Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maintenance Charger
When my car was in storage it had a trickle charger attached to the battery. I bought a charger at Halfords and connected the + clip to the battery and -clip to chassis at rear of car ( i couldn't find any other metal point nearer).
It's a hassle to get the charger connected in my small garage and then I realised I could connect it to the + point in engine bay and - point on block as if i were jump starting the car.
My question is would it be OK to permantly connect the trickle charger to these points in the engine bay and feed the wire through the black side vents?
Has anyone else ever permantly connected a trickle charger?
Where else near the battery bay is there a ground point?
Thanks
Kevin (totally useless at electrics)
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
Using the engine as a ground point is perfectly acceptable, if you look at the right hand engine mount, you will see a ground strap to the chassis there. The jump start terminal also connects directly to the battery, so using that is fine.

I've never used a trickle charger myself, but I don't see any problem with it. I would be a little concerned about ventilation around the battery, but if the trickle charger doesn't generate any gas at the battery, that shouldn't be an issue.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Thanks Richard.
This evening I bolted the leads on to the "jump start" points and fed the lead outside by cutting a small hole in the base of the rear vents. So the lead plug can be concealed in the vents when not in use and when in the garage it's simple to plug n'charge.
Kevin
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
i have never used a trickle charger either but i got 4 years out of my old battery, they are a lot better than they used to be TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor