Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax when buying from John Hervey/ Ed Uding?
Now that's magic!

You can't galvanise over epoxy! or change the laws of physics even if you use 1.21giga watts

You've been fed a bum steer here.

I maybe should have explained a little easier, Rob didnt mean it was just galvanised over, he meant it wasnt stripped of its epoxy before dipping...Andy Snell's (Explodaview car) was done exactly the same way as Rob's only 4 yrs earlier..the first I believe.

The technique used means the epoxy burns off very fast in the process.

Al
A bit risky, is it not, for any hidden delights below the epoxy
Follow my Restoration Progress at http://www.project2456.co.uk
VIN 2456, 2835
DOC 621
mnickels Wrote:I will look into the Epoxy stripper as I too am worried about the furnace. I have read countless restoration logs of peoples fights against the epoxy and hopefully this will be OK. Although the inside of the box section could prove more awkward.

Speak to Martin about the epoxy stripping, I know he has had a few chassis galvanised now and I'm sure he will have a contact or 2 who can help.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
mnickels Wrote:A bit risky, is it not, for any hidden delights below the epoxy
The chassis was checked over first and the dodgy sections welded up. It's just not necessarily worth the trouble of cleaning all the epoxy off when it burns off straight away when it gets dipped.
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
When a frame is submerged in Molten Zinc the epoxy is instantly burned off.

So any repairs should be done first. ( That is my understanding) They are previously submerged in Hydrochloric acid to remove any rust. ( we do this at work all the time).
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 

I maybe should have explained a little easier, Rob didnt mean it was just galvanised over, he meant it wasnt stripped of its epoxy before dipping...Andy Snell's (Explodaview car) was done exactly the same way as Rob's only 4 yrs earlier..the first I believe.

The technique used means the epoxy burns off very fast in the process.

Al[/quote]

Now that explains it!

However after going to the trouble of stripping down the car to just the frame, it's a bit hit or miss on treating hidden rust, even after an acid bath. I'd rather know what I'm covering over. And what about epoxy slag in the galvanising tank?

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
The slag gets scraped off frequently, but the baths are absolutely HUGE, big enough for very long lamp posts!

I once took a 140lb boat anchor in to one place and was amazed by the size of the set up. It made our 8' chrome plating tanks look like toys.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian