Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody know much about Virtual Servers?
Just purchased a Virtual Server from 1&1.co.uk and I thought it was just going to be simple FTP stuff as I am used to, but as I've discovered its a completely different ball game! Im completely lost, stuck, haven't got a clue! It also seems that I can't get out of the contract because I went with a special, half-price offer. Basically its all the control panels that I'm lost with.

The server is running Linux (CentOS 5 with Plesk 9) and the Plesk CP looks aweful and everything is frankly double dutch! Hopefully Nick T, Dan Shane etc can help haha! Cheers in advance!
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
are they the people that work in restaurants :? TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Jonny Jones Wrote:Just purchased a Virtual Server from 1&1.co.uk and I thought it was just going to be simple FTP stuff as I am used to, but as I've discovered its a completely different ball game! Im completely lost, stuck, haven't got a clue! It also seems that I can't get out of the contract because I went with a special, half-price offer. Basically its all the control panels that I'm lost with.

The server is running Linux (CentOS 5 with Plesk 9) and the Plesk CP looks aweful and everything is frankly double dutch! Hopefully Nick T, Dan Shane etc can help haha! Cheers in advance!

NIce, I do love Linux Mr Green

How can I help mate ?

Dan
Daniel Shane Wrote:
Jonny Jones Wrote:Just purchased a Virtual Server from 1&1.co.uk and I thought it was just going to be simple FTP stuff as I am used to, but as I've discovered its a completely different ball game! Im completely lost, stuck, haven't got a clue! It also seems that I can't get out of the contract because I went with a special, half-price offer. Basically its all the control panels that I'm lost with.

NIce, I do love Linux Mr Green

How can I help mate ?

Dan
Brilliant! Well I had no clue how to set it all up, but tbh, ive tried to cancel the whole contract but I need to ring them this morning as they say it wont be cancelled until this time next year, so I need to battle them to the ground cos its just so complex. If I have no luck Dan, I'll get back to you and get some tips on how to continue lol!
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
Virtual = Not real

Ha ha. Seriously my Linux is very basic. Most programming things I deal with are all Windows based unfortunately.
I think Dan would be best to ask if it is Linux.
Why do you need Virtual Servers? I understand the concept and recently looked into Acronis software in restoring images to Virtual servers though. Work a bit like Virtual PC's really.

NickT
Well I managed to cancel the Linux contract, they were very good about it. Basically Nick I went with a Virtual Server because the spec was sooo much better than a normal hosting server. 2TB of bandwidth pretty much sold it for me haha! I'll be getting a Microsoft package soon and I have a mate who can set it all up for me, he runs his own IT business. Thanks for your comments, offer of help and general interest lads Big Grin
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
That's ok mate. Horses for courses.

I really like unix and all it's flavours. The fact I can get them to do what I want for a fraction of the cost of MS stuff is great. Problem is unix has a very step learning curve. I've been using it for 15 years and I'm still learning every day !

Dan
Ehh!!
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
Daniel Shane Wrote:That's ok mate. Horses for courses.

I really like unix and all it's flavours. The fact I can get them to do what I want for a fraction of the cost of MS stuff is great. Problem is unix has a very step learning curve. I've been using it for 15 years and I'm still learning every day !

Dan

Thats the problem. I dont really have the time to learn, I need the server to just work, so im hoping the MS package and my mates help should suffice! Big Grin Thanks mate!
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530