Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Gearbox differential tool is born!
Hi Nick,

I did consider a split ring (Not that ring Shock ) but thought better of it. Not sure if they'll be enough strength to stop it springing due to thickness limited by the shallow gap between the peaks of the castle nut and the rear of the drive flange (the gap you'd need to get it in).

Might have a go if your really desperate.

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Darren C Wrote:Hi Nick,

I did consider a split ring (Not that ring Shock ) but thought better of it. Not sure if they'll be enough strength to stop it springing due to thickness limited by the shallow gap between the peaks of the castle nut and the rear of the drive flange (the gap you'd need to get it in).

Might have a go if your really desperate.

Regards
D

Only do it if you have time Darren. I thought it might be a tool that you could do with the car in situ without dismantling.

Does the car drive any quieter now some bearing clearance has been removed?

NickT
Hi Nick,

To be fair, it wasn't noisy in the first place. Doesn't sound any different, although I did get a squeak from the oil thrower/baffle plate behind the seal in the nut, when I first reversed the car off the drive. But with oil on it now it seems to have been a one off?

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
NickT Wrote:I've got to finish my auto computer rebuild tonight and get it back on the road!

NickT

Did you get those bits I sent you Nick?

Darren, can I joint the que please? I have quite a whine developing on LH cornering which I suspect may be the diff bearings...
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
RichH Wrote:
NickT Wrote:I've got to finish my auto computer rebuild tonight and get it back on the road!

NickT

Did you get those bits I sent you Nick?

Darren, can I joint the que please? I have quite a whine developing on LH cornering which I suspect may be the diff bearings...

Not yet Rich, the postal sheep must be slow this week !

NickT
Can anyone point me in a direction of whom may be making these tools or if they are available for purchase?
This tread is an old one!

Sorry cant help with the tool though.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(01 Apr 2020, 19:31)Trstno1 Wrote: Can anyone point me in a direction of whom may be making these tools or if they are available for purchase?

Darren C made the tool in question.  I'm not aware of anyone else making one.  There IS an official tool, but good luck finding one, or affording one if you do!

Darren's tool used to make the rounds between people wishing to borrow it.  I even borrowed it at some point many years ago.  I'd have hoped it would have made its way back to its rightful owner again eventually once everyone who wanted to use it at that time, had done.

The best person to ask is Darren.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)