Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering wheel removal
stunned_monkey Wrote:The threads in the steering wheel are M6 and with the correct tool, the steering wheel comes off just fine. James RG made one
years ago and when that went walkies early last year...

I wondered where that ended up lol, it went round most of the world at one stage, it
was a right little traveller, but I never had any trouble removing a steering wheel
with it.

loosening the lower steering column joint with all the associated messing around sounds
like a very long winded way of doing what should be a very simple procedure.

[Image: Wheel_Tool.jpg]
Just my 2p

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
thats a nice bit of kit there, mine was made out of an ols 19mm motorcycle spanner :lol: mc gyver tone is the name :wink:
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Believe me, I dodn't launch into it lightheartedly, it was only after trying a puller, heat, Dowsing in WD, Plusgas, brute force and all other options. I can send some pics of the stripped threads in the wheel boss!

It does sound longwinded, but sometimes, needs must...

But if Stuart can get his wheel off, great - it WILL save him hours!!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Hi Rich, I have heard of people re-tapping the holes with a larger thread if they've been pulled out.

Did you use a tool that progressively pulls on both holes at the same time?

The problem is the splines are ever-so-slightly tapered so you have a taper lock effect as well as 26 year old splines (!)

With the proper tool in place, you'll be amazed (and and annoyed, probably!) at how little effort it requires to pop the wheel off.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Well the wheel is now off after borrowing a mates puller. One turn of the screw and it came off!! :roll: easy as that
What concerned me last night was stripping the threads since 'I thought' that my M6 bolts were too loose but as I screwed them in, the fit became spot on.
Don't think I'll ever use a mallet to remove a steering wheel again!
Stu
:evil: Annoyed, :o Amazed & Big Grin Relieved
DOC 116
VIN 6237
BTW if you're moving the wheel around more than a spline or two, remember you realign the plastic thingy in the middle of the stalks which does the indicator cancellation, otherwise the wheel won't go back on.

...on that note, often this has worn out in the "not quite straight ahead" position, but the secondary cancel which is 180 degrees away, still works fine. Just rotate the cancellation ring round half a turn to swap these positions, and now the indicators will cancel in the useful position again.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Will this work as a steering wheel removal tool?? If so... will it fit the D??

[Image: 040210248.jpg]

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... nce-puller

Will go out to grab one from machine mart if someone could confirm that this will fit the D's steering wheel.

Cheers!
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
Hi John,

Looks too big to me, and you'd need very long M6 bolts if you were locking it on top of the wheel instead of inside.

I used a small length of 20mm x 20mm angle iron and welded 3 nuts on it.
The two outers locked off the 6mm bolts and the inner was 8mm for the puller.
Took about 30 mins to make and cost nothing.

Best Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Hi John,

Mailed you my steering wheel puller I made today 1st class Recorded.

Don't worry about paying me for postage, just mail it on to the next person who needs to use it once your finished with it. Big Grin

Best Regards
D

P.S if anyone wants it next just ask John!!! Big Grin Big Grin
VIN 4532

DOC-574