Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vin 4068 - Getting back on the road.......
Well, ashamedly the last time I took "old faithful" out for a drive it was Eurotech last year ! This is no good. I've decided to forget work and prioritise time to re-commission the D in readiness for this years Eurotech. Since Eurotech last year the only things I did was to do the valve clearances and re-shim the fuel distributor to set to book figures. I haven't even cleaned the car since! A couple of weekends ago the oils were dutifully changed (Engine, Diff, Auto Gearbox) and the car taken for a drive. Although she drove with smooth power delivery, straight line traveling, straight line braking etc there are a couple of issues that need to be sorted before I get concreting done on my garage and the car finds its way to PJ Gradys' for some blinging...

1) Auto Gearbox computer - changing gear at wrong revs. Doesn't go into 2nd until 35mph and 3rd until 45-50mph.

2) Air conditioning - although still works the cycle time of the clutch is only 5-7 seconds. Might be time for a re-fill (DarrenC bring your Gas !! No, not that Gas, I mean Air Con Refrigerant!!)

Fixes:

Well, this weekend although on call I had a day without work so I took the auto computer off. Took ages ! I had to position the car over my pit so I could park my other car at the other side as I didn't know how long it would take. It would have been easier if the car was only 30cm to the left.
After stripping the computer apart (nice sealant!) I had a look inside and it was obvious there are 2 capacitors that need to be changed. This is part of the ac-dc converter from speed sensor (alternator). This would explain why it wasn't changing up until the correct speed was obtained. Now, if these popped because of issues with my alternator or due to old age I don't know. I will be changing these to long life tantalum capacitors and doing a couple of recommended mods like de-coupling caps across the op-amps power supply and reverse biassed diodes across the coils. I will also change de-coupling caps across the op-amps inputs and change the zener diode too. Hopefully I will be able to get the lot back in my car tonight if not tomorrow.

2) Fix whenever, not as important.

3) Have a Tikka Balti Curry and a Cold "Old Theakstons" Bottled beer [obviously nothing to do with fixing the car but worth it for the sense of "well-being" Big Grin ]

I will take some pics if I remember.

NickT.

ps I got the auto computer circuit diagram and info from DMC Talk.com, very useful article. I will add a link if I remember.
NickT Wrote:I will be changing these to long life tantalum capacitors and doing a couple of recommended mods like de-coupling caps across the op-amps power supply and reverse biassed diodes across the coils. I will also change de-coupling caps across the op-amps inputs and change the zener diode too. Hopefully I will be able to get the lot back in my car tonight if not tomorrow.

I might have built a radio at university but rather you than me!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
funny you should suddenly start on the car must be the weather its been lovely dan saff, i spent all weekend doing the De and my trusty £210 Kawasaki 550,all the works been done just 2 Mot's to get out of the way TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
NickT Wrote:3) Have a Tikka Balti Curry and a Cold "Old Theakstons" Bottled beer [obviously nothing to do with fixing the car but worth it for the sense of "well-being" Big Grin ]

I will take some pics if I remember.

NickT.

ps I got the auto computer circuit diagram and info from DMC Talk.com, very useful article. I will add a link if I remember.

So any pics of the Tikka Balti? Sounds niiiiccceee hmmmmmm

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Just for you James......

[Image: balti_dish.jpg][Image: 230px-Theakston_Old_Peculier-785427.jpeg]
Food and drink at a proportionate scale 1:10 :lol:
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Darren C Wrote:Food and drink at a proportionate scale 1:10 :lol:

Shock surely... that cant be right ??... can it ???....
bozzzydmc Wrote:
Darren C Wrote:Food and drink at a proportionate scale 1:10 :lol:

Shock surely... that cant be right ??... can it ???....

Oh yes.................. Big Grin
Auto computer all fixed now and back in the car (thanks to Nimble fingered Bozzzy !)

Had some trials. Took it out for a drive, no gear changes !
Back in the garage.
For some reason the Auto transmission fuse had blown (working day before & I removed the main car battery to charge and isolate while wiring was done).......popped in a spare.
Bozzzy too car out for a drive to compare to his working Auto Gearbox
He came back with a big grin asking if I can do his computer, I jumped in the car all eager to see the difference, but then the starter wouldn't crank the engine......Had to push the car back in the garage.

Whipped the starter off and bench tested it. Solenoid contact gone.
(Starter spins great when power applied direct bypassing the solenoid).

Took it down to the local alternator/ starter re-conditioners to get done. Was told yesterday they can't get spares for the solenoid....
BUT.. they had a re-conditioned starter motor from a Renault Espace (all cross referenced by thier Lucas database - also referred to Renault R30 engine etc). It looks like a direct fit comparing it to the original starter and I got it at a v good price. No old starter motor surcharge either so I have the old one to fix as a spare. I just need to change the wiring ends of the small cables to add a blade female terminal only. Mr Starter Motor man said it was a higher rating starter motor too so it should be interesting to see if it spins the engine quicker.

I will get a couple of pics on but the old starter solenoid contacts look well gone. I wonder if it can be rebuilt?

Fingers crossed I can get my car running before the weekend as wheels need blinging.....

Oh well...........

NickT
Well I must have wet the bed last night as I was up at 8:30 this morning ready to change the starter motor over.

(Shame about my original starter solenoid frying)

I put in an equivalent starter and it all bolted in fine but was a pain to bend the main red wires so it all went into place. It is so powerful it nearly flips the car over! Unfortunately it squeals a little if the key is held on the starter for more than 2 turns.....I will have a word with the place I got it from.

It might just need some lubrication on the shaft but more than likely I will get another one off him.

At least it is running now.

NickT.
It might just need some lubrication on the shaft but more than likely I will get another one off him.

OOH ARR NICK Shock
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Blimey ! ...there must be something in the water atm Smile :lol: :lol:
NickT Wrote:Well I must have wet the bed last night as I was up at 8:30 this morning ready to change the starter motor over.

(Shame about my original starter solenoid frying)

I put in an equivalent starter and it all bolted in fine but was a pain to bend the main red wires so it all went into place. It is so powerful it nearly flips the car over! Unfortunately it squeals a little if the key is held on the starter for more than 2 turns.....I will have a word with the place I got it from.

At least it is running now.

NickT.

Things are slowly moving along.

Auto computer works great (touch wood)
Replacement starter solenoid is direct perfect fix including original wiring fixtures too !
I had to take the cross reference motor back, shame but hey ho.
Car passed MOT first time (had to top up brake fluid and got advisory re rear right handbrake as last year)

I have just taken my wheels off today and I shall be dropping off tomorrow to have them BLINGED !!!!!!!
YES I AM BLINGING A BIT OF MY MOTOR !!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mike for bringing your spare over so I can leave the car looking silly.

NickT
I am picking the wheels up tomorrow, I can't wait !

NickT.
BLING ! What a transformation ! Makes me want to get a set of stainless wheel bolts and new centre caps now.

Took the D out for a spin yesterday and got symptoms of slipping in gear. Oh great.
On investigation I had a leak from the copper washer. The oil dripped through the planks of wood over my pit so I didn't notice the leak. I nipped up the sump bolt and filled up with oil and put some paper down on the floor and left it overnight.

Today there are no oil marks and I took it for a spin. Drives superb. I might have to re-check alignment of the front but apart from a quick fine tune after a fresh tank of fuel fingers crossed all I need to do is give it a good clean.

NickT.