Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
steering knuckle
Well I'm starting to think about the jobs I'm going to do on Maddie over the winter and the main thing I'd like to do is check out the steering column/knuckle.

I've got a bit of play in the steering wheel and I think it must be somewhere in the universal joint on the steering column.

How easy is it to get access too? ir is it a whole dropping the steering rack out type affair?

Stu
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

[Image: signature.jpg]

Emagine Productions

W: www.emagineproductions.co.uk
Is the steering column 'tight' as it goes through the bushing in the fire wall Stu?
how do you mean Mike?

Up and down movement?
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Emagine Productions

Yes as the steering shaft goes through the bushing in the firewall can you wiggle this around at this point?

Has this bushing been renewed at all ?

(If its rubber then its prob origional )

[Image: 5-2-1.gif]

Part 23

Oh and make sure your steering wheel adjustment knob is tightened up.
ahhhh sorry..... I see what you mean.

I'm talking more about steering wheel play in the fact that you can turn the steering wheel a bit without the wheels moving. Hence why I'm thinking knuckle.

Had the rack refurbbed about 2 years ago
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Emagine Productions

Emagine Wrote:ahhhh sorry..... I see what you mean.

I'm talking more about steering wheel play in the fact that you can turn the steering wheel a bit without the wheels moving. Hence why I'm thinking knuckle.

Had the rack refurbbed about 2 years ago

Play in the Knuckle eh!, I think the correct term for that is a Knuckle Shuffle

Hope this helps

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Cheers James..... I did wonder exactly what the technical term was.

So my Delorean have a knuckle shuffle problem..... how many Knuckles on a Delorean anyway..... god please don't let there be 5!!!!!! Wink

So how do I get to look at this part of the car anyway?
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Emagine Productions

Remove the inspection cover below the petrol filler, and the inspection plate that surrounds the brake fluid filler cap.

All usually held on with phillips screws, several of which the rivnuts will just spin and spin and spin and spin and...... :roll:
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Emagine Wrote:how many Knuckles on a Delorean anyway..... god please don't let there be 5!!!!!! Wink

PMSL

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
JamesRGUK Wrote:
Emagine Wrote:how many Knuckles on a Delorean anyway..... god please don't let there be 5!!!!!! Wink

PMSL

James

This topic is going downhill fast Shock good for a laugh though :lol:

Chris
(keeping has hands occupied painting. Shock
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I have play in my lower knuckle joint. Part 15 in the above DMC Texas drawing. stunned_monkey mentioned to me what car their from, but it escapes me now. I'm wishing to replace mine with a new one (new bearing type instead of plug if possible). Anyone know the parts reference for either type? I think stunned_monkey said it was a Jag of some sort, but can't remember, maybe he can remind me, or someone else knows....? I don't even know how I can be particular enough with a description of the part to find it through a motor factors!?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
....found the regular type. Still, anyone know how to get the improved bearing type?

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-CRC2481
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Thought Martin was doing complete replacements inc the shaft for reasonable money???

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:Thought Martin was doing complete replacements inc the shaft for reasonable money???

Chris

Yeah, I'm aware of this, but as Martin said, there was nothing wrong with the rest of my connection. Just the lower Universal Joint was worn and sloppy. So no need to spend more than what was required.

Anyway, I ordered one of the Rover SD1 ones from Rimmer Bros, and it arrived within 36hrs of ordering it on the internet. I picked it up last night, and spend a couple of hours in the drive, flying by the seat of my pants to get it in place of the old worn one. (No jacking up, and completely lost original positions for the linking of the three sections, so had to align from scratch using best judgement, but got there on my first go. 1 & 1/4 turns in each direction, with the steering wheel almost perfectly straight in a straight line (same as before)).
Took the car for a test drive once done, and I have to say WHAT A DIFFERENCE it has made. Immediate, and much more defined reaction from the steering wheel, and without all the sloppy uncertain-ness with the original play I had (about 2cm). I might even go as far as to say that the car now feels "easy" to drive! THAT'S how much an affect it has had. The car feels lighter.

Total cost with VAT and postage and packing. £24.72. (advertised at £15.00 on their site)

It is practically identical to the original. Some minor differences, but not enough to make it not work as the original did. I could have done the job a lot quicker if it wasn't for the machined splined faces on the inside of the joint being all painted up the same as the rest of the joint. I spent a good hour scraping and cleaning the paint off the splines to get them to slide on to the bar on each end. So anyone needing one of these in the future, all you need is some perseverance and a small flat blade screwdriver to get into the the ridges of the spline, and just run the blade up and down the length of each ridge a few times to clear out the paint. Eventually, the joint will slide on to the bar without much hassle. With the paint on there though, it was impossible. I tapped it a couple of times gently with a rubber mallet, but didn't want to hit it hard as this may weaken the joint, meaning my purchase would be rendered pointless. As I say, a little patience. 8)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
nice one mate, glad you got it sorted, and at reasonable cost too - and interesting to
see how much of a difference it has made too Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie