Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me know everything DeLorean!
At the moment I only know the basics of cars, like the basics of the engine (air and fuel combusting to run the car, and that you need oil or your engine is screwed) but I want to know everything by the time I get my D at 17 so I can take proper care of it and repair it when needed, so can anyone tell me good places to start learning about DeLoreans and cars in general?

Thanks in advance! Smile
"How cool would it be if we just came across a DeLorean!" -Alex off The Apprentice Big Grin
Money in the DMC fund: £412 aprox. - Target: £15,000
Flux Capacitor Wrote:At the moment I only know the basics of cars, like the basics of the engine (air and fuel combusting to run the car, and that you need oil or your engine is screwed) but I want to know everything by the time I get my D at 17 so I can take proper care of it and repair it when needed, so can anyone tell me good places to start learning about DeLoreans and cars in general?

Thanks in advance! Smile

When I was your age (, oh how I feel old) and doing my A levels I also went to night courses on car maintenance. This gave advice in a hands on way to learn about mechanics. If you were to do something similar It should give you a start about servicing, changing oil, fluids, spark plugs, wheels & tyres, basic electrics etc and give you confidence in doing so. It will also give you an idea about which tools to buy to do the jobs. Luckily the Delorean is mostly metric (follows the metric system ie mm millimetres) so the tools you buy will be applicable to most modern cars.
You can also apply the experience to modern cars too and do your own servicing.

Good luck and enjoy learning Big Grin

NickT
Thanks, thing is I am not 17 now, thats when I aim to get my DeLorean, right now I am just 13 (14 next month) and I want to learn all I can, and I doubt I can do night school things when I am 13.

Sorry if I wasent clear.
"How cool would it be if we just came across a DeLorean!" -Alex off The Apprentice Big Grin
Hey mate, Smile

Definitely a good idea to swot up on everything DMC before you get the actual car (I wish I had! :roll: ) If you haven't already done so, joining this club would certainly be a great start! Big Grin

There is an ever growing database on this forum, usually if you have any problems with your car, there is plenty of advice on hand from experts and people who often from personal experiences have plenty of helpful knowledge and advice. Big Grin

PJ Grady have also recently held a tech session for new/prospective owners and I'm sure they will hold more in the near future. This is another way to gain all important knowledge about the car, plus it's a great day out! Big Grin

You could get yourself an owners or workshop manual if you wanted to get down to the nitty gritty stuff. Stainless Steel Illusion is another great book covering the whole story behind the car and the company.

I just wish there was a Haynes style manual for the car or more in my case something like DeLorean's for dummies! :lol: :oops:

Hope this helps you out matey. Big Grin

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk
Crikey, I didn't realise you were that young! Shock

Now I am starting to feel very very old... Shock :oops: Sad

It'd be cool if you can do a project on the DeLorean at school though. Big Grin

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk
The only way to learn it is to do it.
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
Thanks Carl, lot of good info there!

I will look at getting the book and joining this club, if I can go out to a event it would be great but they are always so far from where I live and my parents are not gonna go and take me anywhere far away unless its to something they are interested in as well, and they are not DeLorean fans Sad
I always had encouragement from my parents to do mechanical thing when I was your age. I started off with meccano when I was very young then moved onto lawnmower and strimmer engines and buiding go-karts and bikes with them, then later onto fixing and servicing cars then onto building a road legal trike when I got my licence, then onto more vehicle repairing, bit of bodywork etc, then got my delorean :wink: Rebuilding a lawnmower engine is a great way to lean how an engine works I think. Then when its running you can make somthing with it to learn about other vehicle basics Big Grin
VIN: 6511
Wow! Must be the youngest member of the forum, even the DOC?

I don't want to ruin your excellent plan of owning a DeLorean by age 17, but I dont think you'll be able to get insured on one of these cars, unless you have a stupid amount of money set asside purely for insurance. Perhaps when you're 23 - 25? Anybody feel free to put me right about this, but I cant see myself (being 24 in November) getting a great insurance quote before im 25 or over. However it is fantastic you want to learn the ins and outs of the car / cars in general! I can see you being a car mechanic when you're of age! Big Grin Best of luck mate Big Grin
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
Flux Capacitor Wrote:Thanks, thing is I am not 17 now, thats when I aim to get my DeLorean, right now I am just 13 (14 next month) and I want to learn all I can, and I doubt I can do night school things when I am 13.

Sorry if I wasent clear.

You're never to young to start learning Big Grin You should still be able to go to night school. Ring up your local college and find out or try Learn Direct.

Good luck,

NickT
Jonny Jones Wrote:Wow! Must be the youngest member of the forum, even the DOC?

I don't want to ruin your excellent plan of owning a DeLorean by age 17, but I dont think you'll be able to get insured on one of these cars, unless you have a stupid amount of money set asside purely for insurance. Perhaps when you're 23 - 25? Anybody feel free to put me right about this, but I cant see myself (being 24 in November) getting a great insurance quote before im 25 or over. However it is fantastic you want to learn the ins and outs of the car / cars in general! I can see you being a car mechanic when you're of age! Big Grin Best of luck mate Big Grin

Thomas mcauley got his just before his 17th birthday, and that was getting it to his home. Never say Never.
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

[Image: DSC_0112-1.jpg]
Live the Dream today, Because I did it yesterday.
Jonny Jones Wrote:Wow! Must be the youngest member of the forum, even the DOC?

As long as I am earning enough money I dont mind spending it on the DeLorean, also I will put my dad as first driver :lol:

I happen to know someone who is a mechanic so I will see if they have any free time if they would mind showing me a engine and how it works etc.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice everyone! Smile
as a thought..... and obviously it depends on how your parents feel about
it, but my dad taught himself mechanics as at the youth club he went to
(in the 1960's) they were given old cars that didnt go to basically do up
and learn on. They had a field to drive them round too.

I know times have changed, but if they dont mind you doing it, you could
always get yourself an old car (prob for less then £50) and you could strip
it down and rebuild it all yourself with the aid of a decent set of tools and
a couple of good manuals. You never know, you might do that good a job
that you can then sell it on and make a few quid to boost the DMC fund :wink:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
When I used to spend time on the Reliant owners forum (don't laugh) there was a kid on there who was 13 and owned about 10 reliant robins! He had been buying fixing and selling them since he was 10!!
Hi,
goood, lad! i was about your age when I decided ..yep, I 'm going to get a Delorean when I'm older!
I first started out on an old red Fiat 500, learning where bits go ec, then I moved onto Skoda Estelles with engine removal and and stripping, gearbox dis assembly etc. In Uni I worked on Honda Bar f1 Car and vauxhall vectra touring car. Some Caterham 7s on table tops!!! and a load of racing honda motorbikes.
what I'm trying to say is buy a cheap car for £50, strip it down, learn what goes on then send it to the scrap, provided you got space of course and your parents dont mind Shock
Vin #1458
My reputition proceeds me....>