Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broke Input Line To Fuel Filter
Well I have screwed up big style now Sad

Went to put everything back together today and the lower metal input line for the filter is leaking from the metal connector.

I think I have cracked the pipe inside the fitting, its not leaking from the bottom of the filter I have established that but is deff coming from behind the retaining nut on the metal line.

I have no idea how I am gong to fix this without removing the entire metal line and replacing it, looking on DMCH site the line is not even listed, there is a picture of it but no number. I have seen a repair kit on SpecialTauto.com that might work but I want to do it right.

How big is this metal line? It runs to the accumulator doesn't it?

What is my best course of action???
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.
Hi Al, don't panic!

The union at the base of the fuel filter is a standard hydraulic fitting. Take it to a hydraulic supplier and they will be able to get you a new elbow, a new collar and a new olive (the conical thing that does the crushing).

I have this exact kit for doing jobs like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAKE-PIPE-FLARIN ... dZViewItem

It's a great little tool to have for the future too. Flex the pipe away from the chassis and use the pipe cutter to cut it as close to the end as possible, then fit the new collar, new olive and flare the end. It'll look brand new and unlike Hervey's "solution", it'll be the proper job and won't look like a total bodge.

I've encountered fuel filter fittings that wouldn't undo, and like you, ones that when done up to the limit of their thread, refuse to seal.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Hi Al
Another option, (which is what I did with mine) is remove the pipe & have a stainless braided one made up. I had to cut the old one up a bit to get it out of the chassis, but once done, the braided one is really easy to thread back in, because its flexible.
They made mine up with the fittings on the ends left un-swaged, so you can thread it through the holes in the chassis, then once in place, just fit the olives & tighten up, its a doddle.
Julian
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
Right, its now sorted and leak free Big Grin

Took everything off and used PTF tape on all the threads, it seemed to go back together and felt much tighter than it did before, I must have moved the union when I was removing the filter and this caused the leak.

I will get all the new bits I need and then go back and replace all the old bits. I am sure what I have done will be fine but I hate to leave things that are old and grubby.

Also, go to my "wont rev over 5000rpm" for news.....
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.