Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
steering rack pass side tie rod slop.
under the front of my car today.

just a quick question:

there's physical movement inside the pass side gator i can physically move the tie rod up and down (that's from floor to ceiling) by approx 10-20mm. can't on the driver's side.

should this happen? The steering's loose at the moment , but that's due to a missing column bushing. there's no slop in either tie rod ends and the main rack is solid. it's just inside the gator where there's movement. What I'm basically saying is there's play.

any ideas?
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
you need a new rack, my one was the same you have a missing bush and i have heard of another being the same side as well. TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
are ya track rod end nuts done up if so then yep new rack or and new track rod ends
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
YOUR MUMMA WAS A SNOW BLOWER!!!.....
tie rod ends are fine from what i can see - minus the boot and some grease.

ho hum

I'll get those driveshaft people to take a look at it.

pain in the arse to remove? Sad

cheers lads.
- Dave Smith

quite easy to get out just cant remember what way left or right Cry TT

one thing i will say is dont cut corners and with things like steering they must be right, you only have one life. lecture over :wink:
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
The pass side rack bush fails and it's a rebuild to repair properly. It's a Lotus part or John Hervey is now replacing the original plastic ones with brass ones on his rebuilds due to high failure rate. Not sure if he'd be happy to supply the part seperately.

The rack comes out to the driver's side. Silicone spray grease or fairy liquid is really useful for removing and replacing the rubber mounts.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
got the rack out.

actually pretty easy Smile
- Dave Smith

yeah just wait till you got to put it back :wink: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Tourettes Tony Wrote:yeah just wait till you got to put it back :wink: TT

mmm, then get the rubber mounting bushings on the rack and the brackets over them :x
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:mmm, then get the rubber mounting bushings on the rack and the brackets over them :x
Chris

... without getting crap in your eyes...! Big Grin DO NOT forget the critical plate that goes under the square bracket - the flange on the rack slots into the two little tongues and stops the rack playing from side to side. I've had at least three cars come through my hands where that plate was missing, and it makes for awful steering.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk