Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Checks
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum as a new (well April) Delorean owner.

This will obviously be my first winter with the car and I would just like to check if there is anything I should do - for example, make sure the anti-freeze is topped up, etc etc.

Simple things like this are proving quite difficult, as being such an unusual car, I'm not sure where to put what fluids!

I am driving it about once a week, but I suspect that this will be less over the winter months

I wondered if any of you guys would have any advice or could point me in the direction of 'Delorean care 101!'.

On a separate issue - I don't seem to have any reverse lights. I have check the bulbs which seem fine and I understand that there is no fuse for these lights on an automatic box. Any hints would be greatly welcomed.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve Thompson
vin 1271
Hi Steve

Personally i don't really do much at all.

if you don't start for a while disconnect the battery, and you could put some fuel saver in the tank (to stop the petrol turning nasty!)

i might buy a bubble, there is a cheaper one for sale in this country, half the price of a carcoon. Phil has an airchamber which seems good, and has a frame with it.

Definately worth changing the coolant when it comes out of hibernation, to stop any damage
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
In my view its more a case of where you store it.

A dry garage is where i store mine with a humidifier (set on low)

Apart from disconnecting the battery ( which is on a key Switch ) and running the fuel down to a minimum is all I really do to mine.

Ive stopped covering it with a car cover. This lets it air rather than trapping any condensation.

Some say over inflate the tyres to prevent flat spots.

I would check your coolant for age prior to storage but winter is a good time to change all your fluids .
Thanks guys.

I have to keep it outside, so I do put a cover over it. I don't have room for a bubble sadly.

All the best

Steve
I still think the best thing you can do is keep the car (and I include any car in this) used over the winter, even if it's off the road just give it a drive every couple of weeks when it's dry weather, operate everything including the Air-con. You should be able to check the anti-freeze with a tester, but if there is any doubt just change it.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
stevieT Wrote:Thanks guys.

I have to keep it outside, so I do put a cover over it. I don't have room for a bubble sadly.

All the best

Steve

Hi Steve

If you do put a cover over it make sure its well tied down, any flapping of it in the wind can cause annoying scratches Sad
I'll certainly give it a quick once 'round the block every week or so.

How do I test the anti freeze??

Thanks again for the help

Steve
http://www.workshopsupplies.co.uk/index1.html

Whilst it will tell you the effectiveness of the antifreeze it wont show its age...

If your unsure of when it was last done or if its more than 2 years old, flush this out and put some fresh stuff in .... I do mine every year anyway...