Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diagnostics socket?
Hi all

I am currently cleaning the engine whilst the exhaust is off and this bracket and wires was loose (not bolted to anything) it was only attached with by the wire that has broken (i only gave it a gentle tug) all other wires were free!

[Image: DSCF2629.jpg]

I now have some questions!

1.Is it the diagnostics socket?

2. Should the bracket screw on to the same place as the auto trans dip stick?

[Image: DSCF2630.jpg]

3. where does the yellow wire attach?

4. the second wire (in the photo) has broken/ the other half is deep down where the cat was....(Do you know the one i mean) - there are three tiny wires inside (Red, White and bare?) - Can i twist them all together and solder both halfs back together and tape up - or do they have to be connected separately - what does it do?

worse case scenario i will buy a new one from DMCH - but can i fix it?

5. where does the final wire(S) go - t has a strange black male connector.

6. Could i leave the unit off?

7. what size nuts attach this to the engine block?

many thanks

Craig
Hi again!

It was the diagnostics and at $24 it wasn't worth trying to fix so i now have a nice new on my car from dmch.

Craig
Unless you want to win awards for having a totally original engine bay, the thing as as much use as a fart in a wetsuit. It can only be read by an early 80's Renault diagnostic tool and it doesn't tell you anything more useful than an independent rpm signal. Throw it away, you'll never need it, and you WILL swear at it if you ever have to take a gearbox out.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
You can use the pin in the diagnostic socket that connects to the frequency valve. Saves getting at the diagnostics pin on the fuel ecu.

Connect a dwell meter to this and the engine block.
Adjust fuel mixture to give 50% duty cycle
(45 deg on 90 degree full scale deflection)

NickT.