Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silencer/Muffler heat shield measurements
Hi All,

I’m going to be fitting my new SS exhaust on Wednesday and since I steam cleaned the sump on my DeLorean the muffler heat shield completely fell apart.

I am hoping with a bit of DIY I can make my own heat shield but I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to send me a rough picture with some measurements on.

Thanks in advance for any help.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Dan Stacey should be able to help on this, I think he made his.
Damn it, I had a template for making these which I threw out a couple of weeks ago :roll: I can measure mine up for you, but you'll have to wait till the weekend when I have time to get it off the car again :wink:

I made mine out of 3mm aluminum sheet, then polished it with a scotch pad to take the shine off it.
VIN: 6511
Dan1986 Wrote:Damn it, I had a template for making these which I threw out a couple of weeks ago :roll: I can measure mine up for you, but you'll have to wait till the weekend when I have time to get it off the car again :wink:

I made mine out of 3mm aluminum sheet, then polished it with a scotch pad to take the shine off it.

A chap on DMC talk has send a good photo with a ruler by it for scale so I shoule be able to come up with somting if only temporary.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
JamesRGUK Wrote:
Dan1986 Wrote:Damn it, I had a template for making these which I threw out a couple of weeks ago :roll: I can measure mine up for you, but you'll have to wait till the weekend when I have time to get it off the car again :wink:

A chap on DMC talk has send a good photo with a ruler by it for scale so I shoule be able to come up with somting if only temporary.

James

Is there a location of source for the measurements of the heatshield anywhere yet? I'd like to give it a bash at making my own replacement for my car. I think, by the looks of it, my car still has an original, and very crumbled looking asbestos one, so i'd like to replace it with either, the modern equivalent material....which is (please someone fill in the blank! :-) ) or a sheet of stainless steel/aluminium.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Rissy Wrote:
JamesRGUK Wrote:

James

Is there a location of source for the measurements of the heatshield anywhere yet? I'd like to give it a bash at making my own replacement for my car. I think, by the looks of it, my car still has an original, and very crumbled looking asbestos one, so i'd like to replace it with either, the modern equivalent material....which is (please someone fill in the blank! :-) ) or a sheet of stainless steel/aluminium.

I'm not sure where you will be able to get the measurements from, I managed to get my over all scale from a photo some american chap sent me and then used the asbestos one to draw around.

I think the general consensus is that aluminium is the best material, you can also make the heat barrier slightly larger than stock one.

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
I think then, in that case, i'll have to do the same thing, but i'll see about putting this information up for others in the futrure then. Only problem is, that my asbestos sheet, besides being dangerous to handle, is a bit worse for wear, so i'm not sure how it will go, survival wise, for taking off the car in the first place...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Not sure on the best way to do this, Wear a dust mask and try to get the area damp to stop any dust flying of it would be my best advice!

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Dave Howarth has the heat shields made....not a lot of money, insulated on one side shiny on the other. Ive had a couple from him over the years. Dont forget to have your exhaust brackets re-zinc plated and yellow passivated. Phil...can you post a picture of your bits?
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
The ones from Houston are a laser cut thin piece of stainless with this stuff glued to it:

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/heatmat-htmat-1567-p.asp
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Chris P Wrote:Dave Howarth has the heat shields made....not a lot of money, insulated on one side shiny on the other. Ive had a couple from him over the years. Dont forget to have your exhaust brackets re-zinc plated and yellow passivated. Phil...can you post a picture of your bits?

Just a couple of questions with this:

What on earth is "yellow passivated"?! lol!
Is re-zinc plating something i can do myself with a paint on solution?
How crucial is this in needing done?
What are the consequences of NOT doing this?
When you say exhaust brackets, does this mean that to get the heatshield off the car, i have to remove the entire exhaust?
(I've still not had a proper chance to look at this on my car yet. Was concentrating on getting my car into the garage for over the winter the last few weeks. That took a LOT of clearing out! lol!)

...and, can you phil? please. :wink:
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
yellow passivated is a form of electro plating, like zinc etc.

gives that sort of yellowish finish that looks oem, and protects the steel under from corrosion.

you can paint a zinc based paint (see frost.co.uk), but certainly would not last like propper plating.

Frost also have plating kits (£150ish) to plate items.
Always wanted one to plate all nuts bolts etc, like to keep original.

or a plating company can do it for you (worth taking off brackets etc under the engine cover and get done also)

not essential but to stop rust and looking unsightly.
if you fit a nice heat sheild, may as well tidy the whole system to look good for years.

as far as i know you do not need to remove exhaust to change shield.

be very carefull though as sheild is asbestos based if original.

very ventilated, could spray plenty of water (gently). do not cut, shake etc.
wear the best mask you can get.

asbestos itself if not touched is ok, its the dust/fibres that can kill

hope this helps

Steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370