Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2000 rpm at start up
I have noticed this one off incident becoming quite a bit more regular where the car fires up (FROM COLD ONLY) and as it settles down to idle it will then settle on around 2000 rpm and stay there for around 30 seconds. Whether I drive the car or not makes no difference and blipping the throttle also makes no difference. After around 30 seconds it is fine...

I had the chips in the ECU replaced maybe two years ago as the car would suddenly rev highly even in traffic.

As the 2000 rpm is so consistant when it happens I don't think it is anything like a sticky throttle cable...

Does anyone have any ideas?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Could be poor connection on the socket on the thermistor and/ or it's associated wiring.

Use a multimeter and measure the resistance of the thermistor.
Disconnect the multiplug on the idle ecu that has 4 wires.
Connect a multimeter set to resistance between the black/yellow cable and the black/grey(slate) cable. You should get approx 10-15 kohms (depending on temperature) when cold and approx 3.5-4k when engine warm.

When the ignition key is put into position 2, the ecu fully opens the ISCV (Idle Speed control Valve) to assist starting. When started the idle speed should drop down. Check that the ISCV is not sticking in the fully open position.

Also double check positive operation of the throttle switch when the throttle is closed.

NickT.
Thanks for the reply Nick, can you give me some part numbers so that I can confirm the locations of the various areas to focus on?

http://www.delorean.com/store/search.as ... ++++++++++

the above didn't help...

Cheers
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Part numbers for what?

The Idle ECU is behind the drivers seat under the wooden cover.
It is black, plastic and has BOSCH on it.
There are 2 White multiplugs plugged into it.

The throttle switch is the big microswitch near the throttle plated located under the air filter plastic housing.

The ISCV is located near the engine oil filler on the left hand side of the engine. Bolted to the left hand side of the inlet manifold.

If you have a delorean owner near you, you could try swapping the ecu's over to determine if it is your ecu that is the trouble or your wiring/ sensors.

NickT.
http://www.delorean.com/store/c-338-2-5 ... witch.aspx