Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Start problem on DGS here we go :(
Actualy I supose it could be the idle speed motor I can hear buzzing as thats right near the cold start valve isn't it? Probably fine then. Weird why I can't hear the pump prime though, yet it starts up a treat when cold.
VIN: 6511
The black cylindrical object near cold start valve is the idle speed motor and will buzz when the key is in ignition 2.

As for your hot start, you could try putting a link in the fuse pump relay socket as per:

[Image: rpm-relay-jumper.jpg]

to see if your hot start problem improves.
If it does then it will be the fuel pump relay.

If you need to change it, then here is a guide on replacing fuel accumulator:

http://jason.kitcarmagazine.com/delorean/fuelaccum.htm

Hot start problem could also be rubber O rings in fuel distributor:
(fuel rest pressure test will should this)
Also note the "Shim" Big Grin
(Same image from my Fuel Injection book !)

[Image: pressureregulator.jpg]

[Image: hot-start-kit.jpg]

Images linked to Specialtauto, sorry if images appear large, but at least they are clear.
http://www.specialtauto.com

Hope this helps,

NickT
Hi Nick, thanks for that info there. I have just come in from trying out the jumpering of the relay actually! When I jumpered it I could hear the pump clearly so I know it definitely is NOT priming before starting. I haven't tried shorting it when the engine is hot though. I will do that tomorrow and see if it makes it start properly when hot.

Either way the relay is at fault because its not priming. I looked inside and saw the 555 timer and an electrolytic capacitor. I suspect its these that are at fault, is that likely? If so I can repair it....
For what it costs, try changine the 555 timer chip.

I usually solder in a DIL socket to the board so that a new chip (if required in the future) can just be levered out with a screwdriver and a new one pushed in.

Good luck, let's hope it is something easy like the fuel pump relay.

NickT
555 timer just replaced. Also replaced the 47uF cap next to it becuase it was showing on my meter as 75uF :wink:

Stuck at work at the moment so can't test it out till I get home :evil:
555 replaced and it still doesn't prime Sad :evil:
Just try jumping the fuel pump relay and see if this cures your hot start problem. Bozzzy may have a spare relay you could try in your car at EuroTec

NickT
Dan,

I got a spare fuel pump relay from my local German and Swedish, it's a stock part for them.
Think it cost me around £18.00 Just use the Bosch part number, cross ref as Volvo.

Good luck

Best regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Just checked my file and the German & Swedish part Number is:

3523639-7 fuel inj pump relay-green £19.50

Best Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Thanks for finding that Darren Big Grin Theres a german and swedish near where I work. This relay definitely primes the system ok?
Yes Dan, I've had one fitted to my D for a few months. Although I do admit to spending £60 for a genuine Relay, and keeping the German and Swedish one in the glove box now as a spare Big Grin

For £20 it's worth it.

Best Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
German and Swedish can't find that partnumber :roll: Is it for a volvo 260?
Ive still got a couple of new green relays, if anyone wants a spare .. i will bring them to eurotec ...
Dan1986 Wrote:German and Swedish can't find that partnumber :roll: Is it for a volvo 260?

Strange? that's the number on the invoice they gave me.

Ask them to call the Portsmouth German and Swedish branch, the guy's their are Delorean fans and will remember me.

Best regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Right I've got it Big Grin The inside looks identicle to mine. If it still doesn't prime I won't be very happy. Got to wait till I finish work to try it out :roll: By the way they are 26 quid now :twisted: