Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vin 5255 pre-MOT annual service
My car went in for its pre-MOT annual service today. Two of the original HT leads came apart when removed to replace the spark plugs. B28F 1977-1981 Volvo 260 is a perfect match for these (thanks for texting this to me Bozzy!).

Thanks to Alistair 'VAN'stone, Martin G, Rich H and Bozzy for the quick replies back about a few other part numbers. Greatly appreciated guys! Big Grin The parts were ordered and arrived during the service. The MOT is due on Thursday and based on the checks made it should sail straight through.

The alternator belt is only maybe 2 years old at the most and is already starting to Fray slightly. The weird thing is that whoever they order from doesn't recognise the VFB271 Quinton Hazel code for the 12mm thick belt. Does anyone know the best place to order one from so that it can be in MK for close of play Wednesday?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Isnt that not a 'Motaquip ' part number Chris ?

Fingers crossed for Thursday!
You could measure the length of your old belt in mm and buy one from Halfords.

FOR EXAMPLE 1440C is 1440mm long C is 12mm wide.

or

1440 x 12
is same code.

NickT
The car passed its MOT on the first attempt Big Grin

The alternator was replaced not long ago and the newer beefier unit (to provide contingency against the alarm and ICE) is deeper which meant part of the black plastic cowling on the back was getting a little too close to one of the bespoke exhaust headers. The solution was to fit a 1300mm long belt opposed to the 1250mm long stock belt so that the alternator could be swivelled out of the way more. The adjustment arm for the alternator has maxed out so if the belt stretches/squeals when run in I will need to fit a bespoke longer adjustment arm to compensate...

I found that although a 10mm x 1250mm wide alternator belt was fitted before the new, wider 13mm version still grips well in the narrow/stock pulleys.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
For you Chris anything.............................
Great stuff Chris! I really must come up your way soon and go for a ride and a catch up! Ive just taken my Volvo 740 down to the garage for its MOT, probably going to be the first legit MOT its had in years, if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg... which I have a feeling it might! But I've spent loads on it already so I doubt Im gonna sell it anytime soon!
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
Good luck with your MOT Jonny! You're more than welcome to come up for a ride and a catch up, whenever you're free email me off the forum.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138