Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to the Future part III
I bought a BTTF III model a couple of days ago, the one with the stuff on the hood and the red/silver wheels. the wheels are proportionate to the original DMC, but on the movie they are the same size, front and rear.

The front wheel arches are smaller than the rear though, would this mean that the movie wouldnt be able to turn left or right as good as a standard D'?
Alexander Adams
Hull, East Yorkshire
DOC member - 389
Reg of first D experience - HEC 6T
Alex,

Sunstar is lacking attention to detail or more likely just trying to save money. The car they have used is just the BTTF I/II model with different wheels and the analogue valve component tray added on.

As seen in the movie:-
[Image: BTTF3.jpg] [Image: 1885_delorean_c_jpg_w180h129.jpg] [Image: 1955valveDMC.jpg]

Sunstar:-
[Image: sunstartimemachinebacktothe.jpg]

If you have some spare £££ buy a second identical car. Remove all four wheels, raise the suspension all round by scratch building using plastic/metal/araldite etc to create your newer raised suspension profile. Use the rear wheels off first model and install these at the front of the other car giving four matching sized wheels. Your lock to lock if to scale will provide the answer to whether the actual movie car was limited. Based on how well the movie car manoeuvred, I would guess that it had most if not all of the steering lock of the stock car. The other model could be used as donor car for material or you can buy the material (plastic/metal) from your local model shop or on Ebay. The donor car could be sold on eBay as some fanatics would need the parts for their 'other' BTTF modelling projects.

The model below was built from scratch. It just goes to show what you can do when you put your (sound familiar :wink: )mind/time/resources/patience etc to anything...

[Image: CooperBTTFTrain1.jpg] [Image: CooperBTTFTrain3.jpg]
[Image: CooperBTTFTrain2.jpg] [Image: CooperBTTFTrain4.jpg]

I found this model maker on Google ages ago. He has made all kinds of movie crafts/vehicles from Scratch...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
now a model train like that i would buy Smile
bozzzydmc Wrote:now a model train like that i would buy Smile

Agreed !

That's a brilliant scratchbuilt model!

If you buy an Aoshima kit of the BTTF III DeLorean, the suspension height and wheels are pretty much on par with the movie version.

And if memory serves, I think the Welly BTTF III car share's it's mould with the Aoshima kit? And I "think" that the Welly is also an accurate representation in terms of the wheels/suspension height......

Cheers,

Tris
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
They did a bunch of things to the car in the third film to make those action sequences work. From what I understand/remember they swapped out the suspension and 'drive train' to make it run better over the ground in 1885 chase sequence.

The producers of the film say they had Porsche engines in all the cars they used in the sequels, but the text commentary on the third film says they used a Volkswagen suspension and drive train with a 'racing engine'.

I happen to think that the car in that configuration (with all that extra crap on it) is the best look the delorean had in all three films. It gives the greater impression that the car was worked on and bodged together. I wonder if the car exists in that configuration somewhere....

Dave.
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
chris

like the train find for me i buy one know mate
Glen, the train was scratch built with countless hours put into it. I remember reading that two were built and that is it. If you wanted one built you will have to find him first and have lots of £££ as it wouldn't be cheap... I suggest Google as your starting point as that is how I found him...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Thanks for everyone's replys. But would having the same sized front wheels as the rear really make the car not able to turn well at all?
Alexander Adams
Hull, East Yorkshire
DOC member - 389
If you look at the images from the movie in the above post you can see the 50's wheels are not only big but skinny. Having looked at the Sunstar image the rear wheel is as wide as the stock rear DeLorean wheel. Your scratch building skills would require you to remove the tyre, trim the width of the wheel hub (cut down centre remove the required thickness from the inside of both halves and reglue). This would retain the hub join and visually would still look neat. The same could be done with the tyres before regluing them with a flexible black rubber compound. The result would be narrow tyres like in the film. The increased ride height would allow the same turning circle as the car in the movie.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
if the ride height was NOT altered would the 50's wheels fit under the arches?
Alexander Adams
Hull, East Yorkshire
DOC member - 389
The wheels used in the film were of a larger diameter (see the pics in the first post). Doc knew the car would be going over rough ground, just gravel trails at best. Doc being the innovator he was came up with the 4x4 stance (even though the DeLorean is 4 wheel x 2 wheel drive). Choosing larger diameter wheels meant the ride height needed to be increased to accomadate them whilst giving the ground clearance required for the Old West of 1885.

The Sun Star Wheels are still not accurate in diameter as they are based around the stock DeLorean wheels. If you want true accuracy buy one of the 1:24 scale plastic kits which has everything to scale. Aoshima make the best ones and this UK vendor sells the Part III car for a tenner:-
http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=A ... e&ct=title
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
I find the minichanps are one of the most detailed models mor the money. I dont think they do a bog standart car though, they are all BTTF replicas........ Am I wrong? Smile
And my spelling is awful incidently!! I meant MINICHAMPS and FOR the money!!!
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:I find the minichanps are one of the most detailed models mor the money. I dont think they do a bog standart car though, they are all BTTF replicas........ Am I wrong? Smile

I have a standard DeLorean from Minichamps and a BTTF one......

Tris
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales