Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeLorean Blog
Very interesting info Ozzie, thanks for keeping us updated!
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Hey my UK D friends,
Just posted a blog entry about an iPhone app called Car Care.
I've been using it for almost two years and find it useful, hope you find the mini-review interesting.
http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... w-use.html

Regards.
Updated through 2010, Q2 (45 months of data)

Summary:

The second quarter of 2010 for DeLorean eBay sales, kept it's tiny upward trend

Graph, tabular summary,
here

Details:

* Nearly the same quantity of cars were sold in Q1 (21), as in Q2 (22).
* Following the quantity sold trend, it appears there will be more cars sold in 2010 (YTD: 43), than in 2009 (52).
* All three metrics of Max, Low, and Avg sold in 2010, are still exceeding the same metrics from 2009.
* Although the average selling price this year ($15,600) is above 2009's data ($14,733), that number still has a way to go to match 2007's average ($17,659).
* By (US) States, the most cars sold were in California (6), followed by Michigan (4) and Arizona (3).

In closing...
Still some good buys out there on great looking DeLoreans, in the high teens, low 20's. Let's all keep our fingers crossed for continued positive trends in the enconomy, in general.

( I am not sure why, but I can't paste the rest of the blog posting. There is an interesting background story about the highest selling DeLorean sold on eBay, so far, in of 2010. Just hit the link above for graph & chart)

That's it for 2010, Q2, hope you all still enjoy these updates.
Updated through 2010, EOY (now: 51 months of data)
Sorry for the delays, but here is the data on eBay sales of DeLoreans, cut, sliced, and summarized. Below is an update to reflect a 51 month period, of DeLorean DMC-12s sold on eBay.

Link to tables & Graphs

Summary:
The 3rd and 4th quarter of 2010 saw a rise in the selling prices of DeLoreans on eBay.

Details:
So what happened in 2010 with respect to the sales of DeLoreans on eBay?
Well as the data shows:
  • Per the trend line, Sales seem to have followed “The Great Recession” in that a slight recovery was noticed in the 3rd and 4th quarter.
  • In 2010, the amount of cars sold were 56% higher than the previous year, and nearly matched the amount of sales in 2008.
  • Whereas the maximum, average, and low selling values in 2009 were less than 2008, in 2010 all three indicators were higher than 2009. This may possibly be a reflection of slightly stronger consumer confidence (in other words, there may be more buyers out there now).
  • By States, the most cars sold were in California (11), followed by Ohio (7), Florida (5), and Arizona and Michigan (4 each).

In closing...
If you wanted to generalize based on the data tracked here (don't count 2006, it is not a full year of data, as I started gathering it only on the last quarter of that year), then the average Delorean on eBay in 2007 sold for $18K, in 2008: $17K, in 2009: $15K, and in 2010: $16K …will we see the average selling price back up to $17K in 2011? Keep checking the blog (or updates here), as I’ll continue to post quarterly updates.

Disclaimer: eBay sales do not define the DeLorean market, but it sure is an interesting indicator of trends.
Interesting stuff Ozzie!
I may be late in posting, but I have not stopped collecting the data, so… here it is:
57(!) months of eBay sales of DeLoreans.

My last updated was at the end of 2010, so this update represents the first six months of the year. The results are always interesting to dissect and speculate, here is what I see in the data.

Looking at the trend line:
The upward (increasing selling price) trend that was noticed in Q3 and Q4 remained for the first half of the year. The dip in the trend parallels the global state of the economy, where recession ruled, for nearly a year from May 2009 to May 2010. It appears that as far as DeLoreans go, selling prices continue to pick up, albeit, at a slow pace.

Looking at the table:
While the trend in prices has a gone up, the table shows though that the amount of cars sold is low compared to the previous year. At the half of 2011 there were less cars sold than in 2010. Perhaps this means that there were more bargain hunters OR more were tempted by the lower selling price of DeLoreans in 2010. In the many, many months I have tracked these sales, 2011 Q1 and Q2 definitely showed the least amount of cars sold in a month than previously seen.

Checking my previous updates, at the last update I wrote:
“If you wanted to generalize based on this data, the average Delorean on eBay in 2007 sold for $18K, in 2008: $17K, in 2009: $15K, and in 2010: $16K …will we see the average sale back up to $17K in 2011?”
Well, it looks like we may be headed that way. In 2011 you can see that the trend of the average car sold is actually 5% over the previous year. So far this year cars sold averaged nearly $17K, which is almost back to 2008 levels. Even the lowest purchased cars (must be running cars to make this data) jumped up to 10% from 2010, again paralleling close to 2008 levels.

By States, the most cars sold were in Florida (6), followed by California (4).
The lowest Vin sold was 725, highest was 16874.
Lowest miles: 10K, highest: $95K (which coincidently was Vin 725).
fascinating info, and interesting to see that the DMC-12 has remained fairly 'recession proof'
compared to some exotica.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thanks for the feedback, Claire and all.

To all:

Ok, I've been off work on a staycation, and was able to find time to get some things done around the house and the car, and my blog.

So today I posted this today:
"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

Yeah, it's a bit long...but I tried to make it comprehensive, and it is based on my experiences with a completed full LED conversion. Hope you all find it useful.

Regards.
2011 EOY Update

Happy New Year! I have updated my blog with my tabulation and summary of eBay sales of DeLoreans, for the past 62(!) months, or just over 5 years. The results are always interesting to dissect and speculate, here is what I see in the data.

As the chart shows, in 2011, we saw the largest annual trend rise that has been recorded in the last five years. Notably Q3 and Q4 had a good share of $20K+ cars sold.

From my perspective in the States, there are some signs the economy is moving ahead. The signs are sporadic, but they are there in that while there isn't the wild amount of cash being thrown around, it is being put out when the right product comes along (examples: pricey iPhones, Hyundai and Ford cars). Apparently this may apply DeLoreans as well, based on the ebay selling price trends in 2011.

The Table shows the tabulated description of this upswing, where with respect to the previous year, the selling price:
  • Average increased by 10%, which is also the second consecutive year of positive increase double digits this year.
  • Lowest sold, as I track them these are non project/drivable cars, and you can see that on eBay the lowest priced running cars have gone up, nearing $10K now.
  • Highest sold are typically the outliers, but you'll note that one car sold for just a wee bit higher than last year’s high seller, and the histogram shows that there were two $30K+ cars sold.
  • Range/SD: The difference in the spread between the lowest and highest sold also increased in 2011.
  • Skew: The histogram illustrates the selling prices are clustered around mid to high teens.

Some final breakdown of 2011 sales:

By States sold in
California ( 9 )
Florida ( 8 )
Ohio ( 6 )

By Vin#
Lowest: 719
Highest: 16874

By Miles
Lowest: 1,700
Highest: 111,000

By year
1981:55
1982: 5
1983: 9

Summary
So that's the 2011 numbers and analysis, as I always say this is not the definitive description of how DeLoreans sell in general, but it sure is interesting to see the trends on eBay.

Wishing everyone a safe, healthy, happy, and prosperous 2012.
Hello fellow DeLorean friends from afar. Just a quick note that I've updated my blog to cover 2012 Q1 & Q2 sales on ebay on our favorite car. Some interesting trends, check it out:

Link Here

...text below.

"I may be late posting, but I have not stopped collecting the data, so… here it is a summary and notes of 69(!) months of eBay sales of DeLorean.

My last updated was at the end of 2011, so this update represents the first six months of the year. The results are always interesting to dissect and speculate, here is what I see in the data.

Looking at the trend line: You can see an undeniable trend for the last 18 months of upward (increasing selling price). DeLorean prices seem to have recovered from the 2010 dip, paralleling the state of global economic conditions during those times. However, in Q1 and Q2 of 2012, there has been a very steady, and moderately steep, rise in sold prices; incredibly, the rise is the most significant since I have been tracking this data since Q3 2006.

Looking at the table: Here we see the details of this rise in prices. First we note that in the first two quarters of 2012, the quantity of sold cars is on track to match the 2011 numbers (total sold in 2011: 69, and most sold was in 2008: 82)

Then we see that the average price (this is the number that is graphed above) in 2012 so far, is a healthy (or alarming I suppose depending your status as buyer or seller) 10% increase from last year. The trend seems to be that every year the average price of a DeLorean sold on eBay is tickling closer to $20K for a running decent Delorean in non-project condition.

Interestingly enough, the lowest sold running one that will require labor and parts it get to back to a decent condition, jumped up 32% from last year - this, and the increase in good condition cars, could also be attributed to the fact that more and more DeLoreans are being restored. This is again evidenced in the spread of selling prices, where the Standard Deviation (“SD”) is showing the narrowest range in 2012, than I have ever recorded since I’ve tracked these sales.

Finally some anecdotal data for 2012 Q1-Q2: By States, the most cars sold were in California (9), then a tie with Florida (4) and in New York (4), followed by Ohio (3). The lowest Vin sold was 982, highest was 20059. Lowest miles: 997 (which was the highest selling so far in 2012, at $31K), highest: 100K.

That's my summary, stop back to see how the trend for the year finishes."