Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Detailing and Leather Care
so would any polymer wax polish do the same job?

We've got some Meguiars Tech Wax which is Polymer based and
is brilliant on our painted cars.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hello John and Sonia. Welcome to the Forum!

Being one of the members of the club who is actually a Car Valet come jack of all trades, I am interested to know exactly the types of product you are distributing. Most aspects I already have covered, with little need for any improvement. The only thing I struggle with is a "Quick makeover" product for the engine compartment. Now engine laquer is a good product, but I find it a little false, and tends to turn yellow after a few months, then going brittle, then flaking off making the engine look awful. I have never used it on my DeLorean, and I don't intend to because of this. A find a light coat of silicone or super rubber dressing great, but then you suffer with debris and dust sticking to the parts again making it look awful.

If you have a product that sound like it might do the trick, please let me know!

Ben
Hi John & Sonia,

Sounds interesting! Someone from our garage will be in touch. We'd be happy to trial it on a few cars we have here - and feedback to you.

We're always on the lookout for new products - so if it's good - we'll openly endorse it.

And if you have anything that stops fingerprints forming on stainless surfaces - you'll be millionaires!!!!!!!

Best wishes

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Do you sell any stuff that removes wax from the textured plastic side strips/ bumpers off cars?

I polished my astra earlier this year and got some of the autglymm polish on the plastic. I used the bumper gel to try and remove it but it just covered it up. The bumper snot erm,I mean gel only seems to work for about a week anyway.

Cheers

NickT
I may have to try some of the stuff you suggest on my engine then john. As for my leather, its relatively new anyway, but I use a product called "leather forever" which i'm sure is as efficient as it can possibly get. I can also agree on the long term effects of bumper gel on certain plastics, making them prone to go soft......... The plastics on the DeLorean are not of this nature, and using such products can only preserve the life of them in my opinion, as does super rubber dressing on tyre walls and treads prevent them from perishing.

Glass can be another issue, i've found the sprays to smear, even the so called non smear.(expensive ones too, usually are ok when you do them, but the smears appear after a few hours) and the cream's tend to be dusty when you remove them, thats if you can get them to the edges without getting the stuff on your trim.

I've used nearly every cleaning chemical supplied to the trade, but we tend to be creatures of habit, and I am biased to the products I know to work.

And Nick, I've know of something that will get all that white off your textured mouldings, and it's not chemical.

If I can get one from work tomorrow, i'll pm you, and send it you.

Cheers all

Ben
Hi,

Besides the Delorean I run a fleet of Rolls and Bentley's for weddings, and was trained at the Bentley Factory in Crewe, some of you may have see the recent slot on Fifth Gear with Vicky Butler-Henderson at the training School.
We were trained on Rolls-Royce and Bentley cleaning and upkeep.
With respect to leather care my cars take some abuse, scuffs and dirt to the leather. The best cleaner I have found is made by "Gliptone" and is PH neutral. It does take a little elbow grease to get off stubborn marks but it leaves no residue and is "kind" to leather. As a point of note most quality leather is Drum dyed which means the colour goes right through the leather and dyes the back. If in doubt look at the back of your trim. If its biege/brown then its only surface coloured. Be careful with any products on this type of leather, if you damage the surface you'll see it a mile away. Also a lot of so called leather re-colouring is just paint ! I do not know of any product that can re-dye leather. Paint is the very last resort as it will seal the surface and stop the leather absorbing moisture or cream, and will eventually crack like death valley. You cannot sucessfully clean leather thats been re-coloured. The only real solution is to replace it.
The best leather creams are either Gliptone "liquid leather" or Connolly Hide food (if you can find it). The former can be purchased from Frosts.
I'd welcome any "new" product for trial.

And for those of you who saw the Fifth Gear program, Yes I did spend a lot of my time on the test track skid pan in a Bentley Arnage T !
DEEP JOY.

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:........

And Nick, I've know of something that will get all that white off your textured mouldings, and it's not chemical.

If I can get one from work tomorrow, i'll pm you, and send it you.

Cheers all

Ben

Cheers Ben I'd appreciate that.

Nick
any one got any tips for cleaning and protecting alcantara?

My Astra has sports seats and side/door panels trimmed in black
leather and white alcantara, and the driver's seat is not looking its
best anymore after nearly 8 years and 67,000 miles of use/abuse.

Any advice on what products to use gratefully appreciated Smile
Claire Usher Wrote:any one got any tips for cleaning and protecting alcantara?

My Astra has sports seats and side/door panels trimmed in black
leather and white alcantara, and the driver's seat is not looking its
best anymore after nearly 8 years and 67,000 miles of use/abuse.

Any advice on what products to use gratefully appreciated Smile

Nylon tiger print pattern seat covers :lol:

NickT
NickT Wrote:Nylon tiger print pattern seat covers :lol:

NickT
what, like the ones in your car? Tongue :lol:
Claire, have you got a wet/dry vacuum cleaner? If so, get yourself some cleaning solution, ideally interior shampoo, failing that, a mild washing powder solution will suffice prividing all the powder particles have dissolved.

Wet the seat liberally with the solution, avoid soaking too much unless you want a wet bum for the remainder of the winter.

Scrub with a stiff brush on the material, avoiding the leather bolsters if possible, then suck with a wet/dry vacuum cleaner till 'dry to touch'

Finish with a dry clean cloth to abosorb remaining moisture.

Repeat as many times is necessary.

Feed yout leather bolsters with an appropriate leather cleaner/feed.

That should do the trick, if the car was here, i could get them up like new for you..... I'm sure you are more than capable!

Ben
Claire Usher Wrote:
NickT Wrote:Nylon tiger print pattern seat covers :lol:

NickT
what, like the ones in your car? Tongue :lol:

Great aren't they ! They match my pink fluffy dice a treat.
I look wicked wearing my Yankees baseball cap back to front "innit"

NickT
I agree totally John, and this is the next best thing if you can't actually "suck" the dirt out with a wet/dry cleaner. Terry towels are definately the best absorbancy!
we havent got a wet/dry cleaner (like a Vax?), but Phill has got
a steam cleaner.

Used that on the seats that we took out of the Cav GLi that we
scrapped - brought them up a treat Big Grin

Cheers for the tips and advice - someone had even told me
to use brake cleaner on the alcantara!! Shock