Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Car build quality
Continuing from the recent discussions about Top Gear magazine and their comments about the build quality of deloreans. (one of the TG photos shows a stripped out car with the caption that this is how the original cars looked)

But seriously, how bad were original cars? what was wrong with the build? does anyone have any before and after photos or anecdotes from the Quality Centres in America?

Kevin
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
The Main trouble was with lining up the panels and the fitting of the Doors. The car was mechanically sound.

If The car was that bad as said in the Magazine, the cars would not have been driven on to the Ship!

After all I was there, the writer of the article was not!
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

[Image: DSC_0112-1.jpg]
Live the Dream today, Because I did it yesterday.
Thanks Neal, what about the interior quality. I've had people tell me that trim was falling apart?!?!

If the QA at factory could see that body panels were not aligned properly, why didn't they repair it there and then? Was it a case of not knowing how to or was it the fact that the cars needed to get shipped out asap to get income coming in?

I think the TG magazine was just jumping on the bandwagon with jokes about drugs and build quality so I wouldn't take it too seriously.
VIN #2969
DOC UK # 609
Like Neal says, the main trouble seemed to be lining up the panels in some cases. By most accounts this was due to the quality of the very early fibreglass underbodies.

To meet the production targets, DMC accelerated the curing process of the black underbodies. I understand they were essentially put into a very large curing oven. This of course was something that Lotus didn't do as they didn't have the same production targets as DMC. So it wasn't exactly a tried and tested process.

In the early days of the factory they were still experimenting with the curing times and temperatures and as such, there was a lot of variation in the early underbodies produced. Some were physically bigger than others in places! That lead to complications when trying to bolt the panels and doors on.

The early gullwing doors were produced from a different temporary Kirksite (sp?) die as the final tooling was not yet completed. As a result some of these very early doors reputedly do not match the standard of fit and finish of the later doors.

My car is essentially a really early one (one of the first?) and the panels fit fine. The doors need a little adjustment, but judging by the build date on my driver's door it has been retrofitted. I haven't checked the passenger door to see if it has a matching build date but it might indicate that the early doors were swapped for later ones as part of the RHD conversion process.

Best wishes,

Phil
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
I think in terms of build quality it will always be the case that a car will be built better the longer is is built for, look at TVR, their older cars fall to pieces while their new cars tend to be more sturdy.

My car has great interior build quality, yes there was alot missing but it was never there in the first place. Exterior wise it had the usual bad fitting of panels but with alot of time and effort I have got the doors perfect and most of the panels fitting perfectly too.

Shut the doors on any early car and then do the same to a very late car and you will feel and hear the difference, I have seen late cars that only require a finger to close the door while some early cars need to be properly slammed to get them shut. Most of this is down to bad latches or stricker pins, most Delorean doors will at some point give trouble but again, with time and effort most problems can be fixed.

If the company had been given another year you would have seen a big difference in quailty overall.
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.
I agree completely Al. The doors on Chrispy's (former?) '83 car shut beautifully. Considering the short production run of the DMC-12, the difference was remarkable. It would have been really interesting to see the quality of cars coming out of the factory in '83 - '84.
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
I was looking at a car a few weeks ago for the Lord Taveners auction and it was one of the last 1000 built, this thing was as new as the day it left the factory, only 800 miles on the clock.

I have never seen a set of doors close as well in my life, all it needed was a set of struts. Each one closed with a slight click and they where shut tight. Panel gaps where 100% and the interior was perfect, not even a screw out of place or a bad stitch.

In the end the car went for £30,000 Shock which to me is a crazy price for a car that will need another £5,000 spent on it to get it in 100% running order.

If treated right it will be the cleanest concourse Delorean in the world some day.
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.
My passenger door shuts really easily, just push it down gently and it clicks into place, but my drivers door needs more of a slam to shut it, which is annoying as its the door I use the most :roll: I have seen some D's on US ebay with VERY bad alignment and not always really early vins either.
VIN: 6511
What would it have taken to have a team of 6 guys (and girls ) at the end or near end of the line to align/re-align panels to the underbodies? I'm not saying this wasn't done. and it's easy for me to ask this retrospectively (I wasn't there either, Neal Sad )

Could DMCL have delayed the first shipment by a couple of weeks, just to get the alignment problems sorted?

it'd take ages, i know and I'm simplifying the whole process in my mind, so sorry!

sigh....

Dave.
Barson Wrote:What would it have taken to have a team of 6 guys (and girls ) at the end or near end of the line to align/re-align panels to the underbodies? I'm not saying this wasn't done. and it's easy for me to ask this retrospectively (I wasn't there either, Neal Sad )

Could DMCL have delayed the first shipment by a couple of weeks, just to get the alignment problems sorted?

it'd take ages, i know and I'm simplifying the whole process in my mind, so sorry!

sigh....

Dave.

That's why the QAC Quality Assurance Centers were set up in the US to help with the problems.
Some workers from DMCL were sent over to one of the centers in California to learn how to solve them. By late 81, Everyone could see the quality was getting Better. But more workers were taken on and the production double from 40 to 80 cars per day and the quality slipped.

More money was been spent to train the new workers and parts for the extra production of cars. Then the money ran out, and that was that.
Neal Barclay
Former Delorean Employee
DOC 324/Clock no.1804

[Image: DSC_0112-1.jpg]
Live the Dream today, Because I did it yesterday.
All adds to the character of the car i say... Big Grin
Kelvin Tan
Something I noticed recently. Chris N adjusted the doors on Vin 510 perfectly, but by the time it had sat up in the air on my lift for a few weeks they were terrible....now its been sat on its wheels for a week or so, all is Ok again. Obviously due to the thing distorting slightly.

I agree with what Phil said earlier, vin 20049 was the best screwed together Delorean I have ever owned, including the door fit. They definitely got the hang of things later on.

Its looking increasing likely that I will not be able to get Vin 510 running, MOT'd and registered by Euro-tech, if this is the case I will bring it on my trailer and may have a seat or two spare if anyone would like a lift. Some you brainy chaps can give me a few hints on trying to get it running!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
It would be great for everyone to see 510 Chris, Chris N and I were fascinated with some of it's features when it was with us. The car even has the original pen markings where Woolers were working out how to modify the underbody for RHD conversion. A true piece of history.

On the subject of early build quality - as mentioned earlier, some of the body tubs were slightly less consistent, but I'd be interested to know if the work carried out at the QAC's on the first shipment was REALLY necessary, or whether it was a case of having a team of QAC workers with nothing much to do and having to do something to justify their existence?

I can't imagine that Dunmurry would have shipped out a terrible batch of cars on their initial run.

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
On the subject of underbodies, what are DMCH going to do for their 'new' cars they are going to build?
VIN: 6511
Chris P Wrote:.............. Some you brainy chaps can give me a few hints on trying to get it running!

.......in exchange for beer Big Grin

NickT