Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Steering Joint - cross matchable?
I personally haven't put superflex solid bushes on the trailing arm bolts as the rear suspension in normal movement induces an arc at the TA Bolt so needs some flex. I put new rubber ones on as this area requires some compliance. I would be interested to see long term the TA Bolts in hard silicone bushes in this area to see if they have bent.

All other ones would be fine with silicone ones (although do expect a harsher ride!)

NickT
Dan1986 Wrote:I used new rubber ones as I didn't think having those is poly would be that important. I just used polly for the main links etc as they take all the loading when cornering.

Where did you get the rubber ones from?

DPNW too?
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
JamesRGUK Wrote:
Dan1986 Wrote:I need to do these bushes urgently as my car is scary to drive Shock

J

So was mine at Easter! I'm hoping that new rear shocks, ARB poly bushes, steering column bushing and new UJ will sort it out but there's a chance the TABs will need looking at too...

Do you have play on your back wheels when they're in the air? And what are the symptoms when you're driving?
VIN 7176
DOC 643
NickT Wrote:I personally haven't put superflex solid bushes on the trailing arm bolts as the rear suspension in normal movement induces an arc at the TA Bolt so needs some flex. I put new rubber ones on as this area requires some compliance. I would be interested to see long term the TA Bolts in hard silicone bushes in this area to see if they have bent.

All other ones would be fine with silicone ones (although do expect a harsher ride!)

NickT

I notice I can buy rubber TAB bushes from Delorean.com but they are NOS are they available 'new' or should I be ok with NOS?

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
jerzybondov Wrote:So was mine at Easter! I'm hoping that new rear shocks, ARB poly bushes, steering column bushing and new UJ will sort it out but there's a chance the TABs will need looking at too...

Do you have play on your back wheels when they're in the air? And what are the symptoms when you're driving?

Classic worn TAB bushing symptoms are similar to wheel tuck that you get on old triumphs, it just feels like the back end is floating around and twisty when cornering.
Front end is feels quite 'distant' under heavy braking, thats the only way can thing to describe them.

No they don't have obvious play when off the ground, but it is hard to manually replicate the kinds of forces put on these joints when the car is in use.

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
The TAB's are exactly the same as Lotus used on the Esprit as the Rear Radius Arm Bushing.

You can get them brand new from Lotus. The Last one I got from them cost about £15.

Dan
Daniel Shane Wrote:The TAB's are exactly the same as Lotus used on the Esprit as the Rear Radius Arm Bushing.

You can get them brand new from Lotus. The Last one I got from them cost about £15.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

This may sound daft, but where do I actually go to buy Lotus stuff?

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
There should be a Lotus dealer near to you, If not are you going to Eurotech this year ?

If so you can drop into the factory on the way home and purchase parts Mr Green

Dan
JamesRGUK Wrote:This may sound daft, but where do I actually go to buy Lotus stuff?

James

http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/ Mr Green
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4