Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most original Delorean Question I have had
A guy asked me today a question that I could not answer.

He said "How did Deloreans ever pass safety tests?"

I said "What do you mean?"

He said "If you roll a Delorean onto its roof, how do you get out?"

I said to him "It is very unlikely you will end up on your roof to be honest"

So has anyone else ever been stumped by a question like this?
Follow my Restoration Progress at http://www.project2456.co.uk
VIN 2456, 2835
DOC 621
Either Kick the windscreen or one of the side windows out Big Grin

Dan
"What do you do if you loose your hat or something when driving?, having that space around you must make it drafty"

....... :roll:

"close the door."
Lotus did actually test what would happen if the car was upside down. They put an engineer inside and then carefully placed the car on it's roof to see if he could get out.

The test showed that it is possible to partially open the doors - and the guy was able to crawl out with no problem. Obviously would depend on the size of the individual!

I'll see if I can did the paperwork out and scan it for you - it was part of the early crash testing. Safe to assume that Lotus know how to design cars - I doubt they would have overlooked the possibility that a car could end up on it's roof.

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
The same question goes to all other gulling door/ lambo door.... :lol:

But for safety sake, I have 2 fire extinguisher and a glass hammer+seat belt cutter in the cabin.
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
I thought it was possible to actually tip the car somewhat by opening the door.
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
I want to answer this if I may!

No car manufacturer does mre testing than is required of them in the pre=production and testing of any new model.

there has never been any test on any car to see what happens to it if it lands on its roof.

only recently, in the past 2 years has there been anything close and that is the affects of a car crashing into street furniture, eg phone boxes lamposts etc.

the Delorean in theory due to its low center of gravity and wide track was marketed as not going to ever land on its roof.
dont forget that this was pre cotton wool nanny state, no one gave a poo!

as with any accident it depends on what hits you or you hit that depends on your survival or risk of injury or death.

I dont doubt one little bit that a Delorean could end up on its roof, and if i was in it when it happened it would defenitly break my neck and/or crush my head.
:evil:

with the weight of the car on top of the hinging point, making it possible to open the door is going to be difficult, unless you have superhuman powers and are able to lift a D with all 4 wheels off the ground.

I have to have my say on the Matter its what I am qualified in. but if you want to see what Renault where doing to gedivers in the 1970s it s :twisted: urley must be on youtube

:twisted:
Vin #1458
My reputition proceeds me....>
I would imagine that because the car's engine is mounted behind the rear wheels, bigger wheels on the rear, and heavier part of the chassis is to the rear, if the car were to be tipped upside down, it would counter-balance between the T-Piece of the roof, and the louvre. Should be quite easy to rock your way out, and even easier when all your fuel has leaked out of the fuel tank!
:lol:

hope no body has to experiance something like this but the Delorean isnt quite up to date in safety aspects.

there are some production cars with gull wings recently the Gumpert and the Merc CLK Le mans jobbie to name but a few.

BOTTOM LINE YOU CRASH YOU DIE :twisted:
Vin #1458
hi

i doubt you would be able to kick out the front screen, particularly if original. they are well bonded in.

you would certainly be better off however than alot of cars, MX5, TR7 Drophead, spitfire, midget, mgb roadster, etc as not many have rollover bars.

Even a 3 series BMW would have to rely on the screen pillars (reinforced?)
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Hi all i have been reading the answers to the question i thought i had read somewhere that deloreans where designed in such a way that they couldn't end up on there roofs.The cars shape prevented that from happening.i may be totaly wrong has anyone eles read this or was i just dreaming about it?????
Thanks Tyson
no I think your right, it maybe in the brochure or in a documentury, although not acrurate in terms of weight and balance, but if you have a 1/18 scale model try to roll it on a wooden floor, (brum, brum!) but does try to flip. :lol:
Vin #1458
steve.s Wrote:hi

i doubt you would be able to kick out the front screen, particularly if original. they are well bonded in.

Hi Steve,

Actually the original screens were held in with a form of double sided tape that it actually surprisingly easy to get off. A few good kicks and 90% of the screen came out the last time I did one.

The Delorean does not have any roll bars in the fiber glass body to reinforce or protect the occupants in a crash. All that would support you when you were upside down would be the doors and the fiber glass body itself !!!

Dan
On the subject of silly delorean questions, at the classics on the common the other day somone came up to me really amazed looking and said "wow how did you get one of these because they were all burried when delorean was arested weren't they?"
I've seen pictures of one Delorean what was flipped. There are links on DMCtalk to a page (also check out DML pictures).

apparently the guy got out and walked away.

not pleasent to look at i must say.