Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT HELP NEEDED OTHER MY DE WONT MAKE THE BALL !
Hi all

can anyone shed any light on something for me, ive recently changed the alternator on my de because when i was driving it one evening it started missing and backfireing and had loss of power, this to me felt like a charging problem so i changed the alternator and thought i had cured it but today on the MOT ramp it started doing the same again so badly theu couldnt even do an emission test, so it was left all afternoon at work until i drove it home and it drove fone on the way home, i stoped it out in the road to open the garage and when i restarted it it started to hesitate and miss very slightly, i put a meter on the battery before i left work at it was charging at 14.8 volts but when i got home and it started playing up it was only reading 13.2, tony has suggested to me it could be the coil ??
any other ideas peops would be much appreciated otherwise i dont think its gona make it to norfolk !!

mike
NTH347X Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395
DOC 639
Sounds to me like it could be HT leads. I could be really wrong though. I don't think its anything to do with charging though as those voltages sound fine.
VIN: 6511
Very similar problem to what I was having a last week - although the tickover was normal, through the gears it ran like a bag of balls.

I wouldn't rule out anything electrical, ie coil, HT leads, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm etc.

My plugs were duff and/or the ht leads were not seated correctly.

Don't give up now.

Ben
Mike,
I might be way off on this one but its worth a check. My D' suffered a similar issue. However it turned out to be a fuel pick up problem.
After checking just about everything I pulled the fuel pump and found a small bit of muck that was bouncing up and down in the bottom inlet of the fuel pump. The car would idle fine but showed similar symptoms to yours under load.
Another issue could be the fuel pick up hose itself. Mine broke off so the car would run ok on a full tank but again suffer similar symptoms under load when the fuel level droped.
Hope this helps

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
Charging voltages are fine. Check all the usual ignition connections - particularly around the ballast resistors and coil.

Sounds like a fueling issue to me.

Check inside the fuel tank for a split pick up hose or blockages

Sadly fuel issues can be quite time consuming to diagnose Sad

If it's OK when cold but a bag of bolts when hot, it could be a CPR issue causing over rich mixture. Could also be a Vac leak from the thermal vac switch. Check for vac leaks on the vac solenoid/dizzy/cpr too...
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
you read my mind guys fuel problem me thinks, just a thought, does the de have a cold start injector ? if so could it be the temp sender telling the engine its cold all the time and running the cold start injector even when hot thus causing it to over fuel and flood itself effectivly ?

mike
NTH347X Mike C aka MEC
vin - #4395
DOC 639
mec Wrote:you read my mind guys fuel problem me thinks, just a thought, does the de have a cold start injector ? if so could it be the temp sender telling the engine its cold all the time and running the cold start injector even when hot thus causing it to over fuel and flood itself effectivly ?

mike

If you thinkit is the cold start injector, you could just disconnect the blue plug from it, its near the oil filler at the top of the engine.

I would check basics and get the battery load tested first regardless of the charging voltage, then check and clean the connections on the top of the coil and the ballast resistors (white ceramic ones on the bulkhead).

If it is a fuel pick up hose hole/ split problem, fill the tank to more than half way as this will ensure air is not being drawn into the air/ fuel mix.

Good luck

NickT