Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me know everything DeLorean!
We had a six year join up some years ago. He is still not old enough to Dive his Turbo charged D on the road.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
OHH Shock Forgot to say, dont use your dads tools and leave then out in the rain, like I did!!! :roll: it might give you some grief.
Vin #1458
My reputition proceeds me....>
Dan1986 Wrote:When I used to spend time on the Reliant owners forum (don't laugh) there was a kid on there who was 13 and owned about 10 reliant robins! He had been buying fixing and selling them since he was 10!!

"dont laugh"...lol..how can we not?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DOC # 595
That idea of getting a old car and seeing how it works is very good, but I HIGHLY doubt my mum will ever ever ever let me do it, plus there is not much space do strip the car down anyway Cry

Although, I am going to a camp thing for a week that will teach me basic car maintenance and basic driving skills, its not as good as that place that Claire Usher went to, but its a start!

Like I said, I will talk to my mechanic friend, hopefully today, and see if we wouldnt mind helping me out! He might even have a few old £50 cars around that I could strip down etc. if I am really lucky!
"How cool would it be if we just came across a DeLorean!" -Alex off The Apprentice Big Grin
Money in the DMC fund: £412 aprox. - Target: £15,000
Flux Capacitor Wrote:Although, I am going to a camp thing for a week that will teach me basic car maintenance and basic driving skills, its not as good as that place that Claire Usher went to, but its a start!!

steady on mate, I said it was a youth club that my DAD belonged to in
the 1960's - I aint that bloody old!! lol :lol: :wink: :lol:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
OK, well the club Claire Usher's dad went to, then! Tongue
"How cool would it be if we just came across a DeLorean!" -Alex off The Apprentice Big Grin
Flux Capacitor Wrote:
Jonny Jones Wrote:Wow! Must be the youngest member of the forum, even the DOC?

I don't want to ruin your excellent plan of owning a DeLorean by age 17, but I dont think you'll be able to get insured on one of these cars, unless you have a stupid amount of money set asside purely for insurance. Perhaps when you're 23 - 25? Anybody feel free to put me right about this, but I cant see myself (being 24 in November) getting a great insurance quote before im 25 or over. However it is fantastic you want to learn the ins and outs of the car / cars in general! I can see you being a car mechanic when you're of age! Big Grin Best of luck mate Big Grin

As long as I am earning enough money I dont mind spending it on the DeLorean, also I will put my dad as first driver :lol:

I happen to know someone who is a mechanic so I will see if they have any free time if they would mind showing me a engine and how it works etc.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice everyone! Smile

Ahh fair enough mate! Best of luck Big Grin
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
Jonny Jones Wrote:I don't want to ruin your excellent plan of owning a DeLorean by age 17, but I dont think you'll be able to get insured on one of these cars, unless you have a stupid amount of money set asside purely for insurance. Perhaps when you're 23 - 25? Anybody feel free to put me right about this, but I cant see myself (being 24 in November) getting a great insurance quote before im 25 or over.
I was insured on mine (in my own name) from age 19.
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
Chris P Wrote:We had a six year join up some years ago. He is still not old enough to Dive his Turbo charged D on the road.

Your not talking about tourettes tony are you???? LOL Big Grin
Kelvin Tan
Rottbott Wrote:
Jonny Jones Wrote:I don't want to ruin your excellent plan of owning a DeLorean by age 17, but I dont think you'll be able to get insured on one of these cars, unless you have a stupid amount of money set asside purely for insurance. Perhaps when you're 23 - 25? Anybody feel free to put me right about this, but I cant see myself (being 24 in November) getting a great insurance quote before im 25 or over.

About how much was that?
Flux Capacitor Wrote:
Rottbott Wrote:

About how much was that?
Stupidly expensive, but it's relatively reasonable once you're 21 and have some NCB under your belt. If possible buy a cheap car as soon as you can (i.e. age 17) and start earning NCB.
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
Yeah, I was thinking of doing that, although putting my dad as first driver would help the insurance, so I am gonna do that, I am sure he wont mind.
It will make it cheaper at the time, but more expensive in the long run unless you make sure you're earning your own NCB which you usually won't as a named driver.
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
True, but the older I get the more money I will get so I will hopefully be able to afford a bit more then, plus I will be older and I will have been driving already so it wont be as expensive as being a new driver... I hope.