Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Smell
Hi all,

just thought I'd share this one with you to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

My new fuel tank sender was showing that I was allegedly running on empty today, so at lunchtime I squeezed £37 in the tank. The gauge still didnt read full though, this time telling me I had just over 3/4 of a tank *sigh* :roll: (possible replacement for new sender hopefully in pipeline btw...)

Anyway, having paid for the 'motion lotion', as I walked back to the car, I could see liquid dripping from under front of car (air con inop so I know its not that). As crawling under the front of the car on a busy petrol forecourt was not an option, I drove back to work. I had a good look under the car there, and couldnt see anything dripping which I thought was abit odd.

When I got back to the car tonight, the smell of petrol was very strong but it did seem to ease off after a few miles. My worry of course, is with the possibility of a fuel leak combined with Flopsy throwing flames out of her exhaust at every opportunity....... Shock Shock

My immediate thought was that maybe the fuel pump boot was loose, but I have had it suggested to me this evening that the leak could actually be from the new sender itself - has anyone else had this problem or have any other suggestions?

I haven't got time to have a look at it tonight, but at least my Cav's been fixed today so I can go back to using that for work and have a rummage under Flopsy's bonnet in the relative cool of my garage tomorrow night.

Cheers,

Claire
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hi Claire

It appears you have the same problem as a few of us who have a new fuel sender fitted, ie when the tank is full fuel 'weeps/leaks' out of the seal on the sender, i will drop an email to DMCH and ask if they have an improved seal as no matter how tight i do mine is still leaks when i fill the tank to the brim. I have confirmed it is definatly this sender by removing one of the access panels and looking at where the leak is from when filling up. A couple of weeks i was up on the NY moors and it was quite embarashing the number of people pointing to my leak. I will let you know how i get on, or maybe James E can shed some light and hope on this problem??

Claire Usher Wrote:Hi all,

just thought I'd share this one with you to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

My new fuel tank sender was showing that I was allegedly running on empty today, so at lunchtime I squeezed £37 in the tank. The gauge still didnt read full though, this time telling me I had just over 3/4 of a tank *sigh* :roll: (possible replacement for new sender hopefully in pipeline btw...)

Anyway, having paid for the 'motion lotion', as I walked back to the car, I could see liquid dripping from under front of car (air con inop so I know its not that). As crawling under the front of the car on a busy petrol forecourt was not an option, I drove back to work. I had a good look under the car there, and couldnt see anything dripping which I thought was abit odd.

When I got back to the car tonight, the smell of petrol was very strong but it did seem to ease off after a few miles. My worry of course, is with the possibility of a fuel leak combined with Flopsy throwing flames out of her exhaust at every opportunity....... Shock Shock

My immediate thought was that maybe the fuel pump boot was loose, but I have had it suggested to me this evening that the leak could actually be from the new sender itself - has anyone else had this problem or have any other suggestions?

I haven't got time to have a look at it tonight, but at least my Cav's been fixed today so I can go back to using that for work and have a rummage under Flopsy's bonnet in the relative cool of my garage tomorrow night.

Cheers,

Claire
I had problems with mine a while back as well, only mine was seeping past the fuel pump between the rubber and it used to sit there for days until it evaporated. It was worrying worth checking out..
thanks Tony TT
hmm.......well I've just been having a rummage about, there is definate 'staining' on top of the fuel tank, but to be honest I'm not completely sure of the culprit...looking at it I'm actually wondering if its leaking from the filler neck - I've given the jubilee clip a tweak, but its pretty tight....I dont want to start forcing things though as the last thing I need is things either shearing or rounding off.

Luckilly Rich and Phill are popping by in a bit, however I have taken a couple of pics to try and show what I'm talking about - but I've no idea how to upload them from my desktop to this forum Sad - anyone?

Cheers for your help
I had the same problem as Mike just outside Dublin on way to Eurofest , filled up with petrol then when paying had some builder walk in and tell the whole store my car was drippin petrol....'over fill it did you'? :oops:

I dont remember a seal :roll: but I had one of the early ones.......
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
Hi Chris,

Rich Had a quick look at the top of Flopsy's fuel tank tonight and I showed him where the fuel stains are, and it looks like mine is leaking from where the fuel tank sender meets the top of the fuel tank - his and Mikes have done exactly the same thing and we are all using the new tank senders.

Hopefully, I've got a different tank sender set up coming soon, so fingers x'd that will resolve the problem for me and I'll have a more accurate fuel gauge as well.

Oh well, mustn't grumble! :wink:
Claire

Hmmm new sender?? More acurate?? You mean one that does not sway like a MFI wardrobe? :o

Now either you have found an OEM supply, or you know a man (or woman Big Grin ) who is good with mending the OEM ones ... or you found a Saab sender / Tankzilla...or?? Give us a clue lol

See u tommorow
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
ah, if I revealed my source and what I'm hoping to get I would then have to kill you :lol:

Well my original one would never read more then 3/4 full, but this new one seems to have a mind of its own and its driving me up the bloody wall. Its about as much use as a chocolate teapot Sad

As for the build quality of MFI wardrobes....... :wink: too much information? hahaha :lol:
I did have this problem from the fuel pump side of things - it'd pour out when the car was brim-full until the fuel in the filler neck was below the level of the top of the tank. Seem to have got over it now - just make sure that both the Inner and Outer boots are tightened - the inner one being the one that supports the pump itslef: this should also be water-tight. Never had teh problem since: if it gets as far as the outer boot, it's already gone too far it would seem...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
hi claire

i had the same problem on the way to yours last saturday i thought i fill it for the first time to see if my delroean.com sender works ok and yes it worket ok i went to pay for it and the adviser said nice car does it allways poor out water from the air con like that i looket around to see o oooooo my god the petrol was running out all over the place so ran out to the car turned off the mater power switch then got the fire bin a lobed sand all over it until it stopped then went on my way and it was you and Rich who told me only 1 click the the pump know so thats what im goimg to do also my level moves a little when going up hills but not that much
Tongue