Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
engine hunting
yep been there mate, it could be a few things, just do one thing at a time, it does sound like it could be the oxy sensor, maybe its registering weak all the time, maybe. nick is the man to know tho TT just dont give up they are a 26yr old car and need love and hate
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
love and hate eh are you sure

sometimes when its all going wrong i cant stand it
what makes things worst is i going to america 1st of may i got one month to save for my spending money
i just bought a new in car dvd thingy for the delorean and after may it was going into p j to get all the body done now its going to have to go in early to be sorted
i gather they can sort it all out that is

didnt win f all on lotto tonight
things cant get much worst
the trans ams in bits for restoration

i going to have to drive

d d d d d
a normal car
aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

H E L P !!!!!!!!!!!!
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
YOUR MUMMA WAS A SNOW BLOWER!!!.....
Did you do the test I posted earlier?

NickT
I havent yet i will do that when im of i got more time to play about with it
thankyou for that though you lot are well helpfull

i was a bit scared of disconnecting that o2 sensor cause when mine broke on my transam the car wouldnt go past 30 mph and was like it lost 2 of the 8 cylinders it was a nasty day and an awfull journey to pipe craft to sort out

but no the dmc is home i will try i didnt want to get stuck at work im off wednesday so i will let you know then

have you had this problem in the past
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
tc ozzie Wrote:I havent yet i will do that when im of i got more time to play about with it
thankyou for that though you lot are well helpfull

i was a bit scared of disconnecting that o2 sensor cause when mine broke on my transam the car wouldnt go past 30 mph and was like it lost 2 of the 8 cylinders it was a nasty day and an awfull journey to pipe craft to sort out

but no the dmc is home i will try i didnt want to get stuck at work im off wednesday so i will let you know then

have you had this problem in the past

tz ozzie,

Just to make myself clear, when I have been refering to disconnecting the oxygen sensor, I have meant the electrical connection as my earlier post, so don't worry about it being taken to an exhaust place just yet.

NickT.

"Try disconnecting the oxygen sensor electrical (blade) connector and see if it steadies the engine idle.
The connector is on the rear bulkhead drivers side (LHD).
You will see it if you remove the rear wheel and look for a single black electrical cable.

If it steadies out the idle then we can narrow it down to a fuel mixture problem.

Double check that all vacuum pipes are connected correctly, especially the ones on the distributor solenoid bullkhead side of the fuel distributor. "
ok no worrys it got tobe something mad cause i filled up a full tank thursday and its all gone today and i only am 10 miles from work normally i can go a week and half with out having to fill up aain its really used some
how expensisive was that
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
THANKYOU ALL I WILL TRY THOSE THINGS AGAIN WEDNESDAY AND GET BACK TO YOU ALL ON THIS TOPIC
OK

THANKYOU
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
Right guys and girls
o2 sensor disconnected
no difference in running its still chucking petrol out back and running like a pile of crap now and still hunting hot or cold
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
With the O2 sensor still electrically disconnected, have a look and see if the frequency valve is buzzing with the engine running.

It has a white electrical socket, is located on the cylinder head rocker cover near the coil cover. This is near the jump start post on the right that has a large red cable.

The frequency valve looks like:
[Image: freq-valve.jpg]
but has 2 large black hoses coming from it.

If it is not buzzing then the car will run very rich.

Did the symptons of the hunting come on at once or did it start gradually over time? Did you happen to put new relays in when this started?

NickT.
Hi, This won't help your problem tony, but I'm just curious.

As my car does'nt have a frequency valve or a lambda sensor, then the lambda control unit is completly redundant is that right?

If so then am I right in thinking the throttle enrichment microswitch, engine diagnostic plug and thermal throttle enrichment (what is that?) are also redundant??
VIN: 6511
If you haven't got a fuel distributor with the lambda bleed off ie a bog standard K-Jetronic one then you don't need the fuel computer or the lambda sensor at all.

If you have an automatic gearbox then you would still need the Wide Open Throttle (WOT) switch connected to the gear computer. In this instance, the double switch could be replaced with a single but checked to ensure it is on the correct connection at the wiring loom.

NickT
Thanks for clarifying that Nick Big Grin and my car is manual btw. Sorry for going a bit off-topic there!
VIN: 6511
mine is manuall transmision
this unit is not buzzing one way or the other
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
as for the hunting it has allways been hunting wver scince i owned it but it used to stop when the engine warmed up now this does not happen it hunts all the time reving up and reving down and generally using lots and lots of petrol
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
We're getting somewhere.

It should buzz all the time with the oxygen sensor disconnected and the engine running.

If it isn't then the car will run really rich.

I am assuming that you have the correct fuel pump relay in and have NOT done the following:

[Image: rpm-relay-jumper.jpg]

....as you need 12v from 87b to the lambda relay.

Double check that the frequency valve has its electrical connection on and/ or check the electrical connections at this white plug.

Double check fuse #7 is OK.
Remove the lambda relay (Module 12).
Reference to specialtauto:

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/ ... ences.html

Remove the relay and look at the image (pin view):
[Image: bosch_pinout.gif]

Check with a multimeter that you get continuity between 87 and 87a.
The unmarked pins are 85 and 86 and this is the coil.
When you put 12v across pins 85 and 86 then you should get continuity between 30 and 87 and also between 30 and 87a

Let me know if these tests are OK.

NickT.