Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bishop Calway - best quote
Just thought I'd drop on a quick post to say how my experiences have been getting quotes for 7176 when it arrives. It's for a 30yr old male, 3,000 mile limit with 25 yr old female named driver. Car kept garaged in Essex.

Richard Hoskins: £273.00 includes UK & Euro breakdown cover and lots of other good stuff but wouldn't insure the named driver.

Footman James: £329.85 includes UK breakdown cover and 35 days euro travel

Adrian Flux: £249 (£294 with breakdown). Seemed great until the underwriter realised they were undercutting their own rate (who had provided the Richard Hoskins quote) at which point they withdrew the offer and the next best rate I could get was £450 through Royal Sun Alliance.

MCE: £350.44 included roadside assistance

Bishop Calway: £195.31 Woohoo! Will also insure on a VIN number before the car gets registered.

I know who'll be getting my business! Find them at http://www.bishopcalway.co.uk/ or call them on 01273 820303. Small family run company too, so no being kept on hold and then speaking to someone who doesn't know anything...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
One you missed there is Hagerty, very helpful and very competitive. The renewal on the Esprit was less than £300 this year and that includes UK breakdown cover. Tel 08700 420 220.

http://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/

Be interested to know how they stack up against your current quotes
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
I just renewed mine today with Adrian Flux, but have 14 days to cancle it so will give these a try, thanks Big Grin
VIN: 6511
Cheers Chris - gave Hagerty a call.

Very, very competitive at £154.77 including breakdown cover. Only problem is that they can't include the girlfriend as she doesn't have her own car.

Dan - give these guys a call, if you don't need to put on a named driver they could work out great for you. How much are Adrian Flux taxing you for at the moment?
VIN 7176
DOC 643
I put my parents as named drivers on mine as that made it cheaper :lol:

Being under 25, my insurance cost is a joke. Here goes... £612 Shock :twisted: :roll: Thats not high because its a delorean, my previous car VW Corrado was actualy more :o They just rip us off becuase they think we are all boy-racers if we are aged under 25. One good thing though, this covers me to drive any other vehicle with the owners permision which is bloody handy.
jeez Dan, and to think that when Dave first insured DGS he was 23, so we did it in my name with him on the policy as I was 30 when he bought it. IIRC, it cost about £250 back then with Sharmans in Manchester, but I subsequently had bad service from them, so I moved to AON and havent looked back since.

Phill and I now have a 'Classic and Trade' policy with AON, all 10 of our cars are covered (and as many more as we want for no extra), and it costs us £1350 a year - thats fully comp, including public liability insurance and the De's are insured on an agreed value basis for £18,000 each.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Dan1986 Wrote:I put my parents as named drivers on mine as that made it cheaper :lol:

Being under 25, my insurance cost is a joke. Here goes... £612 Shock :twisted: :roll: Thats not high because its a delorean, my previous car VW Corrado was actualy more :o They just rip us off becuase they think we are all boy-racers if we are aged under 25. One good thing though, this covers me to drive any other vehicle with the owners permision which is bloody handy.

Yes, it seems like there's two big drop off points in terms of premium - one at 25, and one at 30. I'd still rather be 24 again though Big Grin

But I know how frustrating it is paying stupid premiums just because you're under 25. I'm a pretty safe driver now and I reckon I was equally safe when I was 21. I certainly not half as likely to have an accident as I was then. In fact I drove a Peugeot 306XT until I was 26 as it was Ins Group 5. Then went up to a Mini Cooper S and got stung for £900. Some companies were quoting me £3k! It's down to £470 (despite the fact it's been tuned) now, guess that's one of the few good things about getting older!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Each year it gets cheaper for me. Not many things come down in price each year!!

As for stupid preiums, I know someone who spend 4k to insure an audi S3 Shock And no he didn't have more money than sence, he had more loans and credit cards than sence :wink:
Did you have any luck getting a better offer than AF from Bishop Calway or Hagerty's Dan? There won't be a problem with named drivers with Hagerty's if they've got their own car.
VIN 7176
DOC 643
I havn't had chance to call them today, I've been at work. I'll try and ring them tomorrow.
Claire Usher Wrote:IIRC, it cost about £250 back then with Sharmans in Manchester, but I subsequently had bad service from them, so I moved to AON and havent looked back since.

Sharmans, now that goes back a bit :lol: , what do you mean bad service? I think the service was utter Sh**e in the end even Dave, the man who gave them LOTs of business, got shafted by them! :evil:

I must admit Hegerty have been great, always very polite and helpful. It would be worth the DOC talking to them, if they have not already, as they do good deals for club members.
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
jerzybondov Wrote:Bishop Calway: £195.31 Woohoo! Will also insure on a VIN number before the car gets registered.

That's good to know Bishop Calway are still quoting for DeLoreans. A while back they said they weren't taking on any new policies for DeLoreans any more. No idea why?

I've been with Bishop Calway since 2003 when I very first insured VIN# 4400 (I would have been about 18 years old at the time!) and then I swapped VIN# 12173 onto the policy last year. They have always given great service and have even reduced the cost of the premium while VIN# 12173 is off the road during restoration Big Grin

Cheers,

Phil
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Hi

saw Hagerty at the motorshow and they were great.

quoted £365, thats for a Delorean and the MG SVR 5 litre!

what a quote, so am switching to them from AON (which seem to be getting more expensive just for the D)

steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Hi,

I also saw Hagerty at the NEC... they refused to insure me Shock

Said my cars were too rare and of too great a value.

So renewed with Richard Hoskins again.. they cant be beat.. Delorean was same as last year under £100 fully comp with all the whistles and bells. Big Grin

I'd be wary of Hagerty's, what insurance company have you heard of that worry about an insurance payout, so won't insure you :roll:

Has anyone made a claim with them?

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
have you got any details for Richard Hoskins that you could put on here?

I'm sure, with everyone wanting the best deals these days, it could be worth member's ringing
them for a quote.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie