Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing a new exhaust
There are other exhaust comapnies out there who manufacture SS exhausts, if they R&D based on other systems ....for a multiple order im sure they would do it ....competition is a good thing and all that ....

Maybe see what Ed's supplier can do for a multiple order ??
I'm potentially up for it if a multiple order gets created, for what it's worth!

I've got another question too actually about the exhausts - I remember reading something about them being made in low, medium and high versions in terms of noisiness, but only the mediums get made now. Is this true? Also, how much noisier than a stock exhaust is it? For example, I'm happy to have a rorty exhaust note under acceleration, but not so keen on the racket some exhausts give you at 80mph on the motorway.

Has anybody who's got one got an opinion on this?
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Dan1986 Wrote:Hi James. Let us know if you get a good discount, becuase I might be interested in one if the price is low enough. Cheers, Dan
Ditto, If the price was right and I could hide it from 'her indoors', count me in!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Ok so that is 5 people now?

I think Julian is interested too?, that could be 6?

Although I think Julian might have a potential different supplier, have to see what he says.
Hi

I have emailed Ed.
A Van Wrote:Hi

I have emailed Ed.

There are many companies who could fabricate such an exhaust, and if a deal can't be negotiated with the current producer I will look elsewhere my target price if £750 for the raw un-polished kit, not including installation etc... which I think is acheivable.

If John Hervy can have headers made from SS and sell them (presumably making a profit) for about $700 (approx £455) then there must be the oportunity to manufacture somthing in this country for around £750 with a silencer.

I was very tempted (untill the exchange rate dropped) to buy one of Johns header sets and just add 2 (uk sourced) in-line silencers straight out the back of the car, when the exchange rate was more favorable, that option would have set me back about £650 including shipping & taxes etc... which seemed pretty reasonable.

£750 per set with 5 commited parties would be £3750 in cold hard cash, I would have thought that might be of interest to any fabricator.

My car is effectivly off the road until I have an exhaust to fit.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Hi James,

The only issue with other suppliers is that we won't know what the sound will be like and finish of the welds.

A bit anal I know, but we all like perfection for our beloved toys.

Apparently I have heard the fitment of the current UK supplier is supreme and uses all the original mounting points.

I would prob lean towards sorting our UK supplier as love the polished look and we could haggle.

Rich
Richard Milliken
DOC 417
Vin #10163.

Kevin Milliken

[Image: Signa-1.jpg]
James - interesting plan. If you can find a decent company that would be able to do it for less, I'd definitely be interested and I'm sure a few others would be too...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Ok, do you want me to ask the UK guys?, or does someone else want to do it?
Al

If it was me I would ask the UK company who makes these already, the headers are fabricated using pulled bends and not welded bends / short pieces.... Plus they fit very well and do the job ... all the problems of 'fit' and 'performance' have been 'ironed out'

Surely if you tell them you want 5 / 6 sets and if they dont do you a deal your buying from elsewhere that will dangle a big enough carrot Smile ... they were particularly interested when i mentioned Ed makes these now .... Wink

If it was me now I would only get the backbox and tips polished .... that was £60 for the whole lot for me..
Hi

Thanks Mike,

I have emailed them, I'll see what they come up with.

Thanks Mike,

I have emailed them, I'll see what they come up with.

Yes you need to make them aware that there are alternatives out there so that we have a bit of leverage if they beleive they are the only supplier then they'll stick to their guns.

I know the UK system is tried and tested and I'm sure Ed's system is too and it to get a new manufacturer on board would be a pain so it's definatly preferable to try and get a deal from one of the current producers

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK

I have emailed Ed.

I'm not quite sure why Ed's system is £500+ more expensive than the UK one (current exchange rate puts it at £1515.00) , and it centainly doesn't look as
attractive with all of the joins, unlike the UK one which is actually bent tube rather than lots of small bends welded together.

[Image: ex_1.jpg]
[Image: ex_2.jpg]

I know he's on this list so maybe he will comment.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Short pieces and bends = lots of welds = exhaust gas flow restrictions ..

Pulled bends on the UK one

[Image: DSC01926640x480.jpg]
bozzzydmc Wrote:Short pieces and bends = lots of welds = exhaust gas flow restrictions ..

Pulled bends on the UK one

[Image: DSC01926640x480.jpg]

yeah that's my point, why is Ed's so much more expensive! perhaps it part of being part of the Delorean Motor Company ;-)

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK