Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone know
I was asked a few times over the weekend. How many Deloreans are there in the UK. I said about 180 but I was just guessing, does any one know how many there are? I know you cant be exact just an educated guess will do Smile
[Image: PICT0067.jpg]
DOC # 595
I was once told somewhere between 220 -250 but I dont think anyone really knows exactly. Probably ChrisP has a better idea.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I can't remember where I heard this but the figure I have in my head is around 300 and rising. More are being imported every year (just see how many new club members have cars they have imported) and there are cars in the UK, hidden in garages that the club doesn't even know about. I was asked about this just yesterday and this is one of the most common questions that I am asked so I hope it is reasonably accurate.

The other question I am often asked is how many were produced in total which is a lot easier to answer more accurately. For a long time a figure of 8,553 cars was bounded about about but now we know more cars that were partially finished at the end were completed so I often say 'nearly 10,000' as this can't be far off the true completion figure (although this is probably seems slighly on the optimistic side the data below seems to back this up).

[Image: DMCOctober81buildrate.jpg]
http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewto ... production

Progressing from above I am also asked how many survive to this day and again this is hard to quantify but the figures I have heard are around 6-7k so this is what I propose as an estimate. If many DeLorean's were bought as weekend cars/investments then low mileage and therefore a reduced chance of being crashed to oblivion makes survival for the majority quite likely. Sadly, I wonder how many good cars have been left to rot out in the elements...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Your car looks really good in that picture Allen! Big Grin
VIN: 6511
Wow now thats what I call an educated guess, with figures to back it up, nice one Chris, thanks for that :wink:
and thanks Dan, I took loads of pics of it before it went to Southampton Ill include the good ones when I can :?
[Image: PICT0059.jpg]
DOC # 595
I usually say they there about 40-60 on the road in the UK that are regularly driven.

Number in the country is probably not as useful as the actual number on the road.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
JamesRGUK Wrote:I usually say they there about 40-60 on the road in the UK that are regularly driven. Number in the country is probably not as useful as the actual number on the road.
Good point! Smile
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
Won't the DVLA have some sort of idea??
Kelvin Tan
Chris Hawes Wrote:I have in my head around 300 and rising. More are being imported every year.

The other question I am often asked is how many were produced in total which is a lot easier to answer more accurately. For a long time a figure of 8,553 cars was bounded about about but now we know more cars that were partially finished at the end were completed

The figure I use when asked at shows is 'about 200 in the UK and Ireland', and I usually get the response 'That Many?!'
But it wouldn't surprise me if there are 350+ with I'm guessing at least 2 imported every month.
Al, next time you pass Swansea ask the nice girl in the DVLA if its possible the club could have a list for their vehicle register - if not then perhaps just a figure (or has the club tried this?)
Detailed info isn't nessasary especially with the Data protection Act, etc...
But a VIN list would be interesting.

There is a film of JZD where he used the figure of 9000 cars produced, and if you add the vins together you get a number very close to this

P20, P21 + P25 = 3
500 - 7199 = 6700
10001 - 12181 + 12199 = 2182
20001 - 20105 = 105

Thats 8990
If you include other prototype cars and the KAPAC cars then you've got 9000 + Deloreans
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Hi All,

my usual stock answer is 200/ 300. ( many are in museums and private collections and have long since dropped off the DVLA's figures)

I usually guess that about half are roadworthy, and of them, about half get used fairly regularly. So at the lower figure 200= 100= about 50!

So Joe public would have to be very lucky, to actually see one on the road.

From Sunday there will be one more....wearing a bush hat with some corks dangling from it, humming Waltzing Matilda !
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I have 2 paid for in the states and on their way after the easter holidays. One is driving and needs minor mechanical work. The other I intend to completely restore from frame to interior as it is not currently driving.

As well as this I am waiting on a response from the owner of this car http://www.dmctalk.com/showthread.php?t=7231 about the drivers side door as it seems to be less open than the other.

Finally I am considering this car but not sure how much work is involved in stripping the paint off. http://austin.craigslist.org/car/585423215.html

So with a bit of luck that will be 4 more on the road in the UK. Obviously I will not be keeping all 4 to myself. My plan is to exploit the exchange rate and bring in cars from the US. I will be keeping at least 2 though.
Personally i'd be very wary of a painted one. I have known several and they have all needed such a lot of work...if the new owners want to return them to Stainless steel. Just my opinion.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I might just get it resprayed black. Apparently it was parked under a tree for a long time and this is what has damaged the paintwork. He recently waxed it and it improved the paintwork but ideally it would need a respray. Mechanically it is sound though and only needs an angle drive. There will probably be a few other bits once I see it