Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to join the DMC owners club!!!
stunned_monkey Wrote:As you know I've no vested interest in what car you buy Smile However, I will give you the standard advice which I know has been echoed by other experts.

It doesn't matter how much money you sink into a "project" car, it'll never be as good as a well looked after original car.

This is true. I will be honest with you I never thought there would be such a large number of options available to me. :?
Well said Martin.

If you do buy both cars and the "project" one gets on top of you, I will buy it off you.

Let me know how you get on.
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.
Never let it be said that project cars aren't fun though! Big Grin If you enjoy getting your hands dirty, you'll get far more enjoyment from a project than a "garage queen", AND you'll feel less guilty about putting miles on it. But if you're thinking of paying someone else to restore the car for you, you're better off getting a good car in the first place.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
mnickels Wrote:
stunned_monkey Wrote:As you know I've no vested interest in what car you buy Smile However, I will give you the standard advice which I know has been echoed by other experts.

It doesn't matter how much money you sink into a "project" car, it'll never be as good as a well looked after original car.

This is true. I will be honest with you I never thought there would be such a large number of options available to me. :?

Looks like a nice solid car there... well done...

( Did you get some decent pics of the underneath btw .. sure you must have )

Good find !

Mike
Yeah, it has been a rather "fruitfull" few months in the Delorean sales department. Dont think I can remember so many cars for sale in the UK before.

At the end of the day, no-matter what car you go for, you have the club behind you and there is a great squad of people in Ireland to help you out if you need it. There is about 10 owners within 15 minutes drive from you.
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
[Image: driversside1vn9.jpg]

[Image: driversside2zu6.jpg]

[Image: engine1uh8.jpg]

[Image: vinplatedm2.jpg]

[Image: engine2ze5.jpg]

[Image: frontundersu5.jpg]

[Image: keysyk5.jpg]

[Image: midfrontunderiz3.jpg]

[Image: midunderrn2.jpg]

[Image: parts1bu7.jpg]

[Image: parts2gl7.jpg]

[Image: parts3qo0.jpg]

[Image: rearundereo8.jpg]

[Image: speedonf0.jpg]

[Image: storageareasi3.jpg]
Pilot25dmc Wrote:Yeah, it has been a rather "fruitfull" few months in the Delorean sales department. Dont think I can remember so many cars for sale in the UK before.

At the end of the day, no-matter what car you go for, you have the club behind you and there is a great squad of people in Ireland to help you out if you need it. There is about 10 owners within 15 minutes drive from you.

I seen a Delorean drive past me yesterday on its way to Sprucefield. Numberplate was something like ANZ 9464 or something to that effect.
Pictures ! I like pictures Smile

And a Auto too Smile

Are all those spare bits coming with the car as well ??

Very nice Smile
Judging by the engine it has sat outside for a few years.

Interior looks ok I guess, it has the usual busted seats from prolonged exposure to the sun, no leaks by the looks of things so it must be pretty watertight.

Underneath looks solid enough but it would be nice to see the car in person.

Your best option here is to get a DMC approved shop to look at the car for you OR get an owner that lives close by to look at it for you. Just ask on DMCTalk.com and SOMEBODY is bound to live near to where the car is, they will be more than happy to give the car the once over for you.

Its good to keep your options open but dont get yourself in a muddle, you have the choice between a perfect condition car and a fixer-upper, decide what you want from the car and then go for it. The perfect condition will be ready to do whatever you want this summer while the fixer-upper might not even be ready for next summer. Whatever you decide to do I will give you as much help as I can.

ANZ??? I am sure I know the plate but I cant put my finger on the owner, there is about 6 in and around Lisburn.
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
That project car looks very tempting, especially with all those spares.

It looks dirty and neglected tbh, yes it will need seat covers, but I reckon
selling off some of those spare bits of trim will go someway to paying for
that.

As an owner of a project car, I 'resent' the inferrence the a car like mine
could never be as good as a pampered one. I bought what I could afford
at the time, and over 5 years on, its still not finished, but I put money into
the car as and when I can. One day it will be finished..... :wink:

Good luck with whatever car you decide to purchase, they are a great
bunch of owners in Ireland, and you'll certainly have lots of help and advice
from them. Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Here is import option 2 for $16,500. Have to look into shipping. Could be costly. Also the "hood" was replaced for a flat hood when it should have the gas flap hood. Are these difficult to come across to reinstate it? The car has 38k miles on it

replaced:

Fuel distributor and injectors (6 years ago)
New 02 sensor
New alternator D110
various sensors and otterstat
new radiator
New headliners on the doors
New brake master cylinder.

It will come with 6 cans of freeze 12 and a minor AC leak

[Image: p1010140yx9.jpg]

[Image: p1010121xt7.jpg]

[Image: p1010122xs8.jpg]

[Image: p1010123ea1.jpg]

[Image: p1010124tq9.jpg]

[Image: p1010125lp0.jpg]

[Image: p1010126ds3.jpg]

[Image: p1010127ky9.jpg]

[Image: p1010128er6.jpg]

[Image: p1010129gg0.jpg]

[Image: p1010131pk6.jpg]

[Image: p1010132yj8.jpg]

[Image: p1010133ac0.jpg]

[Image: p1010134du6.jpg]

[Image: p1010138cq1.jpg]

[Image: p1010139ln8.jpg]
Response to import option 1 as to what is wrong with the engine.

"Car sitting long time. Engine needs rebuilt"
mnickels Wrote:Response to import option 1 as to what is wrong with the engine.

"Car sitting long time. Engine needs rebuilt"

Arh ... now that makes a difference ...

Still looks a nice car for the money, its wether you want to drive one now or spend a 'few' months fixing one up ....

Second one looks good for the money, again get those underneath pics ..
If they can't take the time to respond properly.... there's a lot of little rust in the engine bay that I wouldn't normally expect. What's the chassis like?

For that price, I'd expect to be able to drive it home, and the wrong bonnet affects the value
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
stunned_monkey Wrote:If they can't take the time to respond properly.... there's a lot of little rust in the engine bay that I wouldn't normally expect. What's the chassis like?

For that price, I'd expect to be able to drive it home, and the wrong bonnet affects the value

He is going to try to get me pictures. He says there is no rust though. I am waiting on a reply to

"Is the epoxy coating chipped or bubbling anywhere on the frame?

I assume the triangular plate is still there and intact since the brake master cylinder change. Was there any corrosion from hydraulic fluid?"