Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat bypass pipe
Well I spend most of today doing battle with my cat bypass pipe. I bought a stainless one off Mike and christ what a job!! The old bolts were completely siezed up, and how on earth are you suposed to get to them!!! After a lot of swearing and straining I got it off, then tried to fit the new one. Would it fit on my silencer? NO! :evil: Did battle with it for hours and I think I've got it to fit now but given up for today and will finish it tomorow. Is it just my bad luck or are these known to be a pain? :roll:
VIN: 6511
yep. I had problems with mine.

I had to remove the silencer completely and, once the bypass was mounted, slide the silencer onto the bypass.

I used heat on the four manifold bolts they came off easy Smile

It still blows where the bypass meets the silencer..

Dave.
Hi Dan

Dont remember it being too much of a pain to put it on to the silencer , the cat bypass has the slots cut into the end to help it go over the pipe on back box, whilst tight on mine it wasnt to hard to get on and off , perhaps clean up the outside of the exhaust pipe realy well with wet and dry and use some copper grease on it to help it go on matey. Maybe even take the back box off and fit it off the car, it could be the end on the cat pipe needs splaying out a little.

Hope that helps.
I took it to a local garage and the chap charged me £30, he said it was a bit of a pain in the ar** and would have chanrged more, good job we agreed the price before he did the work!

I would have thought any exhaust place would do this for very little money.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
I'm sure they would but the problem is I don't trust anyone with my D :wink: :lol:

I've now cleaned out the inside of the bypass pipe with the die grinder and it goes on a little easier now, the silencer tube now gets past the slots anyway :wink: I'll try and put it all back on the car after work tonight.

I'm glad I'm changing it though, the old steel one was a right old state!
Its on Big Grin Fitted perfectly with a clear head today and the inside of the pipe cleaned out with the die grinder. So much easier putting it back with new bolts that trying to get rusted and seized ones out!!!
Dan1986 Wrote:Its on Big Grin Fitted perfectly with a clear head today and the inside of the pipe cleaned out with the die grinder. So much easier putting it back with new bolts that trying to get rusted and seized ones out!!!

It's always the way isn't it !

NickT