Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cars the Star
dmc4087 Wrote:
Guinney1971 Wrote:just going through some tapes Rissy, and I've found the bit where the DeLorean is the no.2
best film car of all time - and after an opening piece by Jason Barlow (who I've got a picture
of sitting in my car Wink ), appears Quentin Willson, and his opening line is "lets get one thing
straight, the DeLorean is a pile of crap". Nice!! He goes on to call it one of the worst cars
ever made, and calls the "Renault engine a wheezy asthmatic pile of cack."

QW was pretty much spot on then Tongue

lol, but we're trying to promote the car to 'Joe Public' Thomas, not side with QW, even though
we all know the car has its foibles :lol: :lol: :lol:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pmBqK57gxE[/youtube]

Just need the cars the star episode uploading now Tongue
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Totally forgot about this! I have cars the star on DVD and can make copies if anyone wants one, unless Chris has sorted it already? Let me know if its needed.
HaHa...love the quote in there from David Quantick ( whoever he is ) " you've got these gullwing doors which are great except in a situation
where you're parked between to other cars " ... the guy is obviously an idiot and doesn't know anything about the Delorean...!!..and the fact the doors take less room to open than normal type doors...!!!!
phil349 Wrote:Totally forgot about this! I have cars the star on DVD and can make copies if anyone wants one, unless Chris has sorted it already? Let me know if its needed.

Well people, i'm back on Blighty soil for my holiday. I'm in Rugby, but will be on my way up to Edinburgh before the end of the week. I've not seen my mail in Scotland yet, so i'm not sure if anyone has posted me a copy of T.C.T.S yet, but if they have, then if you could reveal all, otherwise, Phil, i will take you up on your offer. I don't mind who i get a copy from, but i will be forever in their debt. ;-) to the value of a DVD at least. LOL!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I've got one to post up to you Rissy, but its not TCTS, I'll get it in the post tomorrow or
Thursday (our village Post Office only does half days on Wednesday's).

How long are you back for? Where are you jetting off to next time with work?
Guinney1971 Wrote:I've got one to post up to you Rissy, but its not TCTS, I'll get it in the post tomorrow or
Thursday (our village Post Office only does half days on Wednesday's).

How long are you back for? Where are you jetting off to next time with work?

Thanks Claire, that would be good. You have my parent address, so send it there please, i'll be there from Friday night onwards (in Rugby at MY house right now)

I'm on holiday until November 3rd. Not sure where i'll be going next, but i think its inevitable that i will have to go back to Russia again, and possibly one last visit to South Korea. I've been told also that at some point, i'm scheduled to go to Singapore again. But not sure on that timescale.

If anyone else is offering me The Car's the Star, PLEASE pm me for my parents address. I'd REALLY appreciate it if i could get this copy to watch before i go back to work again (since it'll be probably another 3 months before i'll get the opportunity again!)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
phil349 Wrote:Totally forgot about this! I have cars the star on DVD and can make copies if anyone wants one, unless Chris has sorted it already? Let me know if its needed.
Would you be able to run off a copy for me please Phil? I would love to watch the whole show, I've only ever seen clips of it.
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Nave not got around to it yet, it's on my list of 'to do' jobs. as soon as i have the new burner fitted to my PC.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Managed to get hold of a copy of this last year, so I uploaded it for posterity along with some other DeLorean documentaries.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n_oBV2osAg[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n_oBV2osAg
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Mary took SIJ 1079 to the Cars the Star film shoot which was at Lotus in Norfolk, I was away overseas at the time. The interesting thing about the day filming the Cars the Star with QW was that after he spent the day slating the Delorean his Bentley broke down, and caused him some embarrassment. None of the 3 Deloreans there on the day broke down, arriving under their own steam and departing at the end of the day under their own steam.
The next day QW wrote in the Daily Mirror (that well known first class erudite newspaper) that the Delorean was ''Carbage'', but interestingly he failed to mention about his Bentley breaking down .

A few years ago our magazine published an article from a 'member' regarding journalists writing about Deloreans. Here is part of this article for those who did not see it-

''What is it about motoring journalists? The Delorean is always good for an article, no other car with such a short production period has managed to gain such an interesting history. So for any journalist who is short of copy the Delorean is fair game. Where else can you start a story with a ‘bright young Turk ‘ climbing very nearly to the top of GM, move to his vision of a sports car 20 years ahead of its time, relate how the car was taken from an idea to on the road in less than 2 years, liberally sprinkle with one of the biggest so called scandals of the past 25 years and finally garnish with the fact that the car is such a celebrity, film makers give it a lead role in three of the greatest box office hits of the eighties, namely the ‘Back to the Future’ trilogy. Let’s face it the Delorean can make any poor journalist look great.
So why should so many of these mediocre magazine writers always have to write such damming articles about the car that every two years throws them a lifeline when their somewhat limited powers of imagination finally dry up?
The latest effort from a journalist of that leading car magazine ‘Classic Car Mart’, the one we all rush to buy each month, is no exception to the Delorean bashing rule. The rule was exemplified by Quentin Wilson’s ‘carbage’ in the Mirror a couple of years ago. The car bashing always takes the same form. The Delorean tried to compete with the 911 but just hasn’t the performance, all drivers spend long weekends locked in their car due to faulty door mechanisms, the stainless steel shows every finger mark, everybody in the United Kingdom owns a slice of every car, the car defies the laws of known physics at 88mph, the engine is a lumbering beast found in old Volvos, and, of course, the build quality is akin to a Trabant.
I have tried to find out what it is that drives our friends from the press to always home in these characteristics but fail to highlight the tremendous plusses of owning a Delorean, which I do not need to mention here as all club members are already ahead of me!..........................................''

A.Member.

Mike
I hope these wrongs will be righted in the forthcoming issue of Classic Cars magazine
featuring a DeLorean buyers guide.... those of us contributing (including myself) will
do our hardest to ensure that a positive spin is put on the DMC-12 for once......
Let me know when that issue is out, I may well want to take a look at it...
Currently drive a 2007 Mini Clubman Cooper D; 88000 miles in 5yrs, 1 month...
apparantly its the June issue coming out late April Smile