Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Sender
Hi All,

One of the things that has plagued my car for years is the crappy OEM fuel sender, I’ve repaired it numerous times but it is so fragile it doesn’t last long.

I know that DMC Huston now sell the improved new fuel sender and at $99 it seems very well priced.

Has anyone had any experience with these new units?

So long as it tells me when I’m full and empty then I’m pretty much happy.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Hi James

The main difference with this new sender is the size, its a few mm shorter than the last one and makes a much better seal now so you dont get the leaks that plauged the old one.

Other than that its still standard fair inside, they have updated a few internal pieces but its still pretty much the same.

It has its faults but thats just in its design and the fact the fuel tank has no baffles to stop the fuel sloshing about, it seems to be pretty reliable at telling me whats in the tank but I still like to fill her up before she hits the quarter tank mark, anything under that and the sender seems to freek out.
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.
Can't you fit a baffle in the tank?

I seem to remember reading something about the previous owner of mine doing something like that to it, but Ive never taken it apart to check, but my fuel gauge is pretty damn good.
VIN: 6511
I've got a DMCH fuel sender, absolute pile of junk. Wished I hadnt wasted
my money on it :evil:

The level drops to half very quickly from full, then stays there for ages, then
decides to wave around between half and empty whether you're
going up hill, down hill, or on the flat.

I might as well not have a fuel gauge for all the use it is.

Just my 2pth and experience of one :wink:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Claire Usher Wrote:I might as well not have a fuel gauge for all the use it is.

Just my 2pth and experience of one :wink:

Yep I've heard mixed reports, I beleive the new DMCH sender works by using a float with a magnet and reed switches at various heights.
But because there are only about 4 reed switches every time the float moves the needle on the dash jumps to the next position.

I think the new DMCH sender only has about 4 increments, hense the masive jumps the needle makes when the fuel sloshes around, where as the OEM one was infanatley variable and so much more accurate when working.

On a side note...
One way to stop the new fuel sender going all over the place when cornering/going up hills would be to block all of the holes in the sender and just leave one small pin prick at the bottom for the fuel to pass through. The level in the sender then wouldn't be able to alter quick enough to pick up every time you go round a corner.

Anyway enough jibber jabber, I'm still tempted as I hate having no idea where the fuel is.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Why not approach Josh Haldmen/Dave Swingle as they could supply you a s/h one from a wrecked car?

Dave Howarth might have an unused OEM one?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
I think John Hervey rebuilds old senders.... He might have a few lying about he might sell.
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.
I think mine was from Delorean1 and it has been OK so far.

As James suggested, the assembly is contained in a aluminium cylinder with a hole in the top and bottom. This is to dampen the fluid within to steady the reading.

The low light warning works fine too. Gives a little longer than the usual "light on - drive 500 metres then run out of petrol!"

The original unit I had in mine was from a saab and had wiper resistance from 0 to 100 ohms. Unfortunately the resistance worked in the opposite way so an empty tank read full reading !

NickT
Hi James,

I have one of the new DMCH improved senders.

Works fine! Big Grin

I do agree that it does "seem" to move in quarters, but hey it works, doesn't leak and makes the light come on when your low, plus it doesn't jump around at all. 8)

For the price it's cheaper than being towed off the hard shoulder, and far less hassle.

Best Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
I wonder in the case of Claire's whether either her unit is duff or the baffle/filter etc are loose or incorrectly setup as to why her readings are so all over the place...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Chris Hawes Wrote:I wonder in the case of Claire's whether either her
unit is duff or the baffle/filter etc are loose or incorrectly setup as to why
her readings are so all over the place...

Well, when Martin originally fitted it as a brand new unit 2 years ago, I
did ring him to tell him what it was doing, and I was just told that thats
what they're like :roll: I only got him to change it because my old one
wouldnt read higher then 3/4 of a tank, other then that it was fine.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Claire Usher Wrote:
Chris Hawes Wrote:I wonder in the case of Claire's whether either her
unit is duff or the baffle/filter etc are loose or incorrectly setup as to why
her readings are so all over the place...

Hi Claire,

I think you may have too many holes in your sender, I know of other OEM and Zilla units that had this problem.

I would be tempted to pull the sender and fill up some of the holes in the bottom to slow the movement of fuel in and
out of the sender unit.

The fuel level only drops very slowley as the tank empties so there is no need to have any more than 1 small pin prick
in the bottom of the sender. it will just mean when you fill up at the station it will take a few minutes for the guage to
move up, but that's no problem.

I'm sure that will fix the problem.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
JamesRGUK Wrote:I beleive the new DMCH sender works by using a float with a magnet and reed switches at various heights.
But because there are only about 4 reed switches every time the float moves the needle on the dash jumps to the next position.
James

I've often wondered whether the Nick T's or Rich H's of this world might be able to modify one of these senders and add more reed switches to provide more accurate readings. What do you reckon boys?
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Last I heard, there were 8 reeds in there. I think that's probably the most you could fit.

I have one of the DMCH gauges and I'm quite happy with it. True it is a bit 'notchy' and at certain points it can jump between one level and another, but overall it does the job well and is a million times better the the washing up liquid bottle and sticky back plastic original thing.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
It'd be nice if the parts supplied fitted and worked first time
without modifications !

NickT