Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drive Shaft Differential taper bearings
Hi guy's,

Anyone tried adjusting the play in the gearbox driveshaft taper bearings. (the large castlenut behind the nearside (left) drive shaft flange)

Changed my drive shaft oil seal this weekend on the off side and was horrified by the amount of play in the flange when I took off the CV joint. The factory manual gives details of adjusting the play with a spring balance on new bearings, with the box out of the car, and simply says take up slack/play on old bearings.

Anyone done this? how far can you go without putting lateral force on the primary shaft and bearing with the box in the car?

Kind regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
I take it that's a No Sad

Has anyone got the special tool for tightening the castleated nut on the drivers/LH side of the gearbox around the hub?

Or do I have to make one?

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
I noticed a bit of play in mine too and tightened the castle nut a little bit and there's still some play so I think I'll leave well alone! Its never leaked and has always changed gear nicely.

I tightened mine by tapping one of the sticky-out-bits on the nut with a flat screwdriver and mallet very very gently, although I'm sure in Darren's world this is disgraceful and a proper tool will be made :wink:
VIN: 6511
Neanderthal Heathern :wink:

I did the same this weekend :lol:

Still got around a millimetre up and down play. OH MY GOD...can't sleep at night.

Thinking of making up a proper tool as I'm concerned about damaging the castle nut. Unless some one has one I can borrow :wink:

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574