Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing rear suspension
Finally got all the bits I need to sort out my rear suspension (hopefully), new shocks, springs and bush sets.

Now, not having attempted this before, any advice/help either on-list or physical presence :lol: would be appreciated ....
Phill Wright
Vin #6772 'Sorbet'
Avantime 'M4TRA'
Sera 'Tarts Handbag'
95 1.7TD Cavalier 'Mazzie' BIO VXL. Run on 100% Veg oil ... :-)
'NUKE', the very last Cavalier made! rescued from a scrap dealer and now restored.
DOC 233
[Image: sorbet1.jpg][Image: dmcspin.gif][Image: sorbet2.jpg]
Get a good quality set of spring compressors.
The springs will have to be compressed on the car.

A vice is probably handy to squeeze the new bushes in.
Do you have new tab bolts?

If you are removing the trailing arm shields it is worthwhile spending some extra time replacing the bolts under the battery/ behind driver seat compartment with the stainless ones on a strip. I found the tool that tightens the angle grinder disk on my black and decker angle grinder fits ok. Definately a 2 person job though but you'll be glad it is done.

Air tools help.

Good luck.

NickT.
Hi folks, first time I've posted, so hello to all. I,ve just stripped all the rear down on mine, to give it a good clean & coat of paint. It's a doddle, no special tools really, you don't need any spring compressors for the rears, just put stands under the chassis & let the weight off the suspension. Comes apart dead easy. BTW Phil I'm the guy that stopped on your drive that day last summer, to ask about the car & thanks to you I now have one. I only live down the road from you so no doubt we may cross paths soon.
I've still got Rich's spring compressors (I think) in case :-). I already have the stainless strips that hold the TA covers on but have new tab's already so shouldn't need to remove em. I will be replacing the shocks, rear springs and top/bottom bushes, plus anything else that looks dodgy when I get it apart.
I remember the visit :-), I don't live there anymore (still own the place) I have moved up to Hulland Ward near Ashbourne, you're most welcome to pop up anytime for a chat and a coffee (or something a bit stronger) :-)

Also, have just bought an engine crane ... so if anyone needs use of one let me know.

Phill W
Phill Wright
Vin #6772 'Sorbet'
Avantime 'M4TRA'
Sera 'Tarts Handbag'
'NUKE', the very last Cavalier made! rescued from a scrap dealer and now restored.
DOC 233
Nice one Phil, will be in touch, I'll take you up on that offer. My missus works very close to you at the aggregate place in Hulland Ward so I know more or less where you are & from what I recall there's only about a dozen houses in the village anyhow.
Aggregates, yeah we know the place, and their trucks thundering through the village every day....... Sad

Actually, we can see the plant at night (although its about a mile away across the fields) as its lit up like a Christmas Tree!! :lol:

We're off the main road, but handily located for the Nags Head Big Grin so look forward to meeting up again sometime Smile

There's mine and Claire's D's here, so we could always take the D's for a cruise around the Dales one day too if you like. Theres also a monthly car meet at South Wingfield that we go to, although that probably wont take off again now until the spring.

Cheers,

Phill W
Phill Wright
Vin #6772 'Sorbet'
Avantime 'M4TRA'
Sera 'Tarts Handbag'
DOC 233
Rear springs can be released without the use of compressors, explosives, corrosives or angle grinders. It's actually really, really easy, as long as you have one axle stand with a notch in the top, some nice strong zip-ties and a good tall jack. 8)
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Would you re-torque the bolts with the weight of the car on the suspension?
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Phil Peters Wrote:Would you re-torque the bolts with the weight of the car on the suspension?

Good Point... Yes the weight of the car needs to be on the suspension before final torquing up, same goes for 'tab' bolts
Phill Wright Wrote:Finally got all the bits I need to sort out my rear suspension (hopefully), new shocks, springs and bush sets.

Now, not having attempted this before, any advice/help either on-list or physical presence :lol: would be appreciated ....

As a matter of interest, did you go for OEM stuff or something different Phil?
well, springs are OEM (from Dave H, though I suspect he may have sent a set of original front ones Sad instead of rears ) the shocks are apparantly what Houston supply and the bushes are the new blue jobbies from Ed ...

Phill W
Phill Wright
Vin #6772 'Sorbet'
Avantime 'M4TRA'
Sera 'Tarts Handbag'
DOC 233
hi where do you get the stainless strips with bolts in that hold the sheilds on under the trailng arm bolts,i had 1 bolt snap,

thanks in advance
only one bolt ? ...lucky you Smile

http://pjgrady.com/specials.asp

Stainless Trailing Arm Shield Bracket Kit

You could see if Darren / Chris can supply it through www.pjgrady.co.uk
Yeah, mine were fitted by PJ Grady while the car was in the USA, it was maintained by them (very well).

Cheers, Phill W
Phill Wright
Vin #6772 'Sorbet'
Avantime 'M4TRA'
Sera 'Tarts Handbag'
DOC 233
http://www.dmctalk.com/showthread.php?t=4544

This should be of some help to you Phil.