Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More powerful DeLoreans
Bandit Wrote:On my re-build I used the ARB Bushes Nick mentions & also the bottom arm ones from Ed. Its difficult to pin it down to any particular item on mine, cos' I renewed virtually every part, but as already stated, the car drives much better & feels more responsive & 'tight'.
ditto Big Grin

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I'll deffinitly be doing this over the winter, and use it as an excuse to shot blast and powder coat my arms as well. I wonder why they aren't available for the upper arms.

Are the superflex ones as good quality as Ed's? On Ed's site he lists the rear arm bushes as different parts than the front ones...
http://www.superflex.co.uk/results.php? ... &Search=Go

I wonder what effect the Trailing arm bush has on the rear of the car...
Dan1986 Wrote:I'll deffinitly be doing this over the winter, and use it as an excuse to shot blast and powder coat my arms as well. I wonder why they aren't available for the upper arms.

Are the superflex ones as good quality as Ed's? On Ed's site he lists the rear arm bushes as different parts than the front ones...

His look remarkably like Superflexs ones...
Thanks for that link Bozzy. I don't know why I couldn't find them! :oops:

I'm still confused though becuase on Ed's site he sells seperate bushes for the front lower arms, but Chris says the powerflex ones fit the front and the rear arms :?
Chris Williams Wrote:
bozzzydmc Wrote:
Dan1986 Wrote:I'll deffinitly be doing this over the winter, and use it as an excuse to shot blast and powder coat my arms as well. I wonder why they aren't available for the upper arms.

His look remarkably like Superflexs ones...

Having chatted to the Supaflex guy most of his stock goes across the water to one buyer. I have a load hear if anyone wants to see them in the flesh as it were before buying or needs pictures.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Quote:I'm still confused though becuase on Ed's site he sells seperate bushes for the front lower arms, but Chris says the powerflex ones fit the front and the rear arms

Technically the rear bushes and front Lower Control Arm bush (Part Number 100154) are the same but thats only if you buy the original parts.

If you go for the Poly Bushes then the Front Bush has to be modified so that it will fit. This is because the Arm slots in between two welded spacers on the chassis. The process involves cutting a slot into the bush, and boring into it on either side by a few mm.

That's why Ed's front bushes have a different part number - he does all this for you. I believe he has to put the bushes into the freezer before putting them into a lathe to modify them!

The only place that sells the Front Upper Control Arm Bushes (Part Number 100156) separately is DPNW. All the other vendors sell the Upper Conrol Arm complete with them installed. You won't get them in Poly because the Upper Control Arm is made from an old sardine tin and needs the metal case of the bush for it's strength.

If your upper bushes are OK avoid changing them as pressing out the old ones can make a mess of your Upper Control Arm unless you have good engineering facilities to get them out properly. If you do change them make sure to tack weld the new ones in as they'll spin in Arm when refitted.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Thanks Richard thats great info. I have a lathe at work I use from time to time so modifying the bushes is easy Big Grin My upper arms seem ok anyway so I will leave those alone then :wink:
Anyone who wants to know about the engine, can always give Martin a ring on 07976 619 759.

Also delorean.co.uk wont be shutting down.

A
A Van Wrote:Also delorean.co.uk wont be shutting down.

Well it's never actually closed down, just changed name and business partners 3 times in as many years :wink:

Dan
Daniel Shane Wrote:
A Van Wrote:Also delorean.co.uk wont be shutting down.

Well it's never actually closed down, just changed name and business partners 3 times in as many years :wink:

Dan

tell me about it!! :roll: could have lost my house because of DMUK :roll:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I thought the last thread was continuing quite nicely, with civility from ALL parties which was great to see, as previously things have nearly always boiled over.
Can we not put this to bed now, the whole DMUK thing and all the fallouts, we cant change what has happened, its just there would be some lively debates if it didnt end up going the same way all of the time.

Only my opinion..
Whatever suspension mods are done, at least get the car on the ramp and have a full geometry done. It is so important to get the rear thrust line to 0 deg 0 mins as possible.

Luckily I have (calibrated) 4 wheel alignment gear but it isn't half a trial and error with the shims by re-torquing them and only then getting a reading ! It is so worth it though. Big Grin

NickT.
Yes the alignment is well worth it. I noticed a huge difference after getting mine done.
That's something I definitely need to get done soon. After replacing most of my components the front tracking has only been set by brick and tape measure! And the rear hasn't been touched. Sadly that's one of those things I can't do myself at home and have to pay someone else to do.

I have noticed that if I go at high speed over a dip and then steep rise in the road while cornering, the loaded front tyre feels a bit 'funny' through the steering. Not sure if that's an alignment thing or the moving control arm Dan was talking about earlier. It could even just be my front tyres flexing.
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152