Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LJH... nearly back on the road
Spent the last day and a half in the garage.
LJH is nearly sorted.
Replacing the seals on the top of the doors. While I was at it took off the T panel and sorted
the annoying central locking problem that the car has had off and on since I have owned it.
Decided I was going to fix it once and for all!
I fitted a Lockzilla and new solenoids years ago but it never fully sorted the locking problems.

The problem was with one of the connectors in the roof, which needed a good clean. I had noticed
the drivers door was only locking at one end so I adjusted that. The passenger door was also not unlocking correctly. This was a bit of a head scratcher (time for a brew!) until I noticed the solenoid moving on its mounts. The bolts had worked loose over time Doh! Put a dab of thread lock on the mounting bolts on both sides and now it works perfectly.

Just thought I'd check the electric windows while I had the doors striped. Passenger side not working
:roll: . I am sure the car is paying me back for being laid up for four years :lol:
Anyway a bit of the DeLorean owners best friend, electrical contact cleaner :wink: sorted that.

Just got to finish putting 1 top seal on and a inner seal and paint the rear louvers. Oh and put all
the door trim back on!

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
great stuff Nick Smile

Looking forward to seeing you and LJH at Gaydon next month Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thanks Claire, Looking forward to Gaydon Big Grin .

Finished off the car this weekend. Rear louver turned out better than I thought.
Changed oil and filter, changed coolent. Screen Washer motor packed up again! So
took a trip to Millfield Autos and got a new one.
Renewed courtesy light switches with some from Halfords. Lights work a lot more reliably.

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
have you done the mod to your washer bottle? Its a common failure point on De's, basically
the pump ends up sitting in water which renders it fubar.

You'll need to drill a hole in the area that the pump sits in to allow excess water to drain out.
Think if mine went I would put an 'inline' one in somewhere else
funny that when i got my car in 2004 the washer pump was the only thing that worked :lol: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Well in that case i never realised you must have got yours about the same time as mine Wink ... hows the years fly by ....
yes they do, funny tho i was only 40 as well :lol: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Quote:have you done the mod to your washer bottle? Its a common failure point on De's, basically
the pump ends up sitting in water which renders it fubar.

You'll need to drill a hole in the area that the pump sits in to allow excess water to drain out.

Thank's for the tip Claire, Checked the washer bottle and it already has the mod.
I think the pump leaks past its internal seals over time and lack of use. Then it rusts any bearings and seizes up. In which case fubar again. (fubar I like that :lol: if it's not Tango its Cash?)
However this does make me a dab hand at DMC washer pump replacement :wink: .
If it goes again I put in a "inline" job.

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
Just like to say thanks to Nick T as one of his old post's on engine hunting has sorted a problem I have had with LJH.

Unpluged the lambda sensor and it stopped hunting. So it was running rich. How rich??
Decided to invest in a digital exhaust gas tester. Rather than try and get a garage to mess with it.
I think it was messed up by a garage playing around with it in the first place!

Turns out is was chucking lumps of coal out the back! 9.2% CO Shock . Intresting as its just passed
its MOT... :?
LJH has a Cat bypass pipe so set it 1 to 1.5% CO that Nick T mentioned. Settled on 1.2% CO.
Now it runs very sweet Big Grin

A very satisfying hours work 8)

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
Nick H Wrote:Just like to say thanks to Nick T as one of his old post's on engine hunting has sorted a problem I have had with LJH.

Unpluged the lambda sensor and it stopped hunting. So it was running rich. How rich??
Decided to invest in a digital exhaust gas tester. Rather than try and get a garage to mess with it.
I think it was messed up by a garage playing around with it in the first place!

Turns out is was chucking lumps of coal out the back! 9.2% CO Shock . Intresting as its just passed
its MOT... :?
LJH has a Cat bypass pipe so set it 1 to 1.5% CO that Nick T mentioned. Settled on 1.2% CO.
Now it runs very sweet Big Grin

A very satisfying hours work 8)

Nick H

Nice one !!!!!!!!!

NickT
Back on the road! Big Grin . Took LJH for a spin yesterday.
Drove over to Leicester (with RAC card just in case :winkSmile to set up layout for Lionel club show.
Made the day of a mate of mine giving him a ride in the D'.

New lowered front end improves the vis and the handling. Springs are settling down.

Car was spot on, ran perfect even in the Friday evening rush hour traffic. Only issue to have a look at was brakes which were a little spongy. Need re-bleeding before I take her out again.

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
great news Nick, looking forward to seeing you and LJH again in June! Big Grin