Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixed door glass
Hi again.

Today I stripped out the glass and cleaned the old glue off. Actually the glass was held in with silicon sealant before which probably explains why it came out so easily and why the seal was all loose and nasty.

Now its all clean I have a question about the little metal tabs that are around the window frame. In the picture below you can see what I mean. Is the glass suposed to press up to these tabs, or tuck in behind them where the red line is?

[Image: window1.jpg]

Another question. I cleaned the goo off my glass and was wondering if the tiger seal would stick ok to bare glass. Normal car windscreens have a black coating around where they glue, do I need to paint somthing on the edge first?

[Image: window2.jpg]

And finnaly one last question!! I tried to get tiger seal today with no luck localy but found this stuff. Is this stuff the same thing or should I wait and get tiger seal?

[Image: window3.jpg]
VIN: 6511
PU-Flex isnt that the stuff them women advertise on the TV you know the one TT :wink:
on a more serious note tho that is the gear mate but use disposable gloves.
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Yeh good shout TT...

No need to 'prime' the glass just make sure its grease free.

Dont go too silly with it its a blood y pain to get off... perhaps mask off round the outside edge of the door and on the glass to ensure none gets to places you didnt want it to go....

Modern glass has the black bit round the edge to help mask the panels underneath.

Sorry no idea where the glass sits but where was the piece 'sat' that you took out ?
It was pressed against the outside of a couple and tucked behind others. Basically not done properly at all.

I would assume its meant to be tucked behind all the clips but wanted to check before sticking it in.
VIN: 6511
PU Adhesive, yes, that's the stuff.

Gloves a good idea, yes - that is till you get the adhesive on them, then they stick together and become a pain...

If you do get it on your skin, DON'T use cellulose thinners to get it off. Although cellulose thinners will dissolve it, which is good for wiping it off the panels, it will make a right mess of your hands (trust me)

I didn't have those clips on my door, so I can't comment...

Don't worry about getting the adhesive on the glass, in fact around the edges I would recomended it. Once the adhesive has fully cured, if you use a new Stanley blade, you can scrape it off and trim it to leave a really neat job.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
.... i can just imagine what would happen if i was to use a stanley knife blade on my nice new window .... :roll: :lol:

Our fitters use masking tape on things they dont want to get silicone sealant onto so when your done just peal it off whilst the stuff is still wet ...leaves a nice clean edge ... just my 2p bud....

Just been to pop off the trim along the side of the window, mine too has those clips and the fixed glass is butted up to them on the outside edge....