge hasn't in all the time i've had the car.

I'm sure I once read somewhere this was a common problem due to a volvo sensor not being calibrated to the gauge (it always reads off the top of the scale) is that right?
Chris Bale
Norwich, Norfolk

DOC# 528 / VIN# 2325
Tourettes Tony Wrote:so Rich, rumour has it your not happy with your wheels then mate :wink: TT

LOL !!

OMG Rich ... Top right wheel ... not your poor DeLorean ?? !!! Smile

http://www.totalwheelworks.co.uk/page3.html

Hope you get it sorted soon Rich .....
Thunderchild Wrote:There's plenty of oil in the car and to the best of my knowledge the oil pump works, unfortunately the oil pressure gauge hasn't in all the time i've had the car.

I'm sure I once read somewhere this was a common problem due to a volvo sensor not being calibrated to the gauge (it always reads off the top of the scale) is that right?

....its prob just the sender thats failed bud ... many D'd Ive seen has this

I can have a look if you like over the weekend , if its faluty and again if Ed has one then no problem helping you fit this....