Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DGS 803X Restoration
ah right............. I dont want to go the galvanising route due to the risk of warping the frame
(I know a car that this happened to), so I'll be happy just having mine stripped, repaired and
"re-painted".

I'm annoyed about my wheels, especially as they cost me £200 to have done less then 3 years ago.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
The risk of warping the frame is why I chose Ed to do mine. Maybe if you want it re-coated it could be dipped in something. The thing that concerns me with powdercoat is that the powder is sprayed on and there's no way it can get right inside some of the sections. Although I suppose you could wax-oyl inside those bits...
VIN: 6511
I'm sure Ed will do a great job Dan, and from what I've seen and heard he certainly knows
what he's doing.

I think I'll have a chat with Julian tho and get a bit more info before I decide where to commit
my so far non-existent frame refurbishing pennies :wink: :lol:
From memory Claire I think you were planning to never sell Flopsy so based on that decision why not save up for the galvanised route as it will surely last longer than the powder coated approach. As discussed the box sections may contain some extreme corrosion that will only be slowed down by Waxoyl... Just my 2 penth worth :wink:
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
As I'm not an expert on powder coating and how it works and 'sticks' to metal I have wondered how this is different to the origional dipped frames that we are using. Can (if the powder coating gets damaged) water creep along under the powder coating and attack the frame from inside just as it does on the origional? or does it stick to the surface well enough to prevent this?
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Hawes Wrote:From memory Claire I think you were planning to never sell Flopsy so based on that decision why not save up for the galvanised route as it will surely last longer than the powder coated approach. As discussed the box sections may contain some extreme corrosion that will only be slowed down by Waxoyl... Just my 2 penth worth :wink:

you are very right Chris, Flopsy is never going to be sold (I'm thinking of being buried with her,
but I'll need a big plot as I'll want my Cav's to come with me! lol :lol: ).

I'm just very wary of galvanising, but I'm interested in exploring different methods of protecting
the frame - if money was no object, then I guess one of those swanky brand new ones would
be on the shopping list Big Grin

Anyways, its not like I've got the money to do it, so I might as well keep various options open
until such time as I have got a grand or so to throw at the car ..... (note to self, must ring my
solicitor this week to see whats happening with the insurance claim..... :wink: )
Todays update. Stripped suspension arms off and stripped out old bushes etc ready for stripping and powdercoating. Also straightened out the bent lip on the front arms.

[Image: 12.jpg]
Today I removed the old exhaust system from the engine. Good luck to those of you attempting this with the engine in the car Shock

[Image: 13.jpg]
Hi Dan,

Do you have a good Cat heat shield you no longer need?

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Sorry Darren, I had a De-cat pipe on my car.
Dan1986 Wrote:Today I removed the old exhaust system from the engine. Good luck to those of you attempting this with the engine in the car Shock

Easy Mr Green
Hi

Personally, i think the coated chassis has been fantastic. How many early eighties cars have such good chassis?.

pretty much none!. So if i was having mine done (which i am not!), i would like to look into the possibility of a complete re-epoxy as per oem spec.

steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
I agree, when you consider its 27 years old, it has lasted very well.
Dan1986 Wrote:Today I removed the old exhaust system from the engine. Good luck to those of you attempting this with the engine in the car Shock

[Image: 13.jpg]

Yep, I had to angle grind mine out ! lol Mr Green
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
Daniel Shane Wrote:

Easy Mr Green

Dan,

Do you have to cut the cross over pipe in half to get it out with the engine in the frame and body on?

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK