Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Member!
I'm just about to get mine powder coated grey. But I'm having a crisis of confidence on the colour. :roll:

Does anyone have a colour code for the grey?

Welcome to the club, Phil. That's a beautiful early car you've got there, I wish mine had been that well looked after!
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Welcome aboard fella. Nice to see new recruits! Wink
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
Thanks for the welcome everyone!
Yep, im well into Vauxhalls also!! Every personal car ive had (not work cars) up untill now has been a Vauxhall!! Nova 1.6 16V, Astra Mk3 2.5 V6, Cavalier 2.5 V6, Calibra 2.0 16V, Opel Lotus Omega, Vauxhall Lotus Carlton, Senator 3.0 24V, done lots with those! But always liked the delorean too. Claire the senator is the usual ex-police spec, your right. Could do with selling it really now.

I think ive got lucky with the car, I saw it on ebay and thought it looked very good, but every picture he's sent me ive had a really close look at and everything seems pretty good, ive been sent loads of pictures and it looks great on the interior and underneath too. The frame and engine look very clean too. The only issue I know of is that the passenger seat base has got 2 small tears in the leather, but not really that worn so must have been damage rather than wear, I think Ill buy some of the new seat covers from Ed to replace the covers on both seats, has anyone had these yet? Are they a good fit?
As far as I know everything else on the car is good and working, the air con has even recently been converted to R134a and is working.
It is an early car, April 1981 build date, Vin 1128.
I wanted an early one as I really wanted the gas flap and grooved hood, got the digital clock on the centre console too, and early style paintwork on the fascia's. Also I wanted the black interior and manual gearbox. Its had some of the updates though like the metal header tank, door pin guides, etc. But if im honest I prefer the later style silver wheels a lot more than the grey ones I have. These grey ones are in mint condition and are the originals for the car, but maybe sometime in the future ill put silver ones on. Could do a swap with someone if there is anyone after a good set of grey ones instead of silver.
I want to drop the front suspension to the proper height though! What are my best options there? the front springs for sale through the club website or is there a good upgrade available to replace all the springs?

Also I wanted to ask, what are the best RHD head lamps to get (hella, valeo or another?) and what type of bulb fitting do they use? Or are they sealed halogen units? Reason I ask is that id prefer to go down the xenon route, they look amazing on deloreans and are so much better light output.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to meeting some of you!!
Hi Phil,

Have a look at the passenger seat when you get hold of the car - you might find the leather can get repaired for much less than a new set of seat covers would cost. You also find that the replacement covers aren't ever quite as tight as the originals so if you've got a good original set it's worth hanging onto them.

Definitely the right call to drop the ride height down at the front. Drop Chris Parnham an email (details on club website) and he's the man to talk to about euro-height front springs. I'm not aware of anyone in the UK really changing all the springs - some of the yanks do it but they tend to do that because they get a set of four with the Eibach kit or whatever rather than just getting the lower fronts that they need.

If you're interested in upgrading the suspension, lots of members on here (myself included) have replaced the stock shocks with new Spax units. Fully adjustable and not too expensive (about £280 all in).

I got a set of halogen RHD headlights from Dave Howarth (contact details on DOC site) - he'll send you the complete units, but can also provide the casings without bulbs. I don't know much about getting hold of Xenons for them - other members might. Dave H is also great for completely random parts that you need - he'll sell you them for much less than you'd have to pay for them from DMCH, and less shipping too!

Have you got a shipping agent on board for handling the importing through customs at Southampton?

Cheers
Gez
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Hi Phill, welcome to the club! I personally think you've done really well by sourcing that car, its absolutely immaculate for an early 81 car! Congratulations! Hope to meet you at some point in the future Wink
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
hi from me too

right valeos are available for about £55 a pair from motorfactors.

you need only change 2. these include a side light, all seperate bulbs.

the American spec ones are sealed units.

front bumper is a sod to remove if you want to fit HID's or something. but the light itself is easy, just a few screws.

personally i like to keep a car as original as possible so have kept mine grey (vin 1621) and spent lots to restore them that way.

i would have the seat fixed if possible. talk to Chris at PJGrady, they know the original trimmer for out cars, and i think nice if it could be repaired invisible as factory spec.

what i would look at is the TABS (a must to check/change), fuel lines and the brake line leading to each wheel (mine were shot!)

personally i have not lowered mine as i quite like the look. i do have the springs and may change my mind.

hope all goes well.

Definately worth using an agent, they only charge £30 or so, and saves hastle of paper work.

regards

steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
hi mate try and make time to pop to Euro tech if you can, just to meet everyone TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Yes thats a great idea Tony as you wont get more of us in the same place at the same time Smile

Yes be good to see you there ...
Hi All,

Well I picked up the car from Southampton docks on Friday, spent 5 and half hours following it on the back of a transporter up the motorway on friday afternoon/evening, it was brilliant when I picked it up, the first time I saw it was when the guy at the import center drove it round from the back and I just thought thats it!! Hard to believe I was taking it home!! Im really really happy with it, its even better than I thought it would be! The condition of it is really good, the underside looks really good too, just a bit dusty as would be expected but everything how it should be and in good condition. Its completely original, it has some of the updates fitted but apart from that its as it left the factory. Im really happy I placed that bid on ebay 2 months ago!!
Spent all day Saturday cleaning it inside and out, in between poeple coming over to have a look at it!!
Really looking forward to getting it on the road now.
I gave it a clean and used stainless steel cleaner, it just looks amazing, and im actually pretty impressed with the quality of it all for a 28 year old car its very good!! They are such a great car as you all know.

I have a few issues to sort out before it can be MOT'ed, any info or help would be appreciated as im new to Deloreans, only ever worked on Vauxhalls before now!!

The handbrake doesnt work, I can pull it on a few clicks and it feels as if its on, but the car can still move, I havent had a look at the rear brakes yet, so Ill get the wheels off and see whats what.

The hazard lights dont work, but the indicators do, so im thinking the hazard light switch might be faulty, unless there are any other things that could cause this? cant be the flasher relay if the indicators work can it?

The full beam, all 4 lights, are on constantly regardless of headlight switch or indicator/full beam stalk positions, unless the full beam fuse is removed. Then the dipped beam works fine, only on when switched on. I have tried a new full beam relay and dipped beam relay, just incase, this made no difference. Im replacing the headlights for RHD ones so Ill check the wiring and check things out with a meter there.

Thats it really, the only other thing im wondering about for the mot is that both seat belts dont really retract by themselves very well, I have to help them feed back in a bit. I think thats an mot fail, are they all a bit like this? if not ill have to find some new seat belts. Are these cross matched to any other cars by any chance?

Ill get some pics up soon too Big Grin

Thanks,
Phil.
Phil
Glad you like the car, Sorry I can not help with the faults, But the hand brake as always being a problem from new.

I remember watching the transport drivers loading the cars on, and having to pull the hand brake fully on to hold.

Just though I would share that with you. someone will reply to your post soon to help you out.
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

[Image: DSC_0112-1.jpg]
Live the Dream today, Because I did it yesterday.
I can have a go at pointing you in the right direction. The handbrakes are easy to adjust but are always pants to be honest.

You can get electrical schematics on ebay. I think mine cost around £9 or something and it is colour coded to show wire colours in the car for easy tracing. That should help with any faultfinding. I don't know common faults that would result in the symptoms you have said for your lights.

Your lights will have to be changed for the UK anyway as you said. I got mine from Martin Gutkowski but I think there is a cross reference for an Audi model.

The seat belt issue is a new one on me as my cars were fine. Health to enjoy mate and I am looking forward to hearing your progress and Delorean experience
Follow my Restoration Progress at http://www.project2456.co.uk
VIN 2456, 2835
DOC 621
Phil, whereabouts in this fine country are you located mate?

Also, if you're into your Vauxhalls, are you coming to Billing in July? We're taking 2 of the
Cavs and my newly re-engined Astra Convertible this year Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I have just bought one of the colour wiring diagrams off the ebayer seller that was advertising them recently, looks pretty good so should be able to sort things out from that.

Claire, I will be at Billing yes, we go every year and camp over its a great weekend. Im in the AutoBahn Stormers club with the LC. What club are you with? Im in Manchester by the way. I used to have a MK3 astra too, what engine have you put in? I had a 2.5 V6 cav engine in mine, sold it about 4 years ago though.
The handbrakes are poor at best, when ypu get chance to take the wheels off you may see if there are broken springs on top of the caliper or just bad pads. All the X references for the pads are in the parts section of the forum.
I had to replace the drivers side seat belt also due to non retraction, not sure if this is a MOT faiure though? Dave Howarth did have these in stock. Though I think someone once told me they were the same as a Mini, but cant be 100% on this.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
phil349 Wrote:Claire, I will be at Billing yes, we go every year and camp over its a great weekend. Im in the AutoBahn Stormers club with the LC. What club are you with? Im in Manchester by the way. I used to have a MK3 astra too, what engine have you put in? I had a 2.5 V6 cav engine in mine, sold it about 4 years ago though.

ah cool Big Grin We'll be with the Vauxhall Opel Driver's Club - I think our camping spot this year is
to the right of the main arena. Being a bit 'pikey', we've put an Isuzu 1.7TD in my Astra Cabby,
so it will run on cooking oil the same as the Cavs (for free - and no we dont have to pay duty
or declare it Big Grin ).

Hoping to fire the Cabby up tonight for the first time with the new lump in - just need to connect
up the fuel lines, and see what happens! Smile

We're planning on driving down to Billing on the Friday afternoon and camping till Sunday.

I'll be easy to spot anyhows - just look out for the pregnant woman with white convertible! lol
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie