Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear fascia lower bolts sheared off in middle and bowing
Hi Guys,

Just trying to put the rear bumper back on the car, but have noticed that the rear lower bolts, item 4&5 in the figure below have sheared off. They are of course moulded into the plastic section.

Does any one know how to resolve this? The only most secure way i could think of was to drill through, but then you would have bolt heads showing all the way along the rear lower section of the fascia.

Also the plastic itself if bowing the middle a touch, from the exhaust heat. Any ideas on fixes?

[Image: bumper.jpg]
Richard Milliken
DOC 417
Vin #10163.

Kevin Milliken

[Image: Signa-1.jpg]
Apart from plastic welding some new studs in... maybe bonding a stainless steel strip on with the studs welded on to it ? Perhaps this will help pull your valance straight? Tiger seal would stick this .

Seen a car with these drilled and bolted right through and the heads painted black , its not really that noticable but i would try other methods first.
Mine all sheared when I removed it for the frame resto'. I tried a few things, non of which seemed to work. When you think about it, as you drive forward it's almost like a parachute, so the wind force on it must be quite high.
I ended up doing exactly what Bozzy suggested & drilled it, adding small 5mm 'flanged button head' bolts. Looked fine once done.
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
A couple of mine sheared too taking the body off :roll: I might get away with just using what I have left, otherwise I'll have to do what Julian's done too.
VIN: 6511
hi

can you not dremel the back and resin bond new studs?

would be a shame to have to drill through.

is there no other protruding plastics you could tie something though to hold also?

or metal strap or something
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370