Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"EuroTec" Weekend in Norfolk, UK - 5th June 2009
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
JamesRGUK Wrote:
A Van Wrote:
Quote:Moreton Park Lodge Motel, Welsh border:

“To top it off, I awoke in the morning with what appeared to be flea bites down my arms where they had touched the woolen blanket. It was a miserable night's stay, and I was offered no discount for not getting the room I had booked.

“The room we were given had been heavily smoked in previously. It stank. There was no other available room. The attitude of the staff was "take it or leave it", not our fault if guests smoke in the rooms”

“This hotel has suffered since we stayed there 3 years ago it is now no more than a builders overnight stop over, the pub next door is about the worst I have had to visit and we did not eat our evening meals there we did have breakfast and that was poor the hot plate food had been out for ages eggs were hard and bacon like cardboard. The rooms are showing their age and becoming dirty.”

“The service at breakfast on the Sunday morning was pathetic.“

"They allocate rooms for smokers which is a bonus for those of us who like the occasional chuff.

Al, I think you wrote those reviews just to stir things up lol :-) besides, the last review is almost positive
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
lol!

The last one I must have not looked at properly!

A
Blimey!!!!! Glad I was at work all night. There is not a huge amount I can add to what has been mentioned by Claire already. Although I would like to just respond to a couple of points. In particular the inference that the committee may be using club funds to check out accommodation around the country. This is completely not the case, and upsetting that some one could even infer this. All the clubs committee members generously give a huge amount of time/commitment and there own money to running the club for very little in return (other than the thought they may be doing a half reasonable job) This does include looking at potential venues at their own cost both to the pocket and family commitments. The clubs accounts in particular are 100% open to inspection by any one at any time and are published in full for any one to inspect.
No One has anything against Arran or his hotel, As Claire mentioned it was decided to host a main event in different parts of the country to be fair on all the clubs membership. This did not stop Arran hosting any events he wanted as a club member. Indeed I was one of the first to book for the 2009 event (if I had a problem with Arran or his hotel would I go??) It is a great place and well suited to holding such events, and I'm sure he will continue to host these whilst they remain viable and he is generous enough to offer a discounted rate.
I dont think it's fair to put negative comments about a particular hotel gleemed of an internet search, we all can do this and I have found plenty of positive comments regarding Morton park just the same as I can find plenty of nagetive comments on Caley Hall Hotel, but it's not stopped me attending for the last few years.
I look forward to meeting up with all of those attending this year.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hey come on everyone, let's drop some of the defences and politics ! It is easy to incorrectly interpret what is written in text rather than gauge meaning if talking on the phone for example.

For me I love going to Arrans place for some excellent service, location, food and freedom to do some spannering and getting my hands oily on mine and other cars, but if the DOC organise another big event then to me this is just a bonus. I still remember the first one I went to years ago at the dog track where I first met others !

I think the more events are organised to cater for our De Loreans the better. I definately plan to attend more this year.

Group hug Big Grin

NickT
NickT Wrote:Hey come on everyone, let's drop some of the defences and politics ! It is easy to incorrectly interpret what is written in text rather than gauge meaning if talking on the phone for example.

For me I love going to Arrans place for some excellent service, location, food and freedom to do some spannering and getting my hands oily on mine and other cars, but if the DOC organise another big event then to me this is just a bonus. I still remember the first one I went to years ago at the dog track where I first met others !

I think the more events are organised to cater for our De Loreans the better. I definately plan to attend more this year.

Group hug Big Grin

NickT
Your completly right Nick, unfortunatly these things are set in action by others inflamming a subject for whatever reason it suits.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Below is a link to the site where Alistair found those negative comments:

http://tinyurl.com/dfyzff

And in the interests of balance, here’s a link to the Caley Hall comments too:

http://tinyurl.com/dn8mhq

I’m afraid I fail to see why there is such ferment opposition from some of the more ‘vocal’ members to moving the DOC Club event around for the benefit of members both around the UK and abroad. Perhaps you could enlighten me (offlist) as to why the club event must not be permitted to leave Norfolk for the foreseeable future?

I have to agree with Chris here. I am also deeply concerned about the (groundless) accusations of misappropriation of club funds.

This sort of puerile mud slinging does nothing for the image of the club, breeds bad feeling and benefits no one.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Hi

I am available to alk on the phone whenever on 07980 827 146.

Plus I did NOT INFER that club funds were being misappropriated, I merely asked a question if club funds were used or not, even if they had it would necessarily amount to missappropriation anyway.

So non issue on that one.

And also I not vehemently opposed, but I am opposed to underhandedness that appears to have gone on with various emails that remain unseen by the membership, maybe a postal voting system could be introduced so decisions like this can be made by the membership.

Al
hi arran

just to let you know that the site working we just booket up for next year :lol:

regards
sam & Glen
I don't think there's any need for any more mud slinging. Hopefully we can all agree that there is a need for more events - not just fighting over one event. This is what will help the club grow, and with me helping out personally it can only be a good thing.
Well over 50 club members and partners know full well what Caley Hall has to offer, and at the moment only 3 know about was has been described as an "alternative venue". Sites like Trip Advisor, Laterooms and Booking.Com are ten times more likely to attract a bad review than a good review, so reviews should be read to see what people are mentioning a lot e.g. 10 food poisioning reviews might indicate a problem for example! You will find the words "great location" of many of my reviews and "great food", but you won't see these words on the "alternative". It is also worth comparing to "guest expectations". Comparing the two venues on Laterooms for this week for example will show that - on the days when I actually have a spare room available it is about triple the price of the other one, so those that are unhappy are going to be three times as unhappy! Plus I'm lot busier (popular!) I can find 193 reviews for me, compared to 102.
Don't get me wrong - I don't see it this way - but linking directly to bad reviews of a club member's business when I didn't sling the mud in the first place could be seen as more stirring, and after Tony's told us to stop!

I can't see where Alistair has accused or inferred anything. He simply asked a question, since a thorny issue in the past has been "using club funds to benefit just people who attend a particular event" - something I'm hoping to reverse with a raffle this year.

As has been mentioned in previous posts - you can't just "move" EuroTec, but you can offer the membership more events, including an official club event - which we don't have at the moment. The location of events held by Caley Hall Hotel are not subject to a vote at an AGM. So far in "voting with feet", EuroTec has more attendees than the DOC AGM.

And yes Claire, as I said in my conversation with you, I would like to go to more events, rather than go to Birmingham every November! (There's no chance of moving the AGM to Benidorm is there?!)
And hopefully Peter will be doing something again this August.....?! :wink: :wink: Peter?
Afternoon all,

Im hopefully booked in now Mr Green

Dan
yep - you are - both of you !?!
Glen & Sam Wrote:hi arran

just to let you know that the site working we just booket up for next year :lol:

regards
sam & Glen
I know - You're not the only ones!
arranj Wrote:There's no chance of moving the AGM to Benidorm is there?!

Not Benidorm Arran, but we have been trying to move the AGM away from the NEC as
it is a very costly place for members to go, and we are aware of that.

I'd looked at hiring a room at Gaydon, but that will cost us several hundred pounds!

If anyone knows a good, central location, that we could cheaply hold the AGM at in the
Autumn, then all suggestions are gratefully received.

The "alternative venue" as you call it, was announced last year to the whole membership in DeLorean
News as well as being confirmed in the AGM Minutes, so there is no excuse for the membership
not to know about it and "only three people" to be aware of the DOC 2010 Summer Event.

This event is planned to be different to Caley Hall, including scenic tours of the beautiful
countryside and attractions around Shropshire, and not just another "Eurotec".

However, I am concerned about you announcing your 2010 event for the weekend before the
official DOC event, as there are many people, us included, who would have liked to attended
both, but will now be forced to make a choice because of financial limitations. This could
potentially mean that both events will end up being under attended, which would be a shame.

And vis-a-vis reviews on websites, well we all know that the only time most people put 'pen to
paper' (or fingers to keyboard as it is these days) is when they want to complain about something,
so I tend not to read too much into things like this - this is why three members of the Comittee
independently went and checked the place out for themselves (I wont name names, those that
did go can speak for themselves).

I also think you cannot compare Caley Hall to Moreton Lodge - they are chalk and cheese in
design and locations, and yours is obviously marketed as being more 'upper class'.

I trust this clarifies matters for everyone.

Fuller details of the DOC 2010 event will be posted on the Forum and in DeLorean News very shortly,
with an itinerary of events as available. I am also hoping to secure a very special guest speaker
for the Saturday night, including hopefully previously unseen original DMC Factory documentation,
but this is to be confirmed.

Regards,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Come on, altogether now......

[Image: group-hug.jpg]

NickT