Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delorean dimensions
Hi,
I'm thinking of taking my car out of storage and bringing it home for the summer.
My garage is standard size but the only issue is that on each side wall there is a support pillar, which reduces the width of the garage at those points to exactly 90inches from 100inches. These pillars are located halfway up the length of the walls...just where car door opens. (the pillars are there to give structural support, why they weren't put on the outside of the building I'l never know)
The delorean width dimension is 73.1inches?
Do you think there'll be enough room to get the car in garage and open the doors.....
I can drive a Ford Focus in and get out of the car.

Chris H in MK has seen my garage.

Any advice...do you think there's enough room . .and no I can't remove the pillars! Smile is it possible to crawl out underneath a partially opened door?

Kevin
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
If you push the passenger side mirror in, and get in really tight you should be fine.

It it possible to get out without totally opening, fix a bit of foam on the pillar for the door to rest on.

Once you get it right drill some wood onto the floor as a marker, so when you drive in you know if you have it right.
Try the car both ways in and out see if the doors open, my garage is 9ft and i can open both doors so 90 inches is tight even if you park the over to one side,If you need the extra 10 inches ( dont we all :wink: ) get a couple of steels about 5ft and a smaller one about 12 inches cut the brick out slide in the smaller steel, then support each end with the 5 footers bolt it together and take out the lower bricks .
Hope this helps TT ps the 5 ft steels only need to be minimal but the 12 more substantial
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
TT way seems good!
If you're garage is empty enough to drive my car in we can test if you like. For what its worth I have a buttress on the left side of my garage right where my drivers door needs to swing up. I placed carpet underlay on the piller to avoid the risk of catching the door on it if I ever parked just a tad too close. As you can open one door easily but two, forget it. When I've needed to work on the fuse compartment for example I've reversed the car in and climbed over from the drivers side...

[Image: Garage1.jpg]

When parked like below I have around 5" plus the maximum 12" the drivers door needs to swing open at its widest point. The next house will have a bigger garage Smile

[Image: P1000139.jpg]
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Chris

It looks like your main seal might be leaking lol!

Al
Hi Chris,
My garage is now cleared out and that would be great if you could call round and test it.
Kevin
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
if it were me i would chop that pillar out and bolt a hefty bit of angle iron under the 6 or 7th brick from the top TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
A Van Wrote:It looks like your main seal might be leaking lol!
At least he didn't get it on the carpet though!
My poor car has to sleep on stones Sad
Tourettes Tony Wrote:if it were me i would chop that pillar out and bolt a hefty bit of angle iron under the 6 or 7th brick from the top TT
I had wondered that a while back but the brick wall is also an external wall (i.e. it is truly standalone with no other support). Isn't the buttress there to purely keep the wall rigid? The buttress doesn't support the roof as it stops a few inches from the pastered ceiling...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
My buttress pillar is the same, it doesn't go all the way up to the apex of the roof. It is for structural support and my thinking is to remove it from the inside and get the buttress built on the outside. I'm sure the only reason it's on the inside of the wall is for asthethics.
kevin
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
Mine leaks in exactly the same place.......
A very big thank you to Chris, who came to my house this morning and tested the garage for size with his car.
Result: Delorean fits snug into garage and driver door can open.

Kevin
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
Result !

NickT
A Van Wrote:Mine leaks in exactly the same place.......

Mine too!
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

[Image: signature.jpg]

Emagine Productions

W: www.emagineproductions.co.uk