Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whos is this?
A friend of my Dad was at a classic car show the other week somewhere near Southend and saw this D. I thought of tourettes, but his isn't right hand drive or have those weird indicators on the side.

[Image: soa82y.jpg]
VIN: 6511
No that I know of this car personally (i.e. I am just being OT :lol: )... but you missed out the roof aerial, a specific feature on some rare RHDs :wink:
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
Yes I noticed the areal. I didn't realise it was a rare feature though Shock

I'm assuming its a genuine wooler hodec rhd?
Dan1986 Wrote:Yes I noticed the areal. I didn't realise it was a rare feature though Shock

I'm assuming its a genuine wooler hodec rhd?

Someone with more historical knowledge on the RHD (like Chrispy or Phil) can tell you all about it. But from what I know, the genuine Wooler Hodec rhd have roof aerial, round side indicators, white door lights (the little lights that lits when the doors are open)...etc

So you are probably right that this is a genuine Wooler Hodec RHD~

And from our website there's a quote:

Quote:AXI 1697, AXI 1698 and AXI 1699 all have roof mounted radio aerials fitted

So it could be either one of these cars too!
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

Hi

now i think this is a LHD to RHD conversion. sold a year or so ago.

Was owned by Dave Howarth.

Sorry Dave if i have this wrong!.

Some of the conversions done had roof aerials fitted, such as the Wales car also. and the Euro lights. Since found out to be retro fitted by a chap (Gerry Castle?) who convinced owners that this was needed.

Talking to Dave i thought this was a wooler car, but he had actually sat it it in the 80's as a LHD, so i nearly got caught out.
i did offer the chap serious money for it too!.

Sorry if some facts are wrong...perhaps the RHD experts Phil and Chris can confirm.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Gents,

Sorry, but it's not a genuine Wooler Hodec, it's just as it came from the factory !

My wife drove it to the show with my Son on board, I brought the one next to it with my daughter on board. Damn these two seat cars, just no good for a family outing Big Grin

This is what the note on it at the show said ......

This is one of only three RHD cars built in the factory. It was destined for the October 1982 Motor Show and built after the factory was taken over by the receiver as the staff tried rescue the company & launch the European model. Although completed & signed off as meeting the European Type Approval requirements of the time, it never made it to the rotating turntable on the DeLorean stand as the week before the show John Z DeLorean was arrested on drugs charges in the USA. All that appeared at the 1982 Motor Show was a conspicuous gap where the stand should have been !

It has a European Powertrain based on a Renault V6 (identical to the Renault Alpine of the same era). Unlike the LHD versions destined for America it has no Catalytic converter or emission controls and consequently benefits from an improved output power compared to the LHD versions. This particular car appeared on “BBC World at One” being driven by a BBC journalist round the DeLorean test track accompanied by DeLoreans chief engineer Peter Milner. Apparently gave the car a `rave review`.

Originally fitted for the type approvals with Euro spec square rear lights from a bus set in a black painted hand-lay composite surround, these have been replaced with the rather more elegant Giugiaro-styled US specification lamp clusters as a matter of personal preference (originals have been preserved).

About 9000 cars were made in total, and except for three all were Left Hand Drive. About 11 were later changed to RHD by a third party (Wooler Hodec), but this is the only factory built manual, RHD DeLorean.

Its original plate is AXI 1697, which I shall attempt to restore to it in time.

[Image: 0000_0000_000000AC.jpg]

Photo above, when bought at auction a few years ago, having spent 22 years in "The Patrick Collection". It's done 10,000 miles from new now.

It lives in Essex with it's yellow mate http://www.tinyurl.com/guw4y Shock .

Happy to meet up withany other D owners, and do the Southend cruise sometimes...

Nigel
Best regards,

Nigel (DOC 447)

`Stan` RHD VIN 5565
`Olly` LHD VIN 3720
and that yellow thing with odd doors :-)
Wow thats interesting. I never knew they made any RHD cars in the factory.

Another D in essex, there seems to be a few about but I've never seen any on the road. Where abouts in essex are you?
Dan, I'm in Brentwod.

My e-mail address is on this video - click it to view ('scuse me for not posting it directly for the spam reapers...)

[Image: th_cec21c9b.jpg]
Best regards,

Nigel (DOC 447)

`Stan` RHD VIN 5565
`Olly` LHD VIN 3720
and that yellow thing with odd doors :-)
Nigel Wrote:Dan, I'm in Brentwod.

My e-mail address is on this video - click it to view ('scuse me for not posting it directly for the spam reapers...)

[Image: th_cec21c9b.jpg]

Man! Your garage is my dream garage!!!! And the cars too!!!!

Nice to meet another RHD owner :wink:

P.S. it's amazing that my RHD's "mate" is also a Yellow Lambo Tongue
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

A fold up garage!! That reminds me of thunderbirds :wink:

I've never seen anything like that before Shock
Alright Nigel how have you been?? yeah we have to meet up at the seafront again sometime, maybe get more members down there aswell??
Kelvin Tan
my humble appologies.

did not realise that this was the well known 'patrick' car.

now i'm trying to think which is the one Dave H had...advertised a year or so ago.

Is Phil around?
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
dmckelv12 Wrote:Alright Nigel how have you been?? yeah we have to meet up at the seafront again sometime, maybe get more members down there aswell??

I'm up for that. I started an Essex DMC meet thread on the events section a few months back so maybe we can arange somthing on there.

You coming to eurotec Kelv? Want to go in convoy?
Hi Dan, yeah im up for convoying. ill be going with tt. Are you going up on friday???
Kelvin Tan
Yep I'm going on friday. No idea what time though yet.