Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dodgy Starter
Hi everyone.

This is one that won't go away.

Does anybody know if Dave Howarth has any new/refurbished starter motors?

If not, where can I source one in this country preferably with a solenoid as I don't know which part of mine is at fault.

I have done multiple tests on the battery, and satisfied my doubt that it's not that at fault.

Starter motor is turning the engine over way too slow 99% of the time.

Sometimes it will turn the engine over fast, but very rarely, even when warm and after a run.

I don't mind core charges, but I physically want a new unit before I go taking the old one off.

Thanks
Have you removed the solenoid an dhad a look at the contacts?
Have you done a load test on your new smaller battery? A local garage can usually do this in 5 mins.

I presume your car is a later vin and doesn't need the wiring mod in the relay base.
I am also presuming that you have checked the cleanliness and integrety of the existing battery cables.

For the relay mod have a look at:

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-05-2.82.html

from bulletins:
http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/index.html

You can buy just the solenoid part from SpecialT Auto but there has got to be a local starter reconditioning place that can do a test on it for you.

NickT
Thanks Nick...... never had no trouble until the event at the beginning of this post.

The battery is new, but even with a bigger battery piggy backed onto it with jump leads, it makes no odds. Still turns slow.

My car is a later Vin, yes, therefore no mods should be necessary.

I'll see if I can get the motor off later this week, and check out the contacts on the solenoid.

As for sending it away for reconditioning, that's not really an option without having the car hanging around in someones workshop for a week while it's being done.

Ben
Dave did have and I'm sure still has starters in stock. I got mine from him earlier this year was about £100 exchange if I remember correctly.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks for the info Chris.

Car is having the starter removed tomorrow, and having the solenoid lubed up and contacts cleaned.

If this doesn't solve my problem's, I'll ring Dave.

Cheers,

Ben
It might be worthwhile just checking that the starter relay mod has been done and your car battery load tested too to rule out all problems.

Other than checking that all relevant cables are not corroded, broken and the ends are clean and intact then get the starter motor checked.

Good luck, hope the problem gets sorted with a minimum of fuss.

NickT
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:Thanks for the info Chris.

Car is having the starter removed tomorrow, and having the solenoid lubed up and contacts cleaned etc.

This temporarily solved the problem, well at least I thought it did.

But it's as bad now as it was when the problem started, if not worse.... So I rang Dave H, and ordered one, which i'll get collected in the new year. (PS, Manchester is quite a trek from here, so if anyone is passing Dave's who is going to be heading this way, please let me know!) Otherwise i'll get it collected via courier. I'm sending the cheque tomorrow, but theres no rush till the new year.

This is going to be part of a huge-ish service in January, as well as coolant changing, oil, plugs etc.

Then i'm definately having the facias repainted before the spring.

I feel dead guilty for not have ringing Dave months ago when this started, because you couldn't ask for a nicer person to deal with. £85 Brand New.

Anyway, that's me all over putting off the inevitable.

Ben